Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2007 Armada LE 4x4 in 2006 for $37k and have loved it. I used the cargo room a lot when doing stuff around the house and loved the way it drove (powerful but nimble for its size).

My long term plan was to buy the redesigned model (the looks grew on me after a while) primarily to have the same size and power but in a more modern package and more civilized over bumps (roads are horrible in my area). My neighbor got a Dodge Ram pick up (low end model) and it makes my Armada feel as if the tires are made out of solid rubber.

That said, the $60k(!) price tag has me rethinking the future purchase of an Armada. The resale value is terrible and they got rid of some features I use frequently (like the rear glass opening or the passenger seat folding flat). Moreover, the electronics are antiquated and the body is based on the 10 (?) year old Patrol.

So I'm wondering if I should look at something more sporty with better mileage like an Audi SQ5 which has power (354 hp/369 tq/0-60 in 5.1 seconds) and luxury for the same price with substantially better gas mileage (I range from 8 to 12 mpg in the Armada, the Audi gets 19/24).

My thought is I could just keep my Armada (132k) should I need to haul anything because I doubt I'll get much for it on resale. I've got some issues with it (exhaust manifolds, and a noise over bumps no one can figure out) but nothing that is preventing me from driving.

So my question - in this price range ($60k) is the new Armada really worth it? Especially being that I have no kids and I've slowed down the amount of stuff I'm hauling and never tow.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
The only reason I got something this large is for my family and hauling crap around around. If it were just me or my wife and I I would likely keep my large SUV and buy something smaller and in the luxury side of things...or at least try to be luxury. And Audi would be great, and I love the Acura MDX. So I would go that route. On a side note. I consistently get a manually calculated 21 mpg highway and 17 mpg city, so don’t let the fuel usage scare you too much (when I really get into it it sure does drop though, so I’m sure it’s mostly how I drive it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
We just traded our ‘10 in on an ‘18

I was determined to get something different but the armada really seems to be the best deal.

I really wanted Tahoe or sequoia. Maybe next time.

And they are all 60+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I’ve had the same thoughts as both of you. First, something different. I don’t like any of the large SUVs with perhaps the Tahoe (too bland and I’ve not had luck with American manufacturers) or the Sequoia (really needs a redesign).

Also, I’m single now with no kids and it seems a little preposterous to be driving this big vehicle with just me. I used to do fairly frequent hauls loaded to the gills but that’s no longer the case. My gas mileage has always been abysmal - best tank I ever got was 14 MPG. I drive fast which doesn’t help.

That said, if I were to keep this one I still have that option. But I don’t like having another vehicle to maintain (though with less mileage it would be less frequent). I have an older M3 which I’m thinking of selling as the prices seem to be high for it.

The only downside would be the ride height of a crossover. I really like being above other vehicles but the SQ5 would be higher than a sports car.

Any other thoughts are appreciated

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Right after I bought my '18 Armada, a buddy of mine bought a '17 RAM 1500 Laramie CC EcoDiesel. After an extended out of town trip, can assure you that at least for the newer models, the Armada rides considerably smoother. Yeah, the RAM handles better due to firmer suspension. But for a cruiser, Armada easily wins. Same goes for most other full-size SUV's which have firmed up more than I'd like.

Also don't forget that current Armada's are easily selling for ~10k off MSRP. Once you take that into consideration, resale is actually pretty good. If I sold right now, I'd only lose maybe ~3k off purchase price. I'd lose a bit more due to TT&L, but then get some savings back on taxes with net trade/purchase value. In today's market, just about any Crossover, Truck, or SUV is going to sell fast and hold value reasonably well.

However, to your point. I feel ya. Only reason I know resale values is because I've been looking. ;) Wife decided to stick with Minivan life for practicality (2 kids) and I too am finding it hard to justify driving a 3-ton vehicle around town a few days a week. With it being my personal vehicle, and kids hanging out in the minivan, it's usually empty more often than not. With that said, the power, utility, comfort, and value is really hard to beat in the Armada. Anybody that needs/wants a vehicle in the class should keep it at the top of their shopping list.

It's certainly tricky finding a vehicle when you don't technically have a specific need. Such as a bed, towing, kids, etc. Even though I know plenty of folks who drive full-size SUV's with a single person in the vehicle 90% of the time. Hanging on to it for that 10% of the time when they might need the utility or road trip with friends/family. It's certainly handy to have that functionality whenever you need it.

For me, never been a fan of the crossover. At that point, I'd either rather step up to a "real" SUV or just get a more practical sedan or wagon. Personal preference, of course.

Either way, I know I'm still shopping. Looking at some mid-size luxury cars. May keep it, who knows. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I recently sold a 2015 Audi Q7 and bought a 2018 Armada SL with Premium. While I loved the Audi, I prefer the Armada. I don't haul alot of people around, but need the cargo space. The Audi was great for high-performance driving, but the Armada meets more of my needs. Drives though any depth of snow, great cargo, nice interior, and comfortable ride.

I was hesitant to go with the Armada, but I love it more than I expected to ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts