Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I purchased a pre-owned Armada Platinum recently, and have found the map info sorely lacking. After a little research, we found a map update on the Nissan Owners Portal, so I ordered it. We just received it, and the instructions call for replacing the old map SD card with the new one that came with the updated maps. The problem is, the instructions say the SD card slot is in the center console, but darned if I can find it. Anyone done this update? I could sure use some info. I'll take it to the dealer if that's the only route, but I'd like to figure it out on my own. TIA.

Well, I finally figured it out. After an hour on the phone with Nissan support, we found the pesky SD card slot. There were four possible locations, only two of which I could find online (inside the center console or beside the DVD slot...no dice) The third was on the back of the front row console...nope.
The fourth was to the left of the steering wheel column, in the same block as the headlight adjustment and power door switch. On the right side of that panel was what looked like a cutout for an optional switch, with a blank switch plate installed. It turns out that is a cover that you pry open (easy with a fingernail). The card is labeled behind it. Literally a two minute job. I’ll try to attach a pic. Hope this saves someone else a trip to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Thanks for the info! Hopefully that will be handy for someone else running into the same issue.

How's the update? I know with my vehicles that have GPS, it is quite disappointing. I pretty much never use the onboard GPS except for sometimes showing the map. Otherwise I pretty much always rely on my smartphone. I think my next vehicle will need to have CarPlay/Android Auto in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The update seems to be at least a slight improvement, though we haven’t really put it through it’s paces yet. We’re taking a road trip next Saturday, so I’ll know more after that. I don’t have super high hopes. The lack of Apple Car Play is a huge oversight. The Navi system is my only real disappointment with the Armada.

·
Administrator
6,188 Posts
The Navi system is old and that’s the gripe of many people who purchase this car. The newer models have a better audio system interface but the map / Navi is mostly the same. The map update just updates the roads and such , and if you are in an area that has lots of road construction, this may benefit, but if you are in an area that does not get much activity on that front its kinda a waste.

I get the updated every year because i want the latest update—sometimes nissan will add some features (and also take some away ).

I currently use amazons echo system for the car and I’m pleased with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll likely update each year as well. I’m curious about using some of the third party map vendors I’ve seen online, not sure how compatible they are.
I haven’t looked into the Amazon Echo for the car...but I will now!

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I currently use amazons echo system for the car and I’m pleased with it.
I'm too lazy to search and can do so if you don't have time, but what does the Amazon Echo system for a car offer? Do you have to have a certain model year to use it or it is available on most/all vehicles?

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Administrator
6,188 Posts
You can only use the HERE maps for nissan, unless they changed it for the later model years.

As for amazon echo, it’s like having Alexa in your car. It’s a small item that connect to your phones hotspot and can be Bluetooth to the head unit or wired 3.5mm connection.

It’s an “invite only” thing at the moment, but other people have used an echo dot to achieve similar functionality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I purchased a pre-owned Armada Platinum recently, and have found the map info sorely lacking. After a little research, we found a map update on the Nissan Owners Portal, so I ordered it. We just received it, and the instructions call for replacing the old map SD card with the new one that came with the updated maps. The problem is, the instructions say the SD card slot is in the center console, but darned if I can find it. Anyone done this update? I could sure use some info. I'll take it to the dealer if that's the only route, but I'd like to figure it out on my own. TIA.

Well, I finally figured it out. After an hour on the phone with Nissan support, we found the pesky SD card slot. There were four possible locations, only two of which I could find online (inside the center console or beside the DVD slot...no dice) The third was on the back of the front row console...nope.
The fourth was to the left of the steering wheel column, in the same block as the headlight adjustment and power door switch. On the right side of that panel was what looked like a cutout for an optional switch, with a blank switch plate installed. It turns out that is a cover that you pry open (easy with a fingernail). The card is labeled behind it. Literally a two minute job. I’ll try to attach a pic. Hope this saves someone else a trip to the dealer. View attachment 47748
Thought I was going blind; couldn't find "the slot" in the dashboard console, center console, backseat... After a number of Google searches, up pops your most fortuitous entry. Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts

The fourth was to the left of the steering wheel column, in the same block as the headlight adjustment and power door switch. On the right side of that panel was what looked like a cutout for an optional switch, with a blank switch plate installed. It turns out that is a cover that you pry open (easy with a fingernail). The card is labeled behind it. Literally a two minute job. I’ll try to attach a pic. Hope this saves someone else a trip to the dealer.
Thank you as I search for 4 hours until I found this. Most helpful and than you as this is exactly where my vehicle card is located, thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you, I’ve been thinking about map updates and this will certainly be a time saver. I’ll look online for the update, I assume we need to order from Nissan, yes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you, I’ve been thinking about map updates and this will certainly be a time saver. I’ll look online for the update, I assume we need to order from Nissan, yes?
Go to the Nissan website and order. $129 plus free shipping when I ordered this week. Pricing is good through end of June or July, do not remember.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts