Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We are really interested in the Armada and the Volvo Xc90. We want the safest car for our kids. We cannot find any crash tests on the Armada. Did anyone find any info? We can find everything on the Volvo but nothing on the Armada and it makes me wonder.....any info?????

Thank you!!

:confused:

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
www.nhtsa.dot.gov has 2005 Titan frontal crash ratings of 5 stars for driver and 4 stars for passenger. No side impact data.

www.iihs.org has a Good Best Pick for frontal offset.

No data on Armada specifically.

I've got three kids under 6. Our other car is a V70. Safety-wise, we chose the Armada because of size, the height of the kids in comparison to other vehicles, three point harnesses everywhere, and side curtain airbags that extend to the third row. That being said, you can hardly ever argue against a Volvo.

My one concern is the third row in the XC90. Much like the pop up third row in my Volvo wagon, the back of the seat is very close to the rear hatch. I asked the Volvo dealer about third row seat safety from rear impact and he said the third row is the most vulnerable (no crumple zone). I like the Armada - a couple feet of space between the tailgate and the third row, plus it sits up high and behind a big bumper. Other than being hit by another SUV, everyone else is going underneath my kids.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I've heard the mileage in the Volvo is very poor, (on par with an Armada?) in that case I would definitely be going with the Armada over the Ford, er Volvo, because of all the other great features, space and capacity, and as you note 5 star crash rating.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Great ratings, solid steel frame, side impact air bags. If a volvo and armada hit each other, which would you rather be in? Volvo used to have the safety category covered, just as toyota used to be Mr. reliable and Honda Mr. resale. The lines have blurred now between those categories and the top manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Armadaof1 said:
www.nhtsa.dot.gov has 2005 Titan frontal crash ratings of 5 stars for driver and 4 stars for passenger. No side impact data.

www.iihs.org has a Good Best Pick for frontal offset.

No data on Armada specifically.

I've got three kids under 6. Our other car is a V70. Safety-wise, we chose the Armada because of size, the height of the kids in comparison to other vehicles, three point harnesses everywhere, and side curtain airbags that extend to the third row. That being said, you can hardly ever argue against a Volvo.

My one concern is the third row in the XC90. Much like the pop up third row in my Volvo wagon, the back of the seat is very close to the rear hatch. I asked the Volvo dealer about third row seat safety from rear impact and he said the third row is the most vulnerable (no crumple zone). I like the Armada - a couple feet of space between the tailgate and the third row, plus it sits up high and behind a big bumper. Other than being hit by another SUV, everyone else is going underneath my kids.
Thanks for all your input- is anyone afraid of the rolloever issue in this car???

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
2sacharm said:
Thanks for all your input- is anyone afraid of the rolloever issue in this car???
No more than in any other SUV. Mine handles like its on rails comparitively. I would get better tires than the contis. It improved my handling dramtically. But I haven't had any issues with for example sudden lane change situations, high speed off ramps, etc. that I do frequently. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
Another point about rollover - While no one wants to be in a rollover it is good to know that the Armada has rollover sensors and deploys the side curtain airbags when a rollover starts to happen.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
You also have the option of mowing what ever it is down instead of trying to swerve :eek:

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
LMAO Armoody - and in the "battle cruiser" (my husband's name for the Mada) you could mow down just about anything!!!

As for safety - that was one of the reasons I bought the Mada over the Sequoia - rollover sensors, side airbags and curtain airbags. I also found the Mada easier to get into and out of the 3rd row than the Sequoia incase anyone back there needed to get out quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts