Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "Service Engine Soon" light came on steady. Not blinking.
I only have 4,778 miles on my '05 Armada. (I bought the Mada new last December on a closeout deal)
According to the manual, there is a malfunction caused by an emission problem. I tried the quick fix by checking the gas cap to make sure it is completely closed and tight. Either than that, the manual said to have NISSAN inspect the problem.
Does anybody else know what other problem might trigger this light to go on? Or does anybody gone through the process and have NISSAN check this out?
Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
From the owner's manual ... needed to look it up to remember if there was a difference between check engine, service, and MIL.

Most likely you have a bad O2 sensor. Seems to be the way of this type of "emission" problem.

Malfunction indicator lamp on steady — An
emission control system malfunction has
been detected. Check the fuel filler cap. If
the fuel filler cap is loose or missing, tighten
or install the cap and continue to drive the
vehicle. The lamp should turn off after
a few driving trips. If the lamp does
not turn off after a few driving trips, have the
vehicle inspected by a NISSAN dealer. You
do not need to have your vehicle towed to
the dealer.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is weird. I went to pick up some grocery this morning before getting the SES malfunction code and the light went off....??? WTF?
I mentioned what happened to my wife and she told me that it happened before sometime last week. She didn't bother telling me because the light went off. I tried doing the SES code afterward and it didn't work. Maybe I need to wait for the SES light to go on again (maybe sometime this week) so that I can finally figure out what the hell is going on. If this happened last week, then there is a chance that this will occur again. I'm going to closely monitor this. I'll let you guys know.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
My last car did this within a few weeks after every service. It was the dealer not resetting the computer so the car didn't know that it had had the service already, maybe something as simple as that.

Try resetting the ECU as detailed on this site, if you have a real problem it will show up again.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
It may not be getting the code two trips in a row. There is some sort of two trip setting that it will wait to put up the light until it reads the error twice in a row....

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Just to illuminate the obvious, it's entirely possible that someone left the gas cap untightened originally when the light came on, and then after it was tightened at the last fill-up, it went off.

Sometimes it takes quite a while for the system to reset itself.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
If it is an o2 sensor the code you pull will only tell you it's a sensor,not which one(theres 4),I had to go to the dealer and pay 98.00$ to get the diags done and it spit out the bad o2 sensor which I found online for 40.00$ cheaper and did it myself.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
The codes will tell you which sensor it is .
The attachments list all the codes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
453 Posts

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
scr38 said:
The codes will tell you which sensor it is .
The attachments list all the codes.
Kind of difficult to read...but you are the man. Thanks...in case mine ever goes off.:D

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Tmation said:
My last car did this within a few weeks after every service. It was the dealer not resetting the computer so the car didn't know that it had had the service already, maybe something as simple as that.

Try resetting the ECU as detailed on this site, if you have a real problem it will show up again.
Good point, disconnect your battery for about 5 minutes and reconnect...that should reset the ECU.:)

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
The 1273 code tells us that there is a problem with the A/F ratio sensor on engine bank 1. That is the front, or primary sensor on the left side of the engine. That sensor is in the left exhaust manifold.
When they replaced the manifold/converter assembly they had to remove this sensor and replace it into the new manifold. They could have damaged the sensor or contaminated it when they changed it out, or they may not have reconnected the wiring securely.
In any case, take it back to the dealer for the fix.
Disconnecting the battery won't completely reset the ECM. There is a procedure in our DIY section for resetting the ECM and turning off the engine light. But don't do this now, you want the light on when you take it to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.