Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is a ride/handling difference between the SE and the LE? I know the LE sets slightly lower than the SE, but the cars are identical based powertrains and wheelbased. The base SE doesn't have all the hupla of options though they are available. I can't imagine the hacked cow leather seats and all the kitchen power electrics can physically make the cars ride and handle any different if the same options were installed. Is there suspension differences between LE & SE? The SE OffRoad definitely has it's own characteristics with Rancho Shocks and 17 inch wheels. The Dealer tried to tell me repeatedly that there is a difference. All I can imagine is possibly difference between 4x2 vs 4x4 or load leveling for towing. I cannot decipher anything through in the specs. I bought the SE assuming it would be a little more aggressive and less plush. Like any big framed long wheelbased truck, both the LE and SE skate when hitting potholes. Anybody have comments?

· Premium Member
359 Posts
4x4 vs. 4x2, Offroad vs. SE or LE, big tow or not. Those will all affect handling to some degree. Also if you are driving in 4 high, 4 auto (LE only) or 2WD, all of these affect handling.
LE skates too on potholes and square edged bumps. Might partly be due to crappy contis also, but mostly just a huge amount of unsprung weight.

· Premium Member
34 Posts
"4 auto (LE only)" - I thought all 4x4 models had 4 auto? MY SE-OR has a dial for 4 Auto.

As far as handling, I couldn't really tell the difference between the SE-OR w/ BT and a LE 4x4. The SE-OR with the Ranchos (maybe it was my imagination) seemed it was a little stiffer than the LE and SE-OR/BT.

· Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Ride will vary slightly. They aren't made to be different but there are variations.
4x2 vs. 4x4.
Big tow has a little different rear suspension. They use airbags to level the ride.
The wheels and tires are different on the SE off-road.
And there is a weight difference of up to a couple hundred pounds. As for the springs, shocks, geometry being different, it isn't. They all use the same stuff.

So the answer is no, and you have a cheesy dealer. Suspenison, trans, motor, etc. are all the same.

Not sure why you are commenting on hacked cow or kitchen electronics. Personally, I wouldn't get anything but the hacked cow. The fake weaved plant seats suck. They stain very easily, clan up is difficult, and they wear out much faster.

As for the electrionics, I love those too. If you want to go for a basic package, I'd get the SE with big tow package at least. Its a good bang for the buck. I'd also seriously consider the leather upgrade. ;)

· Premium Member
359 Posts
Pwrl3ss said:
"4 auto (LE only)" - I thought all 4x4 models had 4 auto? MY SE-OR has a dial for 4 Auto.

As far as handling, I couldn't really tell the difference between the SE-OR w/ BT and a LE 4x4. The SE-OR with the Ranchos (maybe it was my imagination) seemed it was a little stiffer than the LE and SE-OR/BT.
What was I thinking? :confused: Must have been the footwell lights I was thinking of,or maybe its the Sequioa that only has that on the LTD?

· Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response. I had to hear it from the people who really drive and own these Armadas. I thought I may have missed something between the 3 models. Dealers always talk to sway you for the more expensive purchase. As for the hacked cow/kitchen electrics comment, it was a term I threw back at the Dealer as I sat in a $46,000 priced LE with everything which scared the hell out of me. I personally love my '05 SE as packaged. It has been modified somewhat to look like an LE which most people thought was an '07 version because it has fenders and 6 spoke chrome wheels plus the matching Armada chrome name written out on door panels with the V8. If tires will help the handling, Michelin upgrades most likely be my choice. Your replies are comforting. I use to have the SE-V6 truck and SUV in the early 90's. Handled and drove smooth as a car but had NO HP. (Jumped to Grand Cherokee Jeeps.) Glad to get out of them. These Armadas are almost what I have been waiting for..big, husky, powerfull and looking good too. Hopefully more refinements and upgrades will be added in the near future.

· Premium Member
4,360 Posts
ERBERTIS said:
Thanks for the response. I had to hear it from the people who really drive and own these Armadas. I thought I may have missed something between the 3 models. Dealers always talk to sway you for the more expensive purchase. As for the hacked cow/kitchen electrics comment, it was a term I threw back at the Dealer as I sat in a $46,000 priced LE with everything which scared the hell out of me. I personally love my '05 SE as packaged. It has been modified somewhat to look like an LE which most people thought was an '07 version because it has fenders and 6 spoke chrome wheels plus the matching Armada chrome name written out on door panels with the V8. If tires will help the handling, Michelin upgrades most likely be my choice. Your replies are comforting. I use to have the SE-V6 truck and SUV in the early 90's. Handled and drove smooth as a car but had NO HP. (Jumped to Grand Cherokee Jeeps.) Glad to get out of them. These Armadas are almost what I have been waiting for..big, husky, powerfull and looking good too. Hopefully more refinements and upgrades will be added in the near future.
Good deal. I switched from a ZJ myself. Michelin is a good tire. They have two that fit the stock size. Yokohama has a few slightly smaller in diameter, and BFG has a good A/T tire that fits. More are on the way as more Titans and Madas are made. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.