Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a great road trip towing our travel trailer. Was really nice to be out of the house and back on the road, if only for a little while. The purpose of the trip was to return our younger son to college in Colorado Springs, and we figured this was better than putting him on a virus-infected airplane. We left on June 25, travelled from the Los Angeles area up I-15, over the Cajon Pass to Barstow, then along I-40 to Flagstaff. We stayed two nights outside of Flagstaff, and took a day trip (without the trailer) to Grand Canyon. Not much open, but not many people either. Then continued along I-40 to Albuquerque, then up I-25 to Colorado Springs, with an overnight stop in Las Vegas NM (no, not as glitzy as the other Las Vegas!). We stayed two nights in Colo Spgs, and said good bye to our son for him to start his second year at the US Air Force Academy. Then we left the interstates and traveled over the Rockies along Hwy 24, through Leadville, finally coming out on I-70 about 75 miles east of Glenwood Springs. This involved a lot of mountain driving, including some sharp curves, steep grades, and high altitudes (well over 10K feet). Turned west on I-70 to Glenwood Springs, then drove up to camp at a Forest Service campground just outside the little town of Redstone. No cell service, so no work calls, no checking emails, no checking forums. Was wonderful!! Did some mild four-wheeling (OK, drove on some gravel forest service roads!!), and went up to the area where they mined some of the highest quality marble in the US. If you've ever visited the Lincoln Memorial in Wash DC, all of the marble came from this quarry. Left there on Friday, and drove back out to I-70, then headed west. Stopped for the night in Cedar City UT, then got home on Saturday afternoon.

All told, went through 6 states (CA, AZ, NM, CO, UT, AZ again, NV, then back to CA), drove 2757 miles total. All but about 200 of that had the trailer attached. Averaged 10.5 mpg according to the trip computer. Total time behind the wheel was a bit under 60 hours. As expected, the Armada performed flawlessly. Typically drove about 65 mph, except in CA, where I had to drop it back to 60 mph so as to not be a target of the rozzers.

On this trip, my wife and I came to the conclusion that, since it's just the two of us now, we may sell our trailer and upgrade to something nicer for trips like this. We're thinking that, since both of our boys are in the Air Force now, we will be doing some cross-country travelling to go see them (our older son is currently in Alabama, finishing up helicopter flight training at Fort Rucker), and a MH would be a lot nicer for those trips. Still weighing our options and our finances, and trying to figure out what we want and whether we can afford it. But, stay tuned, our trailer (and likely the Armada) may be going up for sale in the near future.

Sorry for the long post, but given the current situation our country is in right now, wanted to share.

Keith

Reactions: Tanks and OBXPatrol

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Nice write up. I enjoyed it. Would have been awesome if I could have met you by some rare chance in Flagstaff or even in Colorado Springs.

Good story about your boys also. And nice to know you guys may want to be traveling often. That is nice. I enjoy traveling a lot myself. There is so much out there in the world to travel and see. If I could find a job where I could be on the road, I would really enjoy it. Since I am not lucky to have such a job, I am happy with the few times I can take off work to travel.

Well, I am guessing this your post is not complete because it is missing something or some things. You have told, us the awesome story. Where are the awesome pictures to share alongside this story? Please, don't tell me you forgot to take some. I would love to see pictures of that quarry with quality marbles. Pics of this Armada up those 10,000 pass and some sharp curves. And any other nice pics you wish to share. Well, if you do not have any to share, it is ok. I understand.

I am leaving on my own trip in 2 days. I will share pics if you wish to see some.

Road Trip, July 2020

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's quite a trip. You're really trying to fit everything in. When we take a trip, we usually focus on just a few areas, and really explore those well, rather than try to do everything. I do have a bunch of pictures on my phone, and plan to upload a few here in a bit. But other than Redstone / Marble, all of these were places that we'd already visited a bunch of times before, particularly Grand Canyon and the entire Colo Spgs area. In fact, for a while, we were considering re-locating to Colorado, specifically the town of Woodland Park, about 25 minutes west of Colorado Springs, behind Pikes Peak. But likely will just end up staying here in So Cal.....

Enjoy your trip and be safe. And, wear a mask wherever you go. You'll find some areas are very strict at enforcement, and others don't seem to enforce it at all. So be very careful.

Keith

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Nice. So pics are coming soon. Looking forward to them.

Thanks for the tips about being safe out there. The world has really changed now.

My trip is always truly packed. The best part of my road trip is actually me behind the wheel and being on desolate stretch of roads and just cruising. Then making a stop or 2 in areas where there is nothing in sight. I stop in places where if you pass and see me, your first guess is I probably have car trouble because nobody ever stops on such places on the road. I get out and turn the car off. I listen. You just hear the wind and occasionally one or 2 cars will pass by. The ruffle of the grass. I mean, the sound is something that you do not hear often. I really like that. Then I look around and look at cars pass by. Spend about 15 minutes or more. Then I jump into my car and hit the road again.

On my road trips, I truly have a long list of things I want to see and do. I normally don't have to do it all, but I like to know suggestions in case I forget what I wanted to do in that town. I cramp my vacation schedule because based on the nature of my job, I cannot get such long vacation times very often. So each time I get my vacation approved I feel like it is a chance to go see many places I have always wanted to visit. So, because of limited vacation time, I decide to cram things because the next vacation is never guaranteed. Do as much as you can on this one because you may never have another one. That is what I tell myself. So, I might as well enjoy as many things as I can on the short vacation. Then someday if I retire or have a lot more time, I will spend more time at a particular place.

If I had a way to be off at my job for 1 month or 2 months, my dream is to drive to Alaska and drive the Dalton Highway. Or any other beautiful highways there.

Oh, I just now realized you were talking about Redstone and Marble. I have been there. I was there on my road trip last year. Amazing place. I need to find some pics and post. Yeah, the marble there is really exquisite.

Looking forward to seeing pics.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I did a 950 mile trip last month and never left the State of North Carolina. I also didn't tow anything but the Armada performed great the whole time and she's getting a complete fluid change in the coming weeks as a reward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just returned from a great road trip towing our travel trailer. Was really nice to be out of the house and back on the road, if only for a little while. The purpose of the trip was to return our younger son to college in Colorado Springs, and we figured this was better than putting him on a virus-infected airplane. We left on June 25, travelled from the Los Angeles area up I-15, over the Cajon Pass to Barstow, then along I-40 to Flagstaff. We stayed two nights outside of Flagstaff, and took a day trip (without the trailer) to Grand Canyon. Not much open, but not many people either. Then continued along I-40 to Albuquerque, then up I-25 to Colorado Springs, with an overnight stop in Las Vegas NM (no, not as glitzy as the other Las Vegas!). We stayed two nights in Colo Spgs, and said good bye to our son for him to start his second year at the US Air Force Academy. Then we left the interstates and traveled over the Rockies along Hwy 24, through Leadville, finally coming out on I-70 about 75 miles east of Glenwood Springs. This involved a lot of mountain driving, including some sharp curves, steep grades, and high altitudes (well over 10K feet). Turned west on I-70 to Glenwood Springs, then drove up to camp at a Forest Service campground just outside the little town of Redstone. No cell service, so no work calls, no checking emails, no checking forums. Was wonderful!! Did some mild four-wheeling (OK, drove on some gravel forest service roads!!), and went up to the area where they mined some of the highest quality marble in the US. If you've ever visited the Lincoln Memorial in Wash DC, all of the marble came from this quarry. Left there on Friday, and drove back out to I-70, then headed west. Stopped for the night in Cedar City UT, then got home on Saturday afternoon.

All told, went through 6 states (CA, AZ, NM, CO, UT, AZ again, NV, then back to CA), drove 2757 miles total. All but about 200 of that had the trailer attached. Averaged 10.5 mpg according to the trip computer. Total time behind the wheel was a bit under 60 hours. As expected, the Armada performed flawlessly. Typically drove about 65 mph, except in CA, where I had to drop it back to 60 mph so as to not be a target of the rozzers.

On this trip, my wife and I came to the conclusion that, since it's just the two of us now, we may sell our trailer and upgrade to something nicer for trips like this. We're thinking that, since both of our boys are in the Air Force now, we will be doing some cross-country travelling to go see them (our older son is currently in Alabama, finishing up helicopter flight training at Fort Rucker), and a MH would be a lot nicer for those trips. Still weighing our options and our finances, and trying to figure out what we want and whether we can afford it. But, stay tuned, our trailer (and likely the Armada) may be going up for sale in the near future.

Sorry for the long post, but given the current situation our country is in right now, wanted to share.

Keith

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the story Keith. I enjoyed it much, and congrats to your sons serving us through the Air Force. I have 3 nephews attending Annapolis, so I can appreciate what that means. My wife and I just returned this evening from our first voyage with our 2017 SL, towing our 24' Nash trailer that weighs around 5500 loaded with all of our stuff. We left Seattle and drove over the pass on I-90 to Prosser Washington for a night at Wine Country RV, then down to the Columbia River gorge, camping at Memaloose State Park right on a bluff above the river in Mosier, Oregon. The Armada performed flawlessly, and i was getting 10.3 on straight level driving at 60mph. Once on I-84 heading east right into 30+mph headwind, we were still getting 8.5. This was our first trip with the car since we got it on the first of June, and I was very much looking forward to how it would perform towing. We just clicked 24K on the way home. I am so glad we ended up with an Armada instead of a Grand Cherokee or Expedition. Many happy trips to you and your family. Tommie

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the story Keith. I enjoyed it much, and congrats to your sons serving us through the Air Force. I have 3 nephews attending Annapolis, so I can appreciate what that means. My wife and I just returned this evening from our first voyage with our 2017 SL, towing our 24' Nash trailer that weighs around 5500 loaded with all of our stuff. We left Seattle and drove over the pass on I-90 to Prosser Washington for a night at Wine Country RV, then down to the Columbia River gorge, camping at Memaloose State Park right on a bluff above the river in Mosier, Oregon. The Armada performed flawlessly, and i was getting 10.3 on straight level driving at 60mph. Once on I-84 heading east right into 30+mph headwind, we were still getting 8.5. This was our first trip with the car since we got it on the first of June, and I was very much looking forward to how it would perform towing. We just clicked 24K on the way home. I am so glad we ended up with an Armada instead of a Grand Cherokee or Expedition. Many happy trips to you and your family. Tommie
That sounds like an awesome trip as well!! We've visited the Columbia River Gorge in the past, but never with the trailer, only doing hotel / AirBnB stays. Love that area.

Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts