Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, I finally ordered my 6100's ! But guess what......it will take up to six weeks to get them ! Boy that takes the shine off the whole purchase. I was able to find a place in Toronto that sold them for $292.00 each plus tax. So just around $650.00. I am so looking forward to getting control of the front end of this big vehicle. It always had a loose feel to it that was a bit unnerving at times. I will let you know when I get them and my results. Thanks again......Allan.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Did you consider going with King shocks for the Y62? Pricey but I hear they fit without modification:
Unless you plan on building up your Y62 as a truly dedicated, off-roading truck or lifting more than 2-3in, then the Kings would be a great option.

Well, I finally ordered my 6100's ! But guess what......it will take up to six weeks to get them ! Boy that takes the shine off the whole purchase. I was able to find a place in Toronto that sold them for $292.00 each plus tax. So just around $650.00. I am so looking forward to getting control of the front end of this big vehicle. It always had a loose feel to it that was a bit unnerving at times. I will let you know when I get them and my results. Thanks again......Allan.
You’re better than I am because I wouldn’t be able to wait six weeks. Let me know once you get them and if you need any additional info when installing.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
There is a guy on the 2017+ Armada Facebook group who just had Ironman shocks installed in all four corners. We are waiting for a drive report from him. Something else to consider if Bilsteins are taking too long.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well ......do you believe in miracles ! My shocks arrived at my door this afternoon !! My neighbor has a hoist in his garage and we may tackle the shocks this weekend. I will keep you posted ! :)

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
FYI, I placed the adjustable perch on the 5th slot (starting at the lowest). It leveled up the front perfectly, OE height of 35.5 in.
The instructions says not to mount the perch higher but that is because the first gen coil springs are taller than the front coil springs on our Y62/Z62.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
FYI, I placed the adjustable perch on the 5th slot (starting at the lowest). It leveled up the front perfectly, OE height of 35.5 in.
The instructions says not to mount the perch higher but that is because the first gen coil springs are taller than the front coil springs on our Y62/Z62.
It says not to mount it higher than the 5th slot or at the 5th slot? How many slots are there in total?

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
There are 7 slots.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Don't forget, this is a custom install. Those instructions are specific to the first gens and having owned an 04 LE for 11 years, I already knew why. As I've mentioned, the front coil springs on the first gen are much taller (8 coils) vs. what's on the Y62/Z62s (6 coils).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That is good to know about the circlip. Did you move it notch by notch with .......say needle nose pliers ? I see the coil sits on the seat which is on the shock. How do you go about releasing that tension on the coil ? I hope this doesn't sound like one of those dump questions ! Lol.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
The circlip is easy to adjust. I did use a needle nose and once you set about half the circlip onto a notch, the rest of it is easily pushed into place. I rented a Macpherson strut tool kit from Advance in order to compress the coils.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I know you haven’t done the rears, but how much do you suppose the rear suspension affects the quality of ride? I’ve heard conflicting points of view with some saying to change the rears first which will have the most impact on the floaty ride. That seems to go against common sense which would seem to indicate the front suspension is felt most by the driver.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have thought about this also. Wondering if you may feel a little imbalance now that the fronts will potentially have far more control or stability than what the rears have. I have followed closely what PrimoV8 has been saying about the transformation that took place with only changing the fronts and certainly the wonderful video he provided. All his info has been a wealth of great information and gave me the confidence to make this change on my Armada. I know he is looking into a replacement for the rears as we speak.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
I’m not looking to replace the auto rear leveling suspension since it still works. In the meantime, I am trying to find what other options that will work in place of the OE leveling shocks. So when that time comes to replace the OE parts, I’ll be ready to so.
We can all agree, the general purpose of the auto leveling rear is to keep the vehicle balanced with the front end. When the auto leveling rear is functional, the rear end of these trucks maintains a firm and planted ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Doing the shocks next week for sure. Neighbor busy this weekend !! Oh well. I see in the plastic package there is a spacer. Did you use that or toss it ? I see on the literature they show a factory spacer or sleeve.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
The Bilstein spacer is used in place of the lower OE spacer.
Here’s a thread from TT with great pics:

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I wonder how the Bilstein 5160 paired with Moog springs would fair in the back. I haven’t looked at the length of the Titan 5160 to see how it compares with the stock Armada. I also wonder how tall that would raise the rear end and if the front 6100s w/ stock springs can be adjusted to compensate.

Maybe someone will install and test this out.

How often are bushings supposed to last? My armada is only 4 years old with low miles, but I live on the Texas border with Mexico so we routinely see some of the hottest temperatures in the country.

The reason I ask is when I swap out the stock shocks for bilsteins (most likely), I’m wondering if I should swap out bushings. I’m trying to chase down a vibration in my steering at high speeds. I’ve bought 4 new tires which helped a lot but I feel there is still somewhat of a vibration still present.

Just bought the bilstein 6100's. $180 each at rockauto and only $8 shipping for the pair. I was thinking of going with a Ironman Foam cell pro package, but a FB group member is having all sorts of issues with aligning the rear end after installing them.

Doing the shocks next week for sure. Neighbor busy this weekend !! Oh well. I see in the plastic package there is a spacer. Did you use that or toss it ? I see on the literature they show a factory spacer or sleeve.
Did you wind up getting it installed? I hope to try to install this coming weekend.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well, funny you should ask ! I had them installed today ! What I noticed immediately was a slightly harsher ride. Nothing to worry about though. When I had finally hunted down a few uneven sections of road, it was very noticeable that the vehicle was far more controlled without that rock and roll that you would feel in the interior when going over such bumps in the road. I wanted to drive it faster than usual because you felt far more confident with the handling. It has made a big difference in how the vehicle feels FOR SURE ! I am glad I did it and I certainly want to again thank primo V8 for his endless supply of knowledge ( and experience ) which certainly guided me to this decision.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Well, funny you should ask ! I had them installed today ! What I noticed immediately was a slightly harsher ride. Nothing to worry about though. When I had finally hunted down a few uneven sections of road, it was very noticeable that the vehicle was far more controlled without that rock and roll that you would feel in the interior when going over such bumps in the road. I wanted to drive it faster than usual because you felt far more confident with the handling. It has made a big difference in how the vehicle feels FOR SURE ! I am glad I did it and I certainly want to again thank primo V8 for his endless supply of knowledge ( and experience ) which certainly guided me to this decision.
That’s great to hear. Did the rear feel odd to you now that the front end is much tighter?
Also, any unusual vibration in the steering wheel from the new shocks?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
One other note here that is interesting. When I got home, I measured the ground to wheel well height and came up with 36". I know you said it should be 35.5" and I did set the ring in the 5th position. Do you think this is an OK situation and would the shocks possibly settle in to the 35.5" position ?

Actually, the rear end felt a little more in unison with the fronts. I was wondering about that myself if there would be a little " fight " between the fronts and rears. I would have to say that other than the front being tighter, I did not notice any odd or unusual " side effects "

21 - 40 of 46 Posts