Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time it was due to a faulty air bag system. We had it in for service over 4 times for the same problem. They finally replaced the entire computer system but myself and my family do not feel safe anymore so I decided again to open a claim with Nissan North America and today they approved the buy back. As some of you may know this is my second Armada and second buy back (check sig). I love my Armada but can't trust that the issue is fixed. Just thought I would share my story. :(

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I actually just finished a claim with our Trailblazer SS and hence the reason why I am now on these boards...just got the Armada to replace it. To file a claim you really need to have all your ducks in a row. Have all your invoices from repair attempts, the number of days in for the repairs, and you should have also made some contact with the manufacturer to express your concerns.
I had my Trailblazer for 28 months and during that length of time it was at the dealership for a total of 56 days for five repairs/ replacements of my rear differential. My word of advice for everybody out there is to keep all your paperwork and to make it know to the manufacturer early on about your issue. If talking to the manufacturer doesn't get you anywhere and they shrug you off (which GM did to me), then file a BBB claim through their Autoline system. I kid you not, three hours after I filed my BBB claim I had a General Motors Business Rep calling me trying to work things out. Good luck.
-Sean

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Wow 2 Armadas that were lemons. I know that I had a couple issues... but it was just a seat belt tensioner and they fixed that (this caused my airbag light to come on) and they just also did my front Diff and Axles. I have a 2005 LE.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how did you apply for it? share some info? thanks

Bascially what schoolzin said but Nissan is really helpful with these claims. They will contact the dealer you have it serviced at and gather all of the service records for you. It took approximately 45 days for the claim to be reviewed and the buy back approved. Like I said Nissan is really good, I didn't have to get a lawyer or have to contact the BBB. I just stated my case and concerns and they were really helpful.

I am not sure what we will replace it with but will be another full size SUV. We like the Sequoia's but they are very pricey when full loaded. We may even go back to the Armada or maybe even a QX56. We also looked at Navigators but I'm afraid Ford may get rid of Lincoln all together.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
you say it was the airbag system? i've had mine to the dealer 4 times for the airbag light, and now its on again. everytime they tell me that its either a seatbelt pre-tensioner or that they didnt clear the codes right the last time. but i think thats bs because i manually checked the pre-tensioners and they all work fine. and how do you not clear the codes correctly? if they didnt i dont think the light would ever go off. but every time i pick it up the light stays off for a couple months. its to the point now where i dont know if the airbag system is working, and my main reason for buying an armada was safety. thanks for the heads-up on this. also, can i lemon mine, being that i didnt buy it new, and it now has 45k on it?

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you say it was the airbag system? i've had mine to the dealer 4 times for the airbag light, and now its on again. everytime they tell me that its either a seatbelt pre-tensioner or that they didnt clear the codes right the last time. but i think thats bs because i manually checked the pre-tensioners and they all work fine. and how do you not clear the codes correctly? if they didnt i dont think the light would ever go off. but every time i pick it up the light stays off for a couple months. its to the point now where i dont know if the airbag system is working, and my main reason for buying an armada was safety. thanks for the heads-up on this. also, can i lemon mine, being that i didnt buy it new, and it now has 45k on it?
That's exactly what happened with mine. I am not 100% sure about the lemon law but I think you have to be under 36k miles for it to be covered.

Have they replaced the computer? That's what they did with mine after the 4th attempt.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
the airbags are considered a major component on nissans, hence there is a 5yr 60k mile warranty on them, the seatbelts are 120 months (10yr) unlimited miles. All warranty's are from the original in-service date, which is when the vehicle is first titled.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
You don't exactly have to be under 18,000 miles. Within the first 18 months or 18,000 miles you need to have had typically three repair attempts for the same issue or about 30 days total down time without your vehicle due to these repair attempts. The law is a little confusing and intentionally left a little open ended in order not to lock the BBB into an exact number since every case is a little bit different. My car had three visits to the dealership in my first 18,000 miles for the rear diff, but only twice did they actually repair it. My third attempt was actually at 19,100 miles but still within the first 18 months. I think the BBB really looks at each case individually so it's always worth a shot to pursue it if you are unsure...you never know how strong of a case you have until you submit a complaint.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
so even though my airbag system is still covered under warranty (something my dealer forgot to mention to me) i'm over the 18k, so it doesnt count? that seems kinda lame. now that i know the warranty covers the airbags to 60k i'm calling the dealer tomorrow. thanks for the heads-up guys.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
so even though my airbag system is still covered under warranty (something my dealer forgot to mention to me) i'm over the 18k, so it doesnt count? that seems kinda lame. now that i know the warranty covers the airbags to 60k i'm calling the dealer tomorrow. thanks for the heads-up guys.
Yeah, If I'm correct you can't file a lemon law claim unless you are the original owner. ...at least that's what I remember reading at one time. Let us know if your dealer gives you a hard time.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
and let me tell you, for working at a dealership for 3 years and hearing A TON of complaints about various vehicles i only recall one actually being bought back- and it was a 2004 nissan armada, for the brake issue. Its not easy having a manufacturer say "arite heres your 50 grand back", but it does and it should happen when the customer deserves it, best of luck to you my friend, and speak to an attorney.

check this link http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/CA_law.html

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and let me tell you, for working at a dealership for 3 years and hearing A TON of complaints about various vehicles i only recall one actually being bought back- and it was a 2004 nissan armada, for the brake issue. Its not easy having a manufacturer say "arite heres your 50 grand back", but it does and it should happen when the customer deserves it, best of luck to you my friend, and speak to an attorney.

check this link http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/CA_law.html

The break issue was the reason Nissan bought back my 2005 Armada. You really don't need a lawyer unless they decline your claim. In both instances Nissan was very understanding and worked with me very well without hiring a lawyer. From what the Rep told me is that they do not like to "mess" around with claims in California because of the strict laws we have. :confused:

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So this Friday will be my last day with the Armada. My wife and I spent the weekend looking at all SUV's and the only one that really compares is the Sequoia.

We also looked at the Navigator, Expedition, Yukon, Tahoe, Denali and Escalade and none of them to me even compare to the Armada or Sequoia. Right now we are leaning towards the Sequoia but we'll see this weekend.

We also looked at the Honda Pilot and they are pretty nice and affordable but I think a little too small for us. A fully loaded Pilot is about $10k cheaper than a fully loaded Armada and Sequoia!!!

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Why not step up and get the QX?

We looked at the same SUVs that you mentioned and it came down to the Sequioa Platinum and the QX. We could not handle the lack of luxury in the Sequoia and that mess of a dash.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just curious, but what dealership are you working with? I live in central CA (clovis) and was wondering if I know the dealership.
We visited pretty much every dealership on Blackstone and Herndon in Fresno. We really weren't working with any particular dealer.

Why not step up and get the QX?

We looked at the same SUVs that you mentioned and it came down to the Sequioa Platinum and the QX. We could not handle the lack of luxury in the Sequoia and that mess of a dash.
We did look at the QX and I can't justify spending an addtl 10k on a fancy Armada. The 2008 QX has a $7k rebate but are very scarce in my area. The '09's are in stock but base price on a '09 is right around $60k and I don't think there are any rebates on them.

I think I am done with Nissan/Infiniti. I really like the Sequoia especially the ride. It has rear independant suspension and the difference is night and day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.