Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem obvious to some of you and perhaps some of you already do this.

Instead of having the dealer "flush" and replace your power steering fluid, like was recommended by my Nissan Dealer at 60K, I opted for the simple DIY method: Get your wife's (or sig other) turkey baster (recommend that all leftver turkey juice is removed) and use this to suck all possible fluid from the PS fluid reservior. Then replace with new Nissan PS fluid. Cost: $4 for fluid (unless you get caught by wife/other - then the cost may possibly be higher):D

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Yes that is is simple. Makes me wonder if that is how the dealer does it or if he flushes/replaces also the remain fluid that is still left in the hoses and cylinder? Using the baster only replaces some of the fluid.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
This may seem obvious to some of you and perhaps some of you already do this.

Instead of having the dealer "flush" and replace your power steering fluid, like was recommended by my Nissan Dealer at 60K, I opted for the simple DIY method: Get your wife's (or sig other) turkey baster (recommend that all leftver turkey juice is removed) and use this to suck all possible fluid from the PS fluid reservior. Then replace with new Nissan PS fluid. Cost: $4 for fluid (unless you get caught by wife/other - then the cost may possibly be higher):D
The problem is, that simple technique only removes perhaps a third of the PS fluid.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3X - Just like a tranny fluid exchange

A 3X exchange just like you do for tranny's will put "mostly" good fluid in the PS system. At $12 beats the heck out of a dealer flush for $$$.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
ps fluid change

Consider this-
Jack up front until both wheels are off ground.
Do not start engine
remove reservoir inlet line, route to bucket, plug hole in reservoir
turn steering wheel all the way left
refill fluid reservoir
turn steering wheel all the way to the right
refill fluid reservoior
repeat
when you see clean fluid running from reservoir inlet line into dump bucket-re-attach inlet line to reservoir.
top off with fluid
start engine
cycle steering slowly 4 or 5 times to purge any air accidently ingested into system (you can tell if you accidently sucked some air by foam appearing in reservoir)
top off if necessary
you're good to go!
The steering ram/rack/pinion will pump fluid through itself without the engine running, at a slow enough rate to stay ahead of it.
BTDT- it works.:D

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Consider this-
Jack up front until both wheels are off ground.
Do not start engine
remove reservoir inlet line, route to bucket, plug hole in reservoir
turn steering wheel all the way left
refill fluid reservoir
turn steering wheel all the way to the right
refill fluid reservoior
repeat
when you see clean fluid running from reservoir inlet line into dump bucket-re-attach inlet line to reservoir.
top off with fluid
start engine
cycle steering slowly 4 or 5 times to purge any air accidently ingested into system (you can tell if you accidently sucked some air by foam appearing in reservoir)
top off if necessary
you're good to go!
The steering ram/rack/pinion will pump fluid through itself without the engine running, at a slow enough rate to stay ahead of it.
BTDT- it works.:D
Cool method cause the dealer wanted $100 to do this...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you using a specific type of power steering fluid? I just purchased a 08 with 173k miles. I don't see any mainteance that has been done on the Power Steering, so want to perform this. Right now, the wheel requires some "muscle" to turn, and when i check the resevoir it is low.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Are you using a specific type of power steering fluid?
Check the maintenance section of your service manual. You can get it here for your '08:
The maintenance section is "MA.pdf"

So the short answer is that you can use an ATF that is Dexron III or Mercon equivalent.

This is for my '07. Probably the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts