Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LADIES AND GENTS:

Any recommendations on aerodynamic cargo roof carriers or even the caged like cargo carriers? In addition, any info or recommendations on tow hitch cargo carriers like what is sold at Walmart? Thanks for any input!

"YEAH, IT WILL BEAT A HEMI AT LEAST ONCE WEEK!" LOL

· Premium Member
98 Posts
I have a Yakima Rocketbox that I have used with the Armada 2 or 3 times. I think Yakima has a good quaility product. Since it is an older carrier, I had to drill new holes in the carrier since the cross bars on the Armada are so far apart. It was very simple to do.

Also I just purchased a hitch cargo carrier from Valley. I have not used it as yet, but I think it will do the job. It is the fold up type that has a six inch basket. Not all carriers have these options, I had to shop around. I'm going to install tail lights on it in the next few weekends, I think it sticks out too much not to do this.

Ken

· Premium Member
98 Posts
STOCKMADA92101 said:
KEN,

Where did you get the Valley carrier and how much was it? Thanks!

From cabelas.com:

52-1480 Valley Heavy-Duty Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier FOLDING SHANK BASKET @ $139.99 each

$18 shipping.

Ken

· Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I got a 500lb carrying capacity hitch mount at Northerntools for like $75 I think. I also picked up a roof top basket at http://www.prolineracks.com/car-rack-special.html for $225 with the extension. I bought the fairing as well but it's not really worth the $30 imo.

· Premium Member
359 Posts
STOCKMADA92101 said:
LADIES AND GENTS:

Any recommendations on aerodynamic cargo roof carriers or even the caged like cargo carriers? In addition, any info or recommendations on tow hitch cargo carriers like what is sold at Walmart? Thanks for any input!

"YEAH, IT WILL BEAT A HEMI AT LEAST ONCE WEEK!" LOL
I have a Thule 1800, great for skiing etc. Can lock it up and keep road grime off my stuff. Had to modify the distance of the mounts by removing the mounting hardware, cutting the slots longer and remounting farther apart. Goes on and off in about 3 minutes. You could get a bigger box than this (wider) and it still wouldn't look too big. It was 20% off at REI last year when I bought it.
PS Wind tested with load to 90+mph :D

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,431 Posts
STOCKMADA92101 said:
Thanks for the information. I checked out the website , it looks good. Is the roof rack an easy install or does it require modifications?
Yea its not hard to install. It uses U-bolts and plastic wedges to hold it to the roof rack. No modifications at all.

· Premium Member
87 Posts
We have been using a bag - HEAVY rubberized canvas - from Cabela's for about 8 years now. That thing has been attached to a Camry, Previa and now the Armada with nary a worry. Good for heavy rain, too. Only disadvantage is that it isn't 100% secure - no way to easily lock the zippers and of course it could be cut... but it's never happened to us and we've been all over the West (from Washington to Yellowstone) with it. Ours is older than this one (IG-513355).

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.