Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
Ill tell you guys i got my Bilstein from 4x4Parts for $70 each and they have them in stock.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
Still got 'em!
This post has pretty much bothered me from the day it was posted... Honestly, it wasn't long ago that I'd insist on buying everything locally so at least I could go drag someone out to the parking lot when they turned out to be a POS ripoff... You guys on here got me spoiled with people like Burtman, PRG, etc, so buying online hasn't been as intimidating... We were blessed with awesome sponsors... Now, we get one where it seems like we might be back to the same ol' online "buyer beware" BS... Not for me, no thanks, no way, no how... :cool:

Not to be a downer, but my Bilsteins have failed. .... <snip> .... They lasted all of four (4) months on the Armada.

I went on the recommendations I got here and bought and installed them. They were great when I first put them on, smooth as butter. I have driven with them here in the DC metro area and taken two trips to Brooklyn and now they need to be replaced.:thumbdown

Since they are really not made for the Armada, I am pretty much @$$ out on any price adjustment on them! .... <snip> ....

·
Supporting Vendor
70 Posts
This post has pretty much bothered me from the day it was posted... Honestly, it wasn't long ago that I'd insist on buying everything locally so at least I could go drag someone out to the parking lot when they turned out to be a POS ripoff... You guys on here got me spoiled with people like Burtman, PRG, etc, so buying online hasn't been as intimidating... We were blessed with awesome sponsors... Now, we get one where it seems like we might be back to the same ol' online "buyer beware" BS... Not for me, no thanks, no way, no how... :cool:
His shocks failed because they were installed wrong locally.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
How is a shock installed "wrong"?
That's what I'd like to know.... Especially to an extent of "causing damage".... I know that's what he posted but c'mon!!!! I've torn apart and put together my front suspension several times (4 times that I can think of right off hand), and it's practically impossible to get it "Wrong", it flat out WON'T FIT... I can see where assembling the coilover wrong might possibly cause an issue, but pushing it to a failure within 4-months??? Please!!!! Heck, there seems to be an awesome deal on some land down in the Florida Swamp areas too.. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Well if you leave one of the washers off of the top it can do some damage. It seems alot of shops are doing just that. I love my 5100s, but I checked the install after it was done.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That's what I'd like to know.... Especially to an extent of "causing damage".... I know that's what he posted but c'mon!!!! I've torn apart and put together my front suspension several times (4 times that I can think of right off hand), and it's practically impossible to get it "Wrong", it flat out WON'T FIT... I can see where assembling the coilover wrong might possibly cause an issue, but pushing it to a failure within 4-months??? Please!!!! Heck, there seems to be an awesome deal on some land down in the Florida Swamp areas too.. :rolleyes:
Spyda was the only one i've seen with issues regarding the 5100's or am i missing something.

I would have to agree with you..They can be installed 180 degrees out where the bottom spring seat faces the engine but I do not see how this can cause a problem...

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Spyda was the only one i've seen with issues regarding the 5100's or am i missing something.

I would have to agree with you..They can be installed 180 degrees out where the bottom spring seat faces the engine but I do not see how this can cause a problem...

Primo V8 posted this in another Bilstien thread. This may be the problem some folks are having.....

[/B]^^^ JDFSU, Thanks for the confirming that issue.
What happens is Bilsteins includes a large washer already on the HDs/5100s. Those that install them incorrectly will use that washer to either top of the bumpstops or leave it in the correct place but forget to use the top OEM washer to help lock down the bumpstops. Instead, all you'll see is the locknut on top of the bumpstops with no washer or no washer on the bottom of the bumpstops to prevent them from sliding into the body of the shocks.

Also, I tell everyone that has suspension work done to ALWAYS replace the OEM spring isolators and bumpstops. The reason is because they get worn out and take shape of the previous components they become in contact with. Eventually, the spring isolators will start to tear and the bumpstops begin to flatten in height which can cause the springs to make unwanted noises and cause premature wear to new shocks/struts.

FX-R Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit
Philips Ultinon D2S 6K bulbs
Philips Ballasts

·
Supporting Vendor
70 Posts
Somehow, it still leaves me an impression of a "hey you bought it, it's YOUR problem now" type attitude....
We extend the manufacturer's warranty. If you buy a TV from Best Buy and mount it on your wall and it comes crashing down, does Best Buy owe you a TV?

·
SHIFT_Moderator
13,204 Posts
I didn't have problems with the 5100s, I just sent them back and went with OEM. The HDs may have been installed incorrectly, but the installer won't own up to that.

I also will not give the HDs to anyone since they failed and may have been damaged while baninging around. I would not feel comfortable doing that!

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
We extend the manufacturer's warranty. If you buy a TV from Best Buy and mount it on your wall and it comes crashing down, does Best Buy owe you a TV?
We're not talking about TV's here are we??? I can tell you from my personal experience that PRG and any other of our long-term sponsors would've replaced those shocks for free and figured out a way to have them covered... PRG already knows these vehicles well enough to realize that there is No mechanical difference between the Titan and Armada front suspension, they weigh about the same, use the same exact parts, same coil springs, same OEM shocks.... They wouldn't have let the 1 failure out of a 1,000 sold bother them much.... I'm still curious how they could've possibly been installed wrong to damage that quickly???

Oh, and since you asked about a TV, Best Buy would definitely replace the TV for me because with the way I hang things on the wall, the only way it would come down is if the mounting points on the TV itself are too weak and fail... ;)

·
SHIFT_Moderator
13,204 Posts
Sorry again about that, and thanks for your patience. KennedyTX you should see your refund for the discount within the next few days too.
Follow up message. ShockWarehouse has credited my account! I really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Well i was wanting to replace mine to have a smoother ride and avoid bump steer.Now im confused on what way to go.What brand do i buy and what series?

·
SHIFT_Moderator
13,204 Posts
Well i was wanting to replace mine to have a smoother ride and avoid bump steer.Now im confused on what way to go.What brand do i buy and what series?
I think the HDs are still a good deal. Mine were installed incorrectly and in my frustration, I just went back to the OEM. Many, many CA members have stated that the ride was great and so was mine until the faulty installation was expoited.

Just make sure that you don't get a "know it all", "I can do anything" overconfident installer. Do it yourself or at least have a professional do it and let them know that if they do not replace all of the required parts, that there will be problems.
http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17909

21 - 37 of 37 Posts