Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems a lot of people here like the Bilstien 5100's but I've saw reports if you get the set the rears are too long for the Armada?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Several years ago Bilstein didn't make a rear shock that fit the Armada so folks tried various Bilstein shocks and had travel and compression distance problems.

Bilstein still doesn't make a 5100 for the rear (that I know of) but DOES now make a 4600 that 100% fits the rear - I have them and I like them a lot. I had the Racho 9000s before and they worked well but the Bilsteins are better - and you can match them with Bilstein 4600s or 5100s up front. The 5100s give you some height adjustment - the 4600s are stock-ish height and not adjustable.

Part #s in my signature.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So from what I'm reading if you have the towing package then you have air shocks in the rear? It seems those need replacements?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Best way to see if you have air shocks or not is to stick your head under there and look.

They only need replacing if they are bad. I wouldn't advise replacing good parts unless you just feel like spending the time and money, which is ok too.

They usually go bad by leaking air at the shock and then the rear end will sag. I see a lot of Armadas on the road with a saggy ass. BUT if you have the air suspension they could be leaking between the compressor and the shock - so you have to check there too. There are some threads here on that too.

You can just buy new air shocks (if that is in fact what is bad) and replace them and be as good as new (if they aren't leaking elsewhere). Another thread here has a link to a set on Amazon for $250.

OR - you could take out the air shocks and replace them with the Bilsteins mentioned above. Entirely a personal choice. If you do that I would recommend also replace the stock springs with the Moog springs listed in my signature. That is because the stock springs are (imo) a little too soft without the air shocks. Those Moogs are just right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Best way to see if you have air shocks or not is to stick your head under there and look.

They only need replacing if they are bad. I wouldn't advise replacing good parts unless you just feel like spending the time and money, which is ok too.

They usually go bad by leaking air at the shock and then the rear end will sag. I see a lot of Armadas on the road with a saggy ass. BUT if you have the air suspension they could be leaking between the compressor and the shock - so you have to check there too. There are some threads here on that too.

You can just buy new air shocks (if that is in fact what is bad) and replace them and be as good as new (if they aren't leaking elsewhere). Another thread here has a link to a set on Amazon for $250.

OR - you could take out the air shocks and replace them with the Bilsteins mentioned above. Entirely a personal choice. If you do that I would recommend also replace the stock springs with the Moog springs listed in my signature. That is because the stock springs are (imo) a little too soft without the air shocks. Those Moogs are just right.
How do those Moogs do for towing? I don't want sag when I tow... Honestly, I drive an M3 most of the time so I can deal with a harsher ride if that's the trade-off.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Best option I know of. Most I've towed is 5k and it was fine. Maybe not as good as the air shock at full weight though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I still need to remove my airshocks and install the rough country N3's.... But just those springs make a HUGE difference! So much more settled!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Several years ago Bilstein didn't make a rear shock that fit the Armada so folks tried various Bilstein shocks and had travel and compression distance problems.

Bilstein still doesn't make a 5100 for the rear (that I know of) but DOES now make a 4600 that 100% fits the rear - I have them and I like them a lot. I had the Racho 9000s before and they worked well but the Bilsteins are better - and you can match them with Bilstein 4600s or 5100s up front. The 5100s give you some height adjustment - the 4600s are stock-ish height and not adjustable.

Part #s in my signature.
Thanks so much for sharing this, (y)

I was seeing people mention the Icons for the rear and 5100/4600 for the front in older posts.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I should add that if you are towing heavy you can also add Firestone air bags inside the coil springs (this is with the non air shock set up) to keep the rear from sagging. They're under $100 and I did install them when I converted, but I've never had so much weight on the back that I needed them.

Just one of those things that you might as well do while you have the springs out, especially if you think you will max out the tongue weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts