Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much degredation in sound quality can be expected from FM Modulation.

My dealer wants approximately $700 to install the oem version while I can get car and home kits from Crutchfield for under $200. Is just that you have to run wires to the aux input and have another control panel?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I would hard wire, FM modulation should be worse than your FM reception.

There are several people who have done both the OEM and the $200 Aftermarket setup and hardwired both.
On FreshAlloy there is a guy who did the NavTV install but he actuall took the Auxillary input and tapped into it behind the plastic for a clean install.
I heard the Aux input is also not the best way but a clean install means alot to some people.

Search around a bit and you will find someone with instructions on the way to hardwire the OEM sirius. Also if you buy direct from Sirius they can give you a deal like some free months and what not.

--Raffa
This is from FreshAlloy.com
Here you go

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
RKS said:
How much degredation in sound quality can be expected from FM Modulation.

My dealer wants approximately $700 to install the oem version while I can get car and home kits from Crutchfield for under $200. Is just that you have to run wires to the aux input and have another control panel?
I took the plunge and bought the OEM and installed it myself. Took me 3.5 hours but I took my time. I was afraid at first but its actually a smooth install. If your not mechanically inclined I would still do the OEM. I've heard the modulated ones and the hardwire beats it hands down. If you don't go OEM I would at least go aftermarket but go hardwire into the aux input. Believe me...you'll be happy. It sounds better than playing CD's. it seemd that satellite has more dynamic range than CD's. Plus you get all th channels.My $.02 Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Don't be afraid to hardwire. I would hardwire it into the DVD if you don't have a DVD already. This will allow you to select the audio from the steering wheel or rear controls, unlike the aux which is only accesible on the dash controls...they say it is selectable on the rear but they lie. Hooking into the dvd audio prewire is simple. If you need more info let me know.

Actually I think you should already be SAT prewiring???? I think its under the driverside dash.

found it, here is a how to link

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
llajumpvid
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing