Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning! I noticed a small oil leak after replacing the radiator. I'm upside down in this vehicle $7k plus with no available cash on hand to trade out.

I checked the oil dip stick and the oil level looks fine to me from what I know *not playing a mechanic *.

The leak appears to be in the very front , and could have been there but i cannot confirm nor deny. Therefore I'm blaming it on the most recent repair of the radiator. Noone will look at it until Saturday as it Thanksgiving week.

Would love to hear your insight on this situation.

Thanking you in advance!
Nicole

·
Super Moderator
5,473 Posts
hello and welcome.

what model do you have?

have you confirmed its oil and not, say, power steering fluid or transmission fluid?

photos showing where the leak is or where its "dripping" to will be helpful.

could be the oil cooler or the actual base where the oil filter connects to.

could be a hole in a hose also.

how did you first notice it? was it the same day as the radiator replacement?

is your oil level low? oil light on?

who replaced the radiator? nissan/infiniti? some other dealer? or a local mechanic/friend?

What did the shop say when you asked them about it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying. I noticed it after my 2010 Qx56 started acting like she was sliding on ice. Unfortunately it was replaced my a local mechanic shop as my vehicle was smoking and this was the closet shop. I did not want to damage the engine so I stop there.

They havent said anything other than leave it.and they would look at it or come back after Thanksgiving.

The color if the fluid appears to be a pink or red color when dabbed up with a white paper towel. Hard to get a photo but standing in front of the vehicle it is in the front behind the radiator below the engine.

I hope these answers help

My tires are not new but have plenty of thread

·
Premium Member
3,526 Posts
Since the fluid you are seeing is red, it's probably transmission fluid. There is a transmission cooler line that attaches to the radiator. I'm going to guess that when they replaced the radiator they either didn't tighten that connection up completely, or the connection is leaking. This is a known problem with our vehicles. If you are driving a long distance, keep an eye on your transmission temperature.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Super Moderator
5,473 Posts
agree with camp, after reading your post it sounds like tranny fluid, and this would make sense since the cooler for the tranny is right there in that area.

if you dont mind getting dirty.. :) climb up under there and trace the "leak". its possible the leak may be originating from somewhere else but travelling to the spot its dripping at...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you CampFamily! I havent been able to sleep worrying about this. I feel as if they are not listening to me and get offended when I contact them.

When I go back there how should I present my concerns to them? Also is it very expensive to replace the transmission fluid that has been lost? How can I tell it was replenished? :cry:

Thanks marctronixx! I dont mind getting dirty, but what am I trying to trace? Also how much fluid can be lost before it causes a problem

·
Super Moderator
5,473 Posts
im saying just look under there to make sure you know exactly where the leak is coming from. if its at the tranny cooler, then its possible they messed with something when removing the radiator.

we arent there in person so we are only going on what you tell us but it does seem like the install with the radiator may have caused an issue.

in the end it will depend on how accommodating the shop is...

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Im going to say that the "slipping on ice" feeling is the trans being low on fluid and actually slipping. Do not drive it until it's checked out. If you are taking it back to the shop that did the radiator have someone else look at the leak and fluid level and document it beforehand. This will help cover your butt if the original shop acts like they did nothing wrong.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you marctronixx and gt601! I'm not sure where the tranny cooler is but I was able to allow the liquid to drip on a paper towel and it is in fact a pinkish red. Thank you for all your help! Happy Thanksgiving if it applies.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
As a few have mentioned, since the radiator was just replaced, could be the transmission oil cooler hose that they didn't connect properly. Nissan likes using the spring-type clamps on their hoses which lose their clamping power over time.
If you look at the attached photo, the clamp on the right is the spring-type. The one on the left where the arrow is pointing is a worm-gear clamp. I would ask them to put on a worm-gear clamp in place of whatever is on there now.

It's also possible that the hose itself is old/brittle and is leaking. Hopefully you will be lucky and can get out of this relatively cheaply. If you need a new hose, it would run you around $25 or so. A new clamp is just a few bucks. Nissan Matic S transmission fluid is about $10 a quart. The entire capacity of transmission fluid is around 11 quarts, but hopefully you've not lost anywhere near that.

And hopefully the shop you are at is smart enough to know they shouldn't just dump any old transmission fluid into it.
It needs to be compatible for your vehicle, either Nissan Matic S or one that specifically states that it is an equivalent or exceeds Nissan Matic S.

Here you can see what happens with those cheap clamps.
This is from over on TitanTalk (Same engine as an Armada/QX56 ) and shows leakage either due to crappy quality hoses and/or clamps on the transmission cooler lines.

I will add that one day I was about 2 blocks from home. I pulled in front of the house and parked the Armada... just happened to look back at it and saw a puddle forming under the engine. Walked back to the truck and behind it was a solid line of transmission fluid that ran for at least 2 blocks. Got a rupture in one of the transmission cooler hoses. I was very fortunate for it to happen when/where it did.

Oh, and if you watch this video starting at the 1 minute mark, you will see where these hoses are on the underside of the vehicle...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You tchjts1! I appreciate you and the rest of the guys who have replied. I stumbled onto this website, and I will keep this booked marked for ever. You guys are GREAT in Tony the Tiger voice. Please pray that everything goes smoothly tomorrow when I go to have this repaired. Thank you the photos and video was very helpful. Worm gear not spring clamp got it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Lastly... if this hillbilly shop you are at quotes a bunch of money to get it fixed, I would opt out of that place.

How far are you from a Nissan dealer, even if you have to have it towed to them? Do not drive this thing with a tranny leak though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow tchjts1!! Thanks...I'm so considering not even going over there but this is the place my warranty company processed the claim. I only stop there because it was smoking. I will have to drive about 5 miles to a Nissan dealership.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Wow tchjts1!! Thanks...I'm so considering not even going over there but this is the place my warranty company processed the claim. I only stop there because it was smoking. I will have to drive about 5 miles to a Nissan dealership.
Do not drive that vehicle anywhere, or you risk trashing your transmission, which will cost BIG bucks to repair.. I understand you stopped there because it was an emergency. If you have roadside assistance (offered by most insurance companies as a default), you tell them that you have transmission fluid leaking and the transmission is slipping. They should give you a tow at no charge to wherever you want to go - within reason.

It is up to you, but if your local shop can't identify the cause of a simple transmission fluid leak, or won't listen to the probable causes we've offered, then it is time to go elsewhere. Many of of us on this forum have experienced the leaks due to these clamps and hoses. You just had the radiator replaced, so it sounds like a simple case of one of the hoses not re-connected properly, it (hose) has failed, or the clamp is not holding properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow tchjts1! Omg o had no idea. How will I know if i have trashed the tranny? I will not drive the truck thank you.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I'm not saying you trashed it. I'm just trying to prevent you from doing so. I personally would not drive your vehicle 5 miles. If your local shop is just down the street, go for it, but go easy on the throttle and as CampFamily mentioned up above, keep your eye on the transmission temperature gauge on your dash.

With it slipping... that's friction... friction = heat. An overheated transmission that is low on transmission fluid is a bad deal and bad things can happen. A transmission is not all just metal gears... there is soft stuff in there as well.
(Just to be clear, the "slipping" is your transmission slipping, not your tires... even though it feels like you are driving in icy conditions)

Also, I'm not saying that your local mechanic won't be able to fix the problem. Maybe when they take a second look at it, they will see what the issue is and resolve it. Don't approach them with attitude or being all upset. Just calmly tell them you talked to a couple of guys who had this very problem and ask them to check the transmission cooler lines and the hose clamps. Ask them if they have some worm-gear hose clamps they can use instead of the spring type that is on there. Tell them these clamps are known to go bad on these vehicles.

Otherwise, call your auto insurance company (Not your warranty company) and as I mentioned above, explain to them you have transmission fluid leaking out and the tranny is slipping. If they ask how much leaked out, don't just say "some drops". Clearly it is more than that. Just tell them there is a "puddle". Ask them if they cover the cost of towing. I have Geico and they cover towing as part of my insurance package. It also sounds like your vehicle is covered by some type of warranty. If it were me and it was covered by warranty and the transmission was involved, it would be towed to a Nissan/Infinity dealer instead of Billy Bob down on the corner.

Don't be upset, Nicole... I suspect you will be getting out of this pretty cheap and all will be well. :)

Also, as I previously mentioned, the type of Automatic Transmission Fluid they put in is important.
The manufacturer (Nissan/Infinity) uses Nissan Matic S.
Other options that I believe are compatible are Amsoil ATF or Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF and I believe Royal Purple ATF is also acceptable.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on those.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good Morning tchjts1! Never thought you said I did anything. Sorry I was asking could me driving her have trashed the tranny and/or how I would know if I did. The shop contacted me after I emailed the corporate office and they asked me to bring her back. I never said a word about what you and the other guys said....and they repeated the majority of what was said here. The only difference is when asked about the type of tranny oil the guy told me that my vechile takes Nissan Matic J not the S you all mentioned.

I would have taken the vehicle to Infiniti from the start but I did not know how far i could drive with the radiator hose off. Also that morning i was late for a meeting and we just got a new.director so my tardiness was not a good look.

I also have geico the manager from Billy Bob's Boutique LOL trying to laugh though all of this said because I am less than a mile from their shop it would be ok to drive her. So I'm here now waiting. I will keep you and the rest of the guys posted.

Now might be the time to either trade out of my baby and/or get a backup vehicle.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!! YOU ARE THE BEST!!!! AWESOME FORUM GUYS!

Who do I see when enter the waiting room, but the mechanic that worked on my vehicle doing paper work. He did not speak and ass not interested in any small talk. Very awkward

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
The only difference is when asked about the type of tranny oil the guy told me that my vechile takes Nissan Matic J not the S you all mentioned.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!! YOU ARE THE BEST!!!! AWESOME FORUM GUYS!
Nissan Matic J is fine. It has been superseded by Nissan Matic S, but if they still have J, that will be fine. I suspect that if they make a run to Nissan to get some, they will be handed Nissan Matic S. :)

Glad things are going your way now. Hopefully you are up and running shortly!

So now I am curious about your radiator. This has been another known issue with these vehicles. My original one was bad with several leaks around the bottom at about 40k miles. They replaced it under warranty with a Cryomax, which was just as bad as the original. I then replaced that with a Koyo, that is still running strong.

If you are still at the shop, ask them what brand radiator they put in your vehicle, or see if it is on the paperwork they gave you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello Tchjts1! Thank you very much for all your advice. She's up and running, clean and smiling. As stated in a previous post I need to get a backup vehicle. I'm tall (6ft) with 4 teens. I would basically only have 3 of them riding with me on occasion. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
You didn't tell us what they did to fix your problem?

I wouldn't know what to tell you to get for a backup vehicle. Pretty much no matter what you get, things are eventually going to have to be repaired and replaced.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts