Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had to take the Mada back in today. At start up yesterday and this morning she blew blue smoke!!! No strange sounds, no warning lights - just blue smoke and a funky smell.

Has anyone else experienced this? :confused:

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
greengoddess said:
Well, I had to take the Mada back in today. At start up yesterday and this morning she blew blue smoke!!! No strange sounds, no warning lights - just blue smoke and a funky smell.

Blue smoke means your burning oil, either issue with valves, rings, stuff like that.

Whitish smoke and cotton candy type smell is usually blown head gasket related...coolant burning.

Wow, this is the first Armada/ Titan I have heard about with an actual engine issue. That's pretty awesome....well I take it back, I feel horrible for you....but awesome as a whole when you think about how many units are out there. Atleast warrenty will cover everything! Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
Hopefully it will be something as simple as a bad PCV valve. That is a quick and simple fix.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
scr38 said:
Hopefully it will be something as simple as a bad PCV valve. That is a quick and simple fix.
Exactly. Let us know. Probably something simple. I havent' heard of any problems with motors yet at all. Good luck. :(

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
greengoddess said:

Yes indeed. I started up and my wife commented on the cloud. Of course this was much to my distress. Next time I fired up on a cold start, or warm start nothing doing.

I realized that I had turned the car on for literally seconds and shut it off earlier, or something like that (can't remember) might have only cranked the starter and then changed my mind. At any rate, I surmized that I somewhat loaded the cyclinders and left them with a fair amount of unburned fuel. So the next time I fired up an unusually large amount of smoke spewed forth and the cloud that my wife witnessed.
Are you starting the Mada and moving it a few feet and turning it back off or anything like that?
The cloud was a one time event for me, so good luck!

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As with ARMoody - it seems like it was just a freak thing that happened. It never blew blue smoke for the dealer and it hasn't done it since I got it back. I'll just have to wait and see....

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Check the oil level on the dipstick. It should *not* be above the full line. This is a case where more is not better.

dave and xtoy - and look for drops of water on the stick

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Blue smoke is burning oil, I haven't looked closely at the system on the Armada but often crankcase breathers vent into the airbox or intake system. Maybe some oil got in that way? I am supprised the dealer didn't do a compression check just incase.

Black smoke is over rich mixture and I wouldn't have thought you would have a problem with this on a fuel injected engine, unless there was a problem with the injection system or non working spark plug.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got to take the Mada back in because of a backup sensor issue and when I do I'll ask them about the compression check.

Luckily though I've had no more problems with blue smoke. Now to get the brakes fixed and the backup sensors working.........

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Me as well!

Goodness greengoddess, I just experienced something like this, just now on my 'Mada....BLUE SMOKE!

As Thunder Maker has a fried transmission, and I've not yet replaced it or done anything at all about it for that matter till now, I warm the motor every two days or so so I don't have a flat battery again. The flat battery i had in it before is what I blame for me not being more attentive to the gushing out tranny fluid that led to the gear box frying.

Any way, I left her idling for about 20 minutes then put her under some throttle and horrors upon hottors....I saw blue smoke.....:eek:

.....It sent me straight here to the forum, even though I'm still supposed to be at work!

I've turned the motor off and opened the hood to check the oil. I'll start her up again in about one hour to check.

Thunder maker has never before spewed out blue smoke, just water vapor when i start her up in the mournings.

Regards

Victor

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Holy thread revival! Now that's how you use search to find your problem before starting a new thread! Haha..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts