Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
@ golfballs, great to hear and enjoy the much firmer, more controlled ride. About the height, my QX80 was right around the 100k mark so it settled down within a couple days considering the mileage on the OE coils. I'm sure you have less mileage so give it a week or so for the new front suspension to settle down.
I'll say it again, these 6100s so far, has been the best upgrade/mod I've done on my QX80; even over the VL2 CarPlay interface.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks again for all your support. In regards to the boot that fits over the bare chrome rod of the shock, because of the size difference, the shop could not get them on. Should I come up with a secondary way to protect them or no big deal ?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Most aftermarket manufacturers doesn't even include these boots because the shock/strut is sheltered by the rest of the suspension components anyway. Even hard core off-roaders prefer not to have boots on any of their shocks/struts because it traps in mud and dirt.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I'm curious, what mods have you done to your QX?
I have them listed and attached some pics in my showcase profile if you want to check them out.
Suspension wise, the next upgrade is the Hellwig 7769 rear sway bar; it should be arriving next week.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Registered
2012 Infiniti QX56
11 Posts
Well, I finally ordered my 6100's ! But guess what......it will take up to six weeks to get them ! Boy that takes the shine off the whole purchase. I was able to find a place in Toronto that sold them for $292.00 each plus tax. So just around $650.00. I am so looking forward to getting control of the front end of this big vehicle. It always had a loose feel to it that was a bit unnerving at times. I will let you know when I get them and my results. Thanks again......Allan.
Hi Allan,

Been following your post and looks like the 6100s turned out great. Would you be able to share the link of where you ordered the struts? I'm in Canada as well.

Would you know if the same struts and install approach would work for a 2012 QX56? I have 137k KM and the bouncy vibe is killing me :)

Appreciate any guidance...

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
One other note here that is interesting. When I got home, I measured the ground to wheel well height and came up with 36". I know you said it should be 35.5" and I did set the ring in the 5th position. Do you think this is an OK situation and would the shocks possibly settle in to the 35.5" position ?

Actually, the rear end felt a little more in unison with the fronts. I was wondering about that myself if there would be a little " fight " between the fronts and rears. I would have to say that other than the front being tighter, I did not notice any odd or unusual " side effects "
How do you like the ride now that you have had it for a little while?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Good evening Chuck ! Sorry for being tardy on line here. I was so satisfied with the shocks that I did not come back here for a while !! I ordered the shocks from a company called Parts Engine Canada. I believe they are in the Toronto area. I am in London. I will look through my info to get you the right part number because they had a little trouble matching the shocks to the Armada since they actually do not have a listing for it. But mark my words, they made a huge difference !!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Good evening Chuck ! Sorry for being tardy on line here. I was so satisfied with the shocks that I did not come back here for a while !! I ordered the shocks from a company called Parts Engine Canada. I believe they are in the Toronto area. I am in London. I will look through my info to get you the right part number because they had a little trouble matching the shocks to the Armada since they actually do not have a listing for it. But mark my words, they made a huge difference !!
I still haven’t put mine on yet but have them sitting in my garage. How is the ride doing? Did you notice any change at highway speeds?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I have had it on the highway a few times and can only say that it was rock solid. Or put it this way. Nothing distracted me when I was driving so that has to be a good thing.

·
Registered
2012 Infiniti QX56
11 Posts
No worries bud. Check-in out their website right now. Searching the part number @primoV8 posted on page 1 (Bilstein 6100 24-270182). I have a 2012 QX56 and I think he has a 2014 QX80. Hoping to see if it would be the same before I pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Hey @primoV8 - I know you did the setup on a Qx80. Do you know if it would be the same for a 2012 QX56 (NON HBCM - NON DELUXE.TOURING)?
Yes, exactly the same. My QX80 is also non-HBMC so you’ll have no issues bolting it on.

Reactions: Chuck Canuck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Parts engine does not have a listing for those shocks on the Armada ( in my case ) so they used a 2015 Titan I believe to successfully put the order through.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I have had it on the highway a few times and can only say that it was rock solid. Or put it this way. Nothing distracted me when I was driving so that has to be a good thing.
Great to hear. Have you considered messing with the rear, or going to keep it stock for now?

·
Registered
2012 Infiniti QX56
11 Posts
With my QX80 breaking the 100K mark this year, its only proper to replace all those suspension related rubber bushings. A few things to note regarding this setup if you decide not to go with Radflo, King, etc.

I opted for the B8 6100s because it was as close as to the OE Tokico struts in regards to size, collapsed/extended lengths and travel. Now, the model I opted for was for the 04-16 Titans, 7 adjustable ride heights. It is also available for the 17-up Titan but it cost slightly more. From what Summit Racing had told me, the difference possibly has to do with how Bilstein changed up the slots for the adjustable coil perch on the newer Titans.
When I first installed it on the lowest perch setting, the front end of my truck was much lower than the rear. The coils on the Y62/Z62 are much softer and shorter than the previous gen. When I went to compress the springs to remove them from the OE struts, it didn't take much to do so with the manual strut compressor tools. I had to place the perch on the 4th or 5th slot; that pretty much leveled out the front end and brought the height right up to OE spec (35in. from ground to fender).
The rear OE pieces were already showing signs of cracks and splintering on the rubber bushings so I replaced those too.

Parts I installed:
Bilstein B8 6100 24-270182
Moog K160344 front strut mount w/ spring seat
KYB SM5700 front strut upper bushings
1/2" spacers, holes bored out to 14mm
Hey @primoV8 ... Thanks for your help. Hoping you can guide me on a few more questions.

I received the Bilstein 6100 24-270182 struts. Just waiting for the KYB and Moog parts.

Q1. When you said "bore to 14mm", is that referring to the washers? If so, safe to assume I can pickup 1/2 14mm hole washers if available?
Q2. To get level you said the 4th or 5th notch. Which notch did you find worked out best? And should I count the notches from the bottom up or from top down?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Yes, the 1/2” washers just need a slight bore to get the shaft of the OE bolts to pass thru. If you can source them with a 14mm bore, even better.

To obtain the OE height, I placed the circlip on the 5th notch, counting from the bottom-up.

Reactions: OBXPatrol

·
Registered
2012 Infiniti QX56
11 Posts
Yes, the 1/2” washers just need a slight bore to get the shaft of the OE bolts to pass thru. If you can source them with a 14mm bore, even better.

To obtain the OE height, I placed the circlip on the 5th notch, counting from the bottom-up.
Awesome! Thank you for all your help.

Once installed, next is researching what shocks to put in the back

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Awesome! Thank you for all your help.

Once installed, next is researching what shocks to put in the back
I’ve done a little research on this. It seems the best combination for the rear may be Moog shocks and bilstein 5160s. You could also go Fox,Icon, or King, but I’m beginning to think that they are not worth the cost. My understanding is the stock springs are not strong enough in the rear and the moogs are a good ride balance. Other springs like Ironman may be too stiff and too tall.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts