Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have solar panels for your home? I'm very interested in getting panels for my home but am debating on whether to do the PPA or buy it. My basic understanding is with the PPA, you just pay a monthly payment based on the your system produces. When you buy it, your paying the monthly payment for the loan but you also get the 30% tax credit. Now you don't get that 30% until you file your taxes the next year correct? I guess most people will put that money back into the solar payments.

If any of you guys have any advice, I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I would guess warranty would make a difference. With a ppa the solar company is responsible for maintaining it. If you buy it, and have a problem, what kind of warranty would you have?

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Since my daily driver is an electric car that gets charged at home almost every night, I've also been considering putting solar in at my house. I know that when I looked at it a few years ago, the break even point (assuming an electric bill of about $150/month, more in the summer, less in the winter) was around 15 to 17 years. That just didn't seem to make financial sense to me. I'm guessing, however, that technologies (and hopefully prices) have changed since then to make the financial benefits more apparent.

Keith

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
This can be complicated because there are so many variables..

I've looked into getting solar and, for me, the cost / benefit isn't there to do it. (my town has it's own town owned utilities and fairly cheap rates) A friend of mine put in a full solar system and he paid for it up front. I think it was in the mid $20,000s minus various rebates and incentives, including the federal tax rebate, got him down into the teens. He's had the system about a year and loves it. I believe his local electric bill ends up being about $0 per year with him drawing sometimes and selling other times. I think he said it will take about 7 or 8 years before he breaks even - and then he'll start saving money. I gotta wonder how long the system is supposed to last and how outdated it'll be in 8 years.

He also said that, maybe in response to increased solar usage in general, his local electric Co. increased the fee just to be connected to the grid. Those guys are going to get paid somehow. I am waiting to see if the cost comes down, the technology makes some big jump, and/or for some cost effective electricity storage options for cloudy days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts