Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install a Tuff Stuff Roof Top Tent (RTT) on my 2008 QX56 factory roof rack cross bars but I am concerned about the weight. The RTT weighs 150 lbs. empty (travel weight) but when camped, add 350 to 400 lbs. for 2 adults. That would mean the total would be around 500-550 lbs. resting on the crossbars & the roof rack. If I get after-market crossbars like Thule or Yakima, I still have concerns about the weight resting on the factory roof rack.

I've seen these RTTs on top of light duty racks like Toyotas & Hondas, so it seems like it should work. The QX56 / Armada roof rack looks pretty strong (?).

Anyone out there have experience with this or similar weight issues on the rack? Any suggestions?

I've included a photo of the type of Roof Top Tent I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
No experience with one but I think it would be fine. The 150 max is rated for a moving vehicle. The platform under the tent will be well supported.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am planning to install a Tuff Stuff Roof Top Tent (RTT) on my 2008 QX56 factory roof rack cross bars but I am concerned about the weight. The RTT weighs 150 lbs. empty (travel weight) but when camped, add 350 to 400 lbs. for 2 adults. That would mean the total would be around 500-550 lbs. resting on the crossbars & the roof rack. If I get after-market crossbars like Thule or Yakima, I still have concerns about the weight resting on the factory roof rack.

I've seen these RTTs on top of light duty racks like Toyotas & Hondas, so it seems like it should work. The QX56 / Armada roof rack looks pretty strong (?).

Anyone out there have experience with this or similar weight issues on the rack? Any suggestions?

I've included a photo of the type of Roof Top Tent I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance.
Hi..did you manage to fix your RTT in the Armada rack?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi..I am trying to determine if it's necessary to purchase a steel roof rack for my 09 Armada or if I can just fix on some load bars on the factory rails in order to put up my RTT.( the steel racks over here are extremely expensive). ANYONE WITH ANY RECOMMENDATION IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts