Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
If the OE rear air-leveling system isn’t broken, stick with it. At the moment, there really isn’t anything available for the rear, at least not from any reliable brand such as Bilstein.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
If the OE rear air-leveling system isn’t broken, stick with it. At the moment, there really isn’t anything available for the rear, at least not from any reliable brand such as Bilstein.
Agreed. That’s what I plan to do. And when they break I will experiment with perhaps a bilstein 5160 of approx the right length.

·
Registered
2012 Infiniti QX56
11 Posts
I’ve done a little research on this. It seems the best combination for the rear may be Moog shocks and bilstein 5160s. You could also go Fox,Icon, or King, but I’m beginning to think that they are not worth the cost. My understanding is the stock springs are not strong enough in the rear and the moogs are a good ride balance. Other springs like Ironman may be too stiff and too tall.
Are you saying Moog coil springs and Bilstein 5160 shocks? Don't happen to know part numbers do you or is it as simple as searching for model and year for the back?

My back is not leaking, however the ride is bouncy and rocks left and right or has a wavy ride on the highways (kids get nauseous)

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
If Bilstein were to build up the same shock absorbers currently available for the WA/JA60s but with a stud/bayonet end up top, I'd give it a try.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Are you saying Moog coil springs and Bilstein 5160 shocks? Don't happen to know part numbers do you or is it as simple as searching for model and year for the back?

My back is not leaking, however the ride is bouncy and rocks left and right or has a wavy ride on the highways (kids get nauseous)
I think there is only one Moog spring that fits but I don’t know the number off hand. I have not installed this and I don’t know anyone with this exact combo. But, it was recommended to me by a few ppl on the 2017+ armada FB group as something that may work. One of them runs Moog springs + King shocks in the rear. But his is a fully off-road dedicated rig. But he is very knowledgeable.

I think there is only one Moog spring that fits but I don’t know the number off hand. I have not installed this and I don’t know anyone with this exact combo. But, it was recommended to me by a few ppl on the 2017+ armada FB group as something that may work. One of them runs Moog springs + King shocks in the rear. But his is a fully off-road dedicated rig. But he is very knowledgeable.
Found it. Moog 81085. Again, I don’t know from experience but I have seen a few owners reference them.

I believe the armada stock extended length is 23” for the rear but I’m not positive. You need to verify this and then find something close.

·
Registered
2012 Infiniti QX56
11 Posts
Found it. Moog 81085. Again, I don’t know from experience but I have seen a few owners reference them.
Should've asked. Are these for the Armada or the 2011 and up QX?

I have a 2012 QX56 similar to the QX @primoV8 has. Will check specs online if these fit it. Yeah, the back is quite wavy and bouncy

·
Premium Member
120 Posts

I have a 2012 QX56 similar to the QX @primoV8 has. Will check specs online if these fit it. Yeah, the back is quite wavy and bouncy
The Moogs are not specifically for the Y62 (2nd gen armada or QX) but appear to fit according to some who have used them. Again, not a large sample size.

I plan to buy mine from Amazon so I can easily return if needed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I remember a posting from Primo V8 about the front shocks. Since obviously after a while of driving the vehicle, you become used to the wonderful change the Bilsteins made. BUT......as he said every once in a while you remember making the change and how dramatic it was. Brings a smile to my face every time I back my Armada out of the garage !

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts

The Moog 81085 rear coils are for the WA/JA60s. Its possible these coils may very well be a direct swap but I have not looked into swapping out the OE air-leveling rear suspension since it is still 100% functional.
One thing I've learned and can't stress enough, these WA/JA60s to our Z62/Y62s, is that the alignment goes out of spec quite easily, especially in the rear. Also, finding a reputable and competent tech/shop that has the know how to align a 4WD vehicle with both IFS and IRS setup is just as important. Once these trucks are out of spec in regards to alignment, it just makes the truck drive and ride like trash.

Reactions: Chuck Canuck

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
The Moog 81085 rear coils are for the WA/JA60s. Its possible these coils may very well be a direct swap but I have not looked into swapping out the OE air-leveling rear suspension since it is still 100% functional.
One thing I've learned and can't stress enough, these WA/JA60s to our Z62/Y62s, is that the alignment goes out of spec quite easily, especially in the rear. Also, finding a reputable and competent tech/shop that has the know how to align a 4WD vehicle with both IFS and IRS setup is just as important. Once these trucks are out of spec in regards to alignment, it just makes the truck drive and ride like trash.
Excellent reminder about alignments. It’s what keeps me from messing with the rear suspension. I don’t trust the shop in my area to have the expertise to handle aligning the truck with an aftermarket rear suspension.

What would the solution be if I was interested in a mild lift, say 1.5-2" while using Bilstein 6112s? Would the best option be a longer spring to swap out the stock ones in the front?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I am not 100 % on this but the Bistien shocks that some of us have put on our Armadas are adjustable. They are the 6100 series and substantially improve the control on the front end. So changing to the 6100's may give you the best of both worlds. Improved handling ( no more bouncy front end ) and increase your ride height. I believe Primo V8 ( if he replies ) will be able to give you a definite answer on this. :)

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Thanks. I actually bought the 6100s but haven't installed them yet. I will probably install them at first to match the ride height of stock, but was curious if in the future I want a mild lift, what I would need to do to continue using my bilsteins.

I am not 100 % on this but the Bistien shocks that some of us have put on our Armadas are adjustable. They are the 6100 series and substantially improve the control on the front end. So changing to the 6100's may give you the best of both worlds. Improved handling ( no more bouncy front end ) and increase your ride height. I believe Primo V8 ( if he replies ) will be able to give you a definite answer on this. :)
The setting to maintain stock height is at the 5 notch, right? I’m not sure you can go above that safely for any lift. Seems the only way would be longer springs or a spacer (not a fan).

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I’ve thought about this as well, especially after figuring out these 6100s works on our Z62/Y62s. As I’ve mentioned before, the coils springs on our trucks are about 2 coils shorter than the previous gen WA/JA60s. With that said, I have this theory, although not tested or proven yet, that the WA/JA60 front coils would actually give our Z62/Y62s a lift.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I’ve thought about this as well, especially after figuring out these 6100s works on our Z62/Y62s. As I’ve mentioned before, the coils springs on our trucks are about 2 coils shorter than the previous gen WA/JA60s. With that said, I have this theory, although not tested or proven yet, that the WA/JA60 front coils would actually give our Z62/Y62s a lift.
Excellent idea. Although, before I consider lifting the front end I guess I would need a solution for the rear.

·
Registered
2012 Infiniti QX56
11 Posts
Yes, the 1/2” washers just need a slight bore to get the shaft of the OE bolts to pass thru. If you can source them with a 14mm bore, even better.

To obtain the OE height, I placed the circlip on the 5th notch, counting from the bottom-up.
hey @primoV8 thanks for all the counselling. All installed now and WOW what a difference. I placed it on the 5th slot.

Question: I searched online and couldn't find a clear cut answer. What would happen if I put the circlip on the 4th or 3rd slot? Would it lower the front a bit? Would the ride become even more stiffer with less bounce or the opposite? It sits a bit higher and I know it will settle in. Just curious as to what would happen when I go down or up the notches.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
@Chuck Canuck, when I did this custom DIY setup, my Z62 was closing in around 100K miles. It settled in about a week and the 5th slot worked out perfectly in regards to the ride height. Lowering the perch a notch or two will definitely lower the front end. My guess...it'll likely make the ride even stiffer up front as the OE coils are now compressed a coil or two lower.

Reactions: Chuck Canuck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I remember a posting from Primo V8 about the front shocks. Since obviously after a while of driving the vehicle, you become used to the wonderful change the Bilsteins made. BUT......as he said every once in a while you remember making the change and how dramatic it was. Brings a smile to my face every time I back my Armada out of the garage !
I have a ’17 Armada, my rear air bags are leaking. I would like to do the Moog Coil Springs and inexpensive shocks, did anyone ever land on rear shock replacement and some part #’s?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hate to jump in and hijack the thread but I've got a question. I have a 2018 mada and I accidentally purchased the Bilstein 5100 for the previous gen armada. I read that you chose the the 6100s because they were the closest to OE length and travel. What is OE length and travel for those vehicles? This shock has collapsed length of 11.3 and extended length of 15.6 and the travel length of 4.2 would I be able to bore out the hole for this shock and would it fit for my application or should I get a different shock? Thanks for any help! Mucho appreciated!!

jonathan!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The reasons why Bilstein won't "fit" has to do with the bushing mount on the lower eyelet. The strut mount bracket on the LCA of the Z62/Y62 is slightly wider apart. Here's how I know ;)
The lower eyelet bushing on the OE struts are roughly 8mm wider than the Bilsteins.

I installed these B8 6100s over a month ago. All I did was add a couple 1/2 SS spacers to fill in the gap on the LCA strut bracket. I bored out the holes to roughly 14mm in order for the bolt to pass thru. What I also found out, since the top strut mount is the same from 04-current armadas, titans, qx56/80 non-HBMC, so are the strut mount rubber bushings. In other words, if you were to replace just the top strut mount from Nissan, for a Y62...it would cost almost $50/each. Don't even get me started on the spring seat and strut rubber bushings. I paid right around $60, Rockauto.com, for new Moog strut mounts w/ spring seats and KYB strut rubber bushings for both sides. What a huge difference it made on my QX80. The ride feels firmer but not jarring and when driving over multiple road construction plates, the truck still feels so planted. I knew these B8 6100s would be overkill but I'm sure they would show their true worth for those off roading with their trucks.
I will be trying the same setup. Thanks for the explanation. Any more advice after a year
?

61 - 79 of 79 Posts