Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. the urban assault vehicle is gone. It was good while it lasted however gas is just getting out of control. I traded in on a 2006 Altima 2.5S. While the UAV was a mechanically sound ride I certainly won't miss the squeaks and rattles. It was a great vehicle the little things aside. I was surprised to find the Altima has a 20 gallon tank on it. Driving range should be excellent. Good luck to all and thanks for the help along the way.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
cfranzen said:
Well. the urban assault vehicle is gone. It was good while it lasted however gas is just getting out of control. I traded in on a 2006 Altima 2.5S. While the UAV was a mechanically sound ride I certainly won't miss the squeaks and rattles. It was a great vehicle the little things aside. I was surprised to find the Altima has a 20 gallon tank on it. Driving range should be excellent. Good luck to all and thanks for the help along the way.
I was thinking about trading the Armada for the 2006 Altima 2.5S, too, special edition. My wife wouldn't let me. She nearly cried when I presented this to her. May be one more year or depending on how reliable the Armada is during the waranty period. Good luck with the Altima.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EagerCrow said:
How can you go from the Armada to Altima?
:confused:
talk about apples and oranges.
Your right it is a drastic change. However we need a bigger house more than we do the bus. We have two kids and won't be expanding the family any further. Just getting priorities in order to get the house we want. $65 fill ups are getting out of hand I may as well be pissing money away. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it but things have changed.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
cfranzen said:
I don't know your needs or your other vehicles, but I can't see how any matured adult can only have a car. Even the most simple things in life demand an SUV for Cargo carrying capabilities. The alternative is to rent a truck when needed or borrow someone elses (who had the sense to have that vehicle.:) ). Been there, done that, and won't go back. Most people I know who have a car, also have either a truck or an SUV for their hauling needs.

Example, buying a TV, buying smaller furniture, buying file cabinets, buying home remodeling supplies, buying yard supplies, buying a ladder, outdoor activities as camping, towing a boat, a camper (very, very small one if car based), and the list goes on. Yes, a minivan will do a lot of this but then you have to take the seats out and that's a pain.

Then again, if you like outdoor activities or live in an area that snows, you'll benifit from 4WD. No, not the sissy AWD that still allows you to get stuck in snow and mud while being an over glorified traction control for slick wet roads. For this, you'll need a truck based SUV or go with the Sissy system AWD found on car based SUVs. Cars and minivans today just don't offer anything other than front wheel drive and those may not even have limited slip.

As I said, I can't see how anyone could own a car in today's world unless you really don't do much and feel comfortable relying on others or renting.

I went down from my Crew Cab XE 4X4 Off Road Titan which got 13.2 mpg on my treck to work to a SE 4X4 Pathfinder that gets 17.5 on the same treck. I drive about 1700 miles a month and that equate to about an $80/month saving.

Just wanted to save you before you bought that car.:) :)

BTW, my mom just bought a 2005 Sentra and loves it.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Ditto mikeup, if you want something that gets good gas mileage buy a commuter car. I have the Qx56 for hauling people/stuff/ and going to Tahoe for snowboarding. I have my M for leisure going to the store friends house etc. I have a little 05' civic that i use to go into San Fran (thats like 130 miles for me roundtrip) and other task that takes me to places far away. The civic gets 30mpg even if you have a heavy foot like me and keep that sucker in the high rpm's. Getting our son's mountain bike into the Qx is a breeze put the liner down and throw it in the back that same bike wont even fit in the civic with rear seats folded down.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
13,189 Posts
cfranzen,

I really respect your chioce in making the priority choices that hopefully are best for you and your family.

I do agree with the other guys though about needing a vehicle capable of meeting the constant needs of a homeowner. You will get tired of having things delivered, renting or borrowing a bigger vehicle when you have to get stuff.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mature Adult?

Mike Up said:
I don't know your needs or your other vehicles, but I can't see how any matured adult can only have a car. Even the most simple things in life demand an SUV for Cargo carrying capabilities. The alternative is to rent a truck when needed or borrow someone elses (who had the sense to have that vehicle.:) ). Been there, done that, and won't go back. Most people I know who have a car, also have either a truck or an SUV for their hauling needs.

Example, buying a TV, buying smaller furniture, buying file cabinets, buying home remodeling supplies, buying yard supplies, buying a ladder, outdoor activities as camping, towing a boat, a camper (very, very small one if car based), and the list goes on. Yes, a minivan will do a lot of this but then you have to take the seats out and that's a pain.

Then again, if you like outdoor activities or live in an area that snows, you'll benifit from 4WD. No, not the sissy AWD that still allows you to get stuck in snow and mud while being an over glorified traction control for slick wet roads. For this, you'll need a truck based SUV or go with the Sissy system AWD found on car based SUVs. Cars and minivans today just don't offer anything other than front wheel drive and those may not even have limited slip.

As I said, I can't see how anyone could own a car in today's world unless you really don't do much and feel comfortable relying on others or renting.

I went down from my Crew Cab XE 4X4 Off Road Titan which got 13.2 mpg on my treck to work to a SE 4X4 Pathfinder that gets 17.5 on the same treck. I drive about 1700 miles a month and that equate to about an $80/month saving.

Just wanted to save you before you bought that car.:) :)

BTW, my mom just bought a 2005 Sentra and loves it.

Have a good one.
First off, you are right you don't know my needs. I don't quite understand your take on why a mature adult can't simply drive cars. I don't follow the connection. Before the suv craze millions of people did and still do get buy using cars. They do have trunks you know. No you can't fit a big screen tv or some other large items which can be an inconvenience at times. But really how often do you have to. As a mature adult and home owner I am pretty settled in with new appliances and many of the necessities such as ladders lawn mowers etc. Believe it or not you can still fit home remodeling items in a trunk. In fact I will be buying some tile, mortar, grout and some new trim this weekend and I bet it will fit nicely in the trunk with plenty of room to spare. I have two young kids 3 and 1 so I don't yet own a boat that I need to pull. Having the mada while I did was nice but we just don't need this much of a vehicle right now. We see snow 3-5 times a year hear in Kc so the snow isn't really that much of a factor. How has todays world changed to the point that it only makes sense to own a gas hogging suv. I just don't follow your train of thought. In my opinion the biggest change in the world is the number of crazy bastards running around seems to keep increasing at a rapid rate. I could rent a pickup a couple time a year if I needed and still be coming out ahead on cost difference between the beast and the Altima. Thanks for your concern but the Altima is already in my garage. Likely in the next year I will also be adding a midsize truck to the family after we get our bigger house. Don't get me wrong, I am a truck guy. But this is the right choice for my family right now.:moon:

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I too want an altima, and I plan to keep it in the back of the 'Mada for little juants to the liquor store...:) and here in Canada, $95.00 fillc ups are the norm, but yesterday I pulled in, put 94$ of 87 octane in the "mada, and then kept pumping another 175$ into the boat...:)GRIN...who has MORE fun than PEOPLE! And we meet the nicest people in ARMADA'S!

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
good choice on the Altima.. my wifes altima is 96 and has 150k + miles and its still going strong.. when i trade this one in it'll be another altima.. too bad you have to let go of your beast and nothing is wrong with that.. good luck..

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
cfranzen said:
First off, you are right you don't know my needs. I don't quite understand your take on why a mature adult can't simply drive cars. I don't follow the connection. Before the suv craze millions of people did and still do get buy using cars. They do have trunks you know. No you can't fit a big screen tv or some other large items which can be an inconvenience at times. But really how often do you have to. As a mature adult and home owner I am pretty settled in with new appliances and many of the necessities such as ladders lawn mowers etc. Believe it or not you can still fit home remodeling items in a trunk. In fact I will be buying some tile, mortar, grout and some new trim this weekend and I bet it will fit nicely in the trunk with plenty of room to spare. I have two young kids 3 and 1 so I don't yet own a boat that I need to pull. Having the mada while I did was nice but we just don't need this much of a vehicle right now. We see snow 3-5 times a year hear in Kc so the snow isn't really that much of a factor. How has todays world changed to the point that it only makes sense to own a gas hogging suv. I just don't follow your train of thought. In my opinion the biggest change in the world is the number of crazy bastards running around seems to keep increasing at a rapid rate. I could rent a pickup a couple time a year if I needed and still be coming out ahead on cost difference between the beast and the Altima. Thanks for your concern but the Altima is already in my garage. Likely in the next year I will also be adding a midsize truck to the family after we get our bigger house. Don't get me wrong, I am a truck guy. But this is the right choice for my family right now.
I guess it's where you live, your lifestyle, and your activities. I know of no one who can get furniture in their trunk. Nor do I know anyone who can use a car trunk for yard materials and remodeling needs. The few I know who own Altimas (Friend has 2 2005s ;) ) or other small cars, are asking for my assistance since their car doesn't handle the needs.

I have one friend who lives in a duplex, condo like dwelling. He needs nothing but a car, but then again, he doesn't have much to warrant the need of vehicle that has cargo room. Everything is done for him, and he's more of an indoor person than an outdoor person.

When I lived in apartments when younger, a car would do because I didn't have any responsibilities as being a home owner and didn't really have any activities that demanded a robust vehicle. As my finacial status bettered, my activities changed. Right before I moved out of the apartment, I did by a SUV because I was sick of relying on others to help me get the bigger things for my apartment that my cars wouldn't accomidate. I got sick of paying for deliveries and sick of appointments that weren't kept by delivery people. I also don't like being dependant on others and 4WD helped greatly in the snow and helped further my activities by allowing me to go in areas that my car would simply not go.

So each to their own. Downsizing doesn't mean you can't get cargo carrying abilities as there's SUV in everysize and type. I see now that your needs don't follow those I'm familar with so I'm glad your happy with your car.:bonvoyage :moon: :moon:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.