Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought the Armada in Nov 2003, I was plagued by a rattle/squeak from the overhead console - coming from between the vents and the stereo controls above the second row. Over the course of six months we found out that the noise was most prevalent at temps below 50 degrees.

Took it in three times to have it adjusted and the final time (April 04) they packed it with sound deadening, etc and the problem went away. Well it seems that with the return of cold weather (this morning was the first with temps below 50), the noise is back. Agh!

Gotta take the truck in for the 'booming noise' headliner fix, so I'll put this on the dealers plate at the same time.

Any good suggestions out there on other solutions?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Hmmm...what is the booming noise?? DOn't think I've heard that. I'm taking mine in next week for it's first round of service -- first oil change -- and am going to have them look at the rattle coming from the sunroof area -- maybe a rattle from the front passenger seat, and look at the sunroof which I feel compresses over bumps at highway speeds. I can feel the compression on my head and hair from the sunroof moving up and down. Hopefully the dealer will be responsive.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Booming noise is the pressure flutter that is apparently caused by a lack of adhesive between the roof supports and the roof.

I also had a lot of creaking/groaning from the passenger seat. They had to order some new parts (the hinges on either side) to get rid of it. Tightening bolts did nothing.

Service has been good each time I've gone in. So good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Armadaof1 said:
Booming noise is the pressure flutter that is apparently caused by a lack of adhesive between the roof supports and the roof.

I also had a lot of creaking/groaning from the passenger seat. They had to order some new parts (the hinges on either side) to get rid of it. Tightening bolts did nothing.

Service has been good each time I've gone in. So good luck to you.

Thanks...I'll keep you posted on what happens. Hopefully this dealer will be good to me as well.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
EightmanVT said:
Thanks...I'll keep you posted on what happens. Hopefully this dealer will be good to me as well.

Just out of curiosity -- did your dealer have a rental car for you?? I doubt mine does...and I'll probably have to rent a car for a couple of days while I leave the Armada there.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Well -- I have to give my dealer very very high marks for my first service experience with them...let's hope they're always this good. I brought the Armada in for it's first oil change and wanted them to track down some rattles and look at my cd player. They kept it for 2 days -- keeping me abreast each day of what they were doing -- (meanwhile I had the suburban rental they provided for me)...ordered a new cd player (slot 1 won't receive cds)...fixed the sunroof rattling issue -- and told me they couldn't find the seat rattle -- but were most definitely not running from it -- wanted to fix it...and would be happy to go out with me on a drive...so I could point it out to them. Since I'll be coming back for the cd player install -- we'll do that then. Total bill -- $0.00!! :) Outstanding thus far.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Booming noise fixed?

I read a TSR somewhere that the booming noise is caused by something loose in the headliner and that this is a known problem. Nissan has a fix for it. They basically just screw something down and booming goes away. Bottomline, Nissan knows about this and should be able to fix right away.

Now if al could just figure out where the window/controls rattles and squeaks are coming from, that would be great.

Armadaof1 said:
When I first bought the Armada in Nov 2003, I was plagued by a rattle/squeak from the overhead console - coming from between the vents and the stereo controls above the second row. Over the course of six months we found out that the noise was most prevalent at temps below 50 degrees.

Took it in three times to have it adjusted and the final time (April 04) they packed it with sound deadening, etc and the problem went away. Well it seems that with the return of cold weather (this morning was the first with temps below 50), the noise is back. Agh!

Gotta take the truck in for the 'booming noise' headliner fix, so I'll put this on the dealers plate at the same time.

Any good suggestions out there on other solutions?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Late update to the last service. No resolution on the rattle. Truck does just fine once it warms up so it is hard to replicate for the dealer. Not a great dealer experience this time around. I moved and the 'local' dealer is a conglomerate carmart. The Nissan part of this is under construction, so Nissan service is a closet in the Mitsubishi dealership. Not great.

Alternate solution found: since my wife is driving the kids to school in the truck, we park it in the garage at night (Yes it fits). The extra warmth has kept the squeak/rattle quiet.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Door rattles

Hey y'all,

If you're experiencing a rattle or noise from your doors but can't trace it (may sound like the window rattling) here's a fix I just discovered:

A bit of background: The other day I was watching the show with Boyd Coddington, and those guys were hanging doors on a rod. I watched them apply pressure to where the top of the door frame met the body to "flex" it to fit better. I got to wondering why this wouldn't work for my Armada, as I had been battling noise from all 4 doors whenever I hit bad road or turned onto an inclined (where body flex would happen the most). I had gone so far to dynamat the **** out of all my panels as well as go over the inside of each door and resecure everything. I never could get rid of the noises. I had also read about a guy on the net with the same issues who had his weatherstripping replaced and that fixed his "window rattle".

Turns out (at least for me) it wasn't window rattles. I rolled my windows down, and gently braced the door at about where the latch is with one hand and applied a decent amount of pressure to the top of the door frame to pull it back from the body a very small bit. Test drove, and I eliminated my door noises!

This makes sense as I bought mine in Feb. of 2004, so it was a really early build. I guess the workers just didn't quite have the doors hung right- they were actually too tight against the body and despite the weatherstripping would rattle.

Now I've got some gate issues...I'm thinking of having the dealer re-hang the rear gate. It doesn't latch right without having to slam it too.

Hope this can help someone...good luck!

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Can you describe the noise you were getting?

I've still not had a chance to investigate the body flex attributed by the cab bolts issue that I discussed on here and on TitanTalk.

I have a popping noise from the drivers side window and a creaking noise from at least the front 2 doors when the car flexs in anyway.. Driving down the road going over a bump, pulling into a driveway, making a turn as well as changing lanes... It is pretty annoying. I've yet to figure out what the noise is and where it is coming from. I "THINK" I still hear it when the windows are rolled down as well but I can't be sure.

This is the #1 most annoying noise, I don't care about any others to be honest.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Popping noise

I know the popping noise well. I've spent 3 months trying to get rid of it.
I've Dynamatted the Sheet out of my door as well, retightened all screws, and trimmed away all extra plastic. Did not help at all.
The popping noise seems to be coming from near the window/door lock controls.
Mine seems to be when the window is closed all the way tight. If I tap real quick on the window switch, the noise goes away.

At this point, I'm trying to figure out how the power window brackets are bolted in and when the window is closed tight, where are the pressure points. Something is putting stress on something near the controls causing the popping noise.

If anyone does make progress, let us know.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Andy,

That is the exact spot of my popping noise.. Definitely post up if/when you find something out..

But in all honesty... My damn creaking/flexing noise is by far the worst thing I have to hear since it does it ALL the time.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Take a look...

Guys,

Take a look at your windows as they meet the very top of your door channel. Mine were flexing the door frame as they slid up the last 1" - 1.5" After I flexed the top of my door frame out a bit (away from the body) the window didn't flex the frame and my noises disappeared. I opened my door and looked at the top of the frame from the back of the door, looking down the top of the frame.

The noise sounds like a window issue (clacking) but for me it was the door frame hitting the body because it was too tight. It's way better now...

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Hmm..

If you describe it as a clacking then it definitely isn't the same problem I have.

It might have a little to do with the popping noise though but that is the least of my concerns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
5 Participants
BlackSnake2001
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing