Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I drive at lower speeds - under 30-40 mph - over uneven road surfaces, I notice very low frequency resonances in the cabin, especially coming from the rear cargo area. less noticeable at higher speeds. Best way to describe the sound is a low frequency booming like a sub woofer. And it maybe being amplified more when hearing it from the front seat.

I'm thinking the only way such noises can be transmitted to the cabin is through the body mounts... It's still under warranty but not sure how to approach dealer. If it's normal, than it is what it is.

Anybody else experiencing this? Anybody have any ideas what this could be?

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
When I drive at lower speeds - under 30-40 mph - over uneven road surfaces, I notice very low frequency resonances in the cabin, especially coming from the rear cargo area. less noticeable at higher speeds. Best way to describe the sound is a low frequency booming like a sub woofer. And it maybe being amplified more when hearing it from the front seat.

I'm thinking the only way such noises can be transmitted to the cabin is through the body mounts... It's still under warranty but not sure how to approach dealer. If it's normal, than it is what it is.

What year is your truck?

·
Administrator
6,471 Posts
Some people with first gen armadas on this forum experienced something similar to this—i recall reading about something like this on older threads on this site.

Have you tried with the windows rolled down?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some people with first gen armadas on this forum experienced something similar to this—i recall reading about something like this on older threads on this site.

Have you tried with the windows rolled down?
With the windows rolled down, you don't notice it.

Looking at my alignment sheet (just got back from dealer after replacing rain sensor), the camber is unusually off on the right rear wheel. I wonder if there is a suspension component that maybe worn down that is contributing to that noise and alignment. Or it may just be out of alignment.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
With the windows rolled down, you don't notice it.

Looking at my alignment sheet (just got back from dealer after replacing rain sensor), the camber is unusually off on the right rear wheel. I wonder if there is a suspension component that maybe worn down that is contributing to that noise and alignment. Or it may just be out of alignment.
If you have an alignment sheet, why does it show as being out of alignment? Did the stealer put it on the rack, take the measurements and not align the vehicle?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have an alignment sheet, why does it show as being out of alignment? Did the stealer put it on the rack, take the measurements and not align the vehicle?
Good question. I think alignment and other checks are part of their procedure anytime a vehicle comes in. It says that it failed alignment but the dealer never mentioned anything about it. I like to read through the paper work and that's how i found out.
I'll go over it once more and give them a call.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Shame on the stealer for not letting you know that your vehicle is out of alignment. Ask some friends etc. if there is a local, independent alignment shop that they recommend. The stealer isn't a bad option for alignments as they should have all the proper tools, equipment and relevant training for your specific vehicle, but a good independent that cares about you as a customer is always a good option.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Did you get this sorted?

I'm noticing a similar sound/resonance in the cabin a low speeds as well, a faint "boom" on uneven surfaces or small bumps. I have no other rattles/creaks/vibrations otherwise.
Sometimes I don't notice it at all, other times is pretty obvious. Did you get this figured out? 2017 Armada 4x4, 30K.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm noticing a similar sound/resonance in the cabin a low speeds as well, a faint "boom" on uneven surfaces or small bumps. I have no other rattles/creaks/vibrations otherwise.
Sometimes I don't notice it at all, other times is pretty obvious. Did you get this figured out? 2017 Armada 4x4, 30K.
They said it was normal. They did a full inspection and everything is functioning the way it should.

well I'm stubborn and i don't think it's normal whatsoever. One day I was at the power car wash and as the jets were hitting the rear quarter panel, I noticed the noise of the water jets hitting the quarter panel got much louder than when the jets were up front. That's basically when I started to doubt that it was any suspension issue. The truck drives nice and smooth over everything with no drive line or typical suspension noise that would indicate worn suspension components.

So after the wash, I pulled the armada in my garage and started hitting the rear quarter panel with my palm and notice it resonates a lot more around that area and the cargo area than it does at the front of the car.

So I think it may be an insulation issue that there isn't enough sound deadening back there to dampens harsh frequency generated by the suspension. When I get the chance, I am going to dynomat the rear and see if this fixes the issue.

Other than that and the piss poor gas mileage, yeah just like you, truck is perfect.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
It's funny you point that out, I've noticed that area has a low sounding resonance to it as well. Definitely feels like it's coming from the back.... but that could just be the how the acoustics are working. I've even thought about changing out the rear shocks, they're not CRAZY expensive and don't look too technically difficult. Just don't want to drop the cash I don't need to. I would be super interested to hear how your soundproofing experiment works out!

Good news and bad news I guess. Good news is, it's pretty easy to get to that passenger rear quarter panel area. A few bolts and fasteners, just pops right off. There really is not much in the way of soundproofing back there. But, there's a lot mechanical/electrical stuff back there! Unbolting the Bose unit gets you into that quarter panel area. I didn't have any proper soundproofing materials, so I closed it back up.

Bad news is, I went down and drove a low mileage 2018 Armada at a local dealership. It had that SAME low resonance, booming sound over bumps at low speed. Maybe Nissan's right, maybe it is a characteristic of these vehicles. Knowing that doesn't make the noise/sensation any less annoying, but a little more tolerable somehow. Seems like I'm not the only one noticing it AND now I have first-hand proof that other Armadas share this phenomena.

They had a super low mileage 2015 Sequoia on the lot, I drove it too. I know it's iconic, it was overall a nice vehicle but much less composed, bumpy and interior was noticeably louder. I thought to myself, "if I am struggling with what I'm hearing in the Armada, I would really struggle with this Toyota." Honestly, at a similar price point, the 2nd gen Armada seemed MUCH nicer.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to absolve Nissan of what is obviously a design flaw.....so if there's any update out there regarding this issue, I would be glad to hear it.

In the meantime, maybe I'll look into a beefy set of tires on some stock 18in wheels to put a little bit more rubber between me and the road. Maybe that will change things a bit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Now you guys are making me pay more attention to the cabin sound. I'm actually sensitive to noises but this one seemed not perceptible to me, at least for the past 6k miles of owning the Armada. But I'll listen in closely and see if I hear a similar sound.

EDIT: I agree on the observation with 2015 Sequoia. Not taking any points against it but 2nd Gen Armada is more quiet and has less truckish feel. I don't know about the 2018 MY Sequoia though I figure it'd be similar with previous MY.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good news and bad news I guess. Good news is, it's pretty easy to get to that passenger rear quarter panel area. A few bolts and fasteners, just pops right off. There really is not much in the way of soundproofing back there. But, there's a lot mechanical/electrical stuff back there! Unbolting the Bose unit gets you into that quarter panel area. I didn't have any proper soundproofing materials, so I closed it back up.

Bad news is, I went down and drove a low mileage 2018 Armada at a local dealership. It had that SAME low resonance, booming sound over bumps at low speed. Maybe Nissan's right, maybe it is a characteristic of these vehicles. Knowing that doesn't make the noise/sensation any less annoying, but a little more tolerable somehow. Seems like I'm not the only one noticing it AND now I have first-hand proof that other Armadas share this phenomena.

They had a super low mileage 2015 Sequoia on the lot, I drove it too. I know it's iconic, it was overall a nice vehicle but much less composed, bumpy and interior was noticeably louder. I thought to myself, "if I am struggling with what I'm hearing in the Armada, I would really struggle with this Toyota." Honestly, at a similar price point, the 2nd gen Armada seemed MUCH nicer.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to absolve Nissan of what is obviously a design flaw.....so if there's any update out there regarding this issue, I would be glad to hear it.

In the meantime, maybe I'll look into a beefy set of tires on some stock 18in wheels to put a little bit more rubber between me and the road. Maybe that will change things a bit.
Thanks for doing all that! W/ pics too!

So I had a jx35 before the Armada. Had it in for service one time and they gave me a qx80 for a loaner. Maybe I wasn't as perceptive since it wasn't my vehicle, but I do not recall any low frequencies at all other than the typical harshness from bumps generated from the suspension (Pittsburgh roads). I remember noting to myself how quiet it was. Maybe in an effort to keep costs low, Nissan decided to forgo some insulation on the Armada (?). I will have to investigate further and test drive a pre-owned one.

It's definitely not the end of the world as I test drove too many Fullsize vehicles before purchasing the Armada and at the time none felt as button down, luxurious and feature packed as the Armada. Didn't even bother looking at the Sequioa. And just got back from a 400 mile trip with a 6x12 uhual trailer fully loaded. Can't be more impressed with the Armada. No fuss whatsoever.

Although, I'm very glad that I'm not going crazy here and others are noticing this as well. Next step is to see if sound deadening like Dynomat can mitigate this minor (for lack of a better word) setback.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
So I had over 60 miles on the Armada yesterday on mixed road types, highway and back roads - no off-road though. I really couldn't hear any low frequency other than sound of rubber (tires) impact against certain road imperfection. Nothing too distinct. Although I think the rear side could use additional sound deadening material.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I tried to tell my wife this; she said I was overreacting... 😒 It’s so bad I don’t even want to drive the damn thing it sounds like I’m listening to hip hop when I drive through town. Windows down make it “woof” even more. I think it's the design - it’s one big sound magnifier...

I did drive the QX80 and didnt notice the subwoofer copilot though... unfortunately I’m selling the Armada because of that noise - it’s like nails on chalkboard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2017 Armada. When I test drove it I was hearing a boom sound when driving at low speeds and didn't think it was going to be to the point where I can't tolerate it. I've been reading post here lately on this issue but haven't heard anything that can resolve this issue for the 2017 model. If I sit in the back seat you can't hear it only in the driver an passenger seat.Is there any advise or fixes that I can do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2019 Armada doesn't make any funny noises like that. Hummm? Maybe is the Bose sound system that keeps me from hearing it but so far so good. And yes QX 80 is a much smoother car hence the price difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts