Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a problem but an experience. Was filling up the tank with the ignition switch on ACC, when I finished filling the tank, I started the truck and the guage read 1/4 tank. I turned around about to go off on the gas station manager. I tried putting more gas in it before I sued them for inacurrate gas pumps, but found out it really was full. I drove off and over the next 20 minutes, the guage and the computer readjusted itself to full. Wierd. Anyone else experience this? I suppose keeping the ignition on with the cap off tricks the computer in some way.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Not me. :confused:

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
No, my only problem is the gauge goes down too fast!

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Some have had problems with the sending unit for the gauge. If it happens again go to your dealer for the fix.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Me too... I have a theory

Mine did the EXACT same thing. I worried about it for the whole drive home, and then kinda thought of a theory. I haven't confirmed it, but here it goes... no flaming if I'm wrong... just tell me I'm off the mark...

I am guessing that the fuel gauge is not completely "analog" and that there is probably some digital function between the fuel sensor and the actual guage. I am also guessing that the "computer" that controls the guage is trying to limit the amount of false readings on the guage and prevent a "rocking" guage (old analog guages had a tendency to swing up and down with the sloshing of the gas in the tank). So, my hypothesis is... the gauge shows an "average" of the fuel amount calculated over a specified period of time. If you do not cut the ignition completely off during fueling, then the start time for this calculation isn't reset, and the guage doesn't immediately show your current fuel amount. The guage gradually rises over time and after about 30 minutes, it will show the full tank.

This hypothesis would make alot more sense if we were talking about a trip computer, but it may still apply for the fuel guage as well. If any of you Nissan Service Tech's are out there to confirm or deny this, please let us all know.

Whether I'm wrong or right... the quick fix for this issue is to completely turn the ignition off at the fuel pump and the guage will be accurate.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Mine has done this a few times as well. The first time was the morning after I had filled up at the station around the corner from my house. I was driving to work the next morning, looked down at the gage and thought someone had to of siphoned my tank over the night but by the time I got home it was full.

The ignition on may have something to it. I don't remember if the times its done it I had my ignition on but, sometimes my daughter is watching a video so when I fill up I'll just shut off the engine and let the video continue to play.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Sorry guys, but I got used to keep the car running while refueling, especially here in southern california in summer with the family in the car, keeping the windows open is not enough, so I keep the A/C running, and Fl Crushin, yes it happened to me all the time not only in the Armada but in my ford explorer sport track, so I got used to it. ;)

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Nearly every car I have driven does this if you leave the ignition on whilst refueling. Here in Saudi everyone refuels with the engine running, just turn the key to off before restarting and the gauge resets itself.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ligten Up?

ftnssn said:
thats nice that your first reaction wasn't, "oh I must have done something wrong", but "I'm going to sue"
Just a little joke ftnssn, the thought actually never crossed my mind. But seems to me you've had a bad experience, maybe you need to go see Base Legal for a free 'psych eval'. It'll be ok, there is life after the military. :teeth:

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Same Problem here

I had the exact same thing happen and it never occured to me that it was because the ignition was on but now that you guys mention it I do recall that it was on because the family was in the vehicle watching a moving and enjoying the AC. It took about 30 minutes of driving before it started showing full. Glad to have figured out what is causing it now the question remains why?

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
mine has done the same thing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.