Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never owned any Nissan before. Only owned Fords for the last 20+ years but just happened upon an ‘08 Armada while looking for a replacement for my ‘02 RAnger that died. Wanted something I could carry my bikes inside with. I’m already eyeballing some mods/changes and have already learned so much from this forum. Things I’m looking into right off the bat:

Some form of lift (not sure how much yet)

Adding Bluetooth and digital music capabilities - was so excited to finally upgrade the head unit in my Ranger just a year or two ago to include Bluetooth and USB FLAC capabilities. Will be hard going back. Researching to see what I can do now and what my upgrade options are

Repair a non-working rear DVD player

Diagnose and repair a popping noise from the rear AC unit whenever it turns or or switches from heat.

Just playing learning how this car all works! Lots of new things to know.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,023 Posts
hello and welcome.

there are a few sub forums on this site you should explore to give you ideas on what others have done prior. lots of info to unpack, but you're at the right place!

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I have a 2007 and although I've had some issues (cracked manifolds, key lost pairing to truck and would not start, brake judder, cracked radiator, rear pinion seal, ac performance, front sway bar bushings, front shocks, lost motor mount bolt, gas struts on rear glass, rear exhaust rusted off, fading cowl/running boards, auto folding mirrors failed, front wheel hubs, parking brake, 3rd brake light, TPMS sensors) overall it has been a great truck in it's 140k miles.

The gas mileage is abysmal especially if you get larger wheels/tires (my lifetime average is 11.87 MPG), but I love the power, handling, looks, and room it provides.

I'm in love with my Armada...despite the issues that I've had.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
cracked manifolds, key lost pairing to truck and would not start, brake judder, cracked radiator, rear pinion seal, ac performance, front sway bar bushings, front shocks, lost motor mount bolt, gas struts on rear glass, rear exhaust rusted off, fading cowl/running boards, auto folding mirrors failed, front wheel hubs, parking brake, 3rd brake light, TPMS sensors
Holy crap! I thought I had some issues with my 2008!

But I do agree that overall this is a great vehicle. For mine being 10 years old and from the rust belt of New Jersey, it really hasn't been ridiculous in the amount of repairs I've done (it's much more ridiculous that a dealer was willing to sell it to me like that without disclosing any of it).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2007 and although I've had some issues (cracked manifolds, key lost pairing to truck and would not start, brake judder, cracked radiator, rear pinion seal, ac performance, front sway bar bushings, front shocks, lost motor mount bolt, gas struts on rear glass, rear exhaust rusted off, fading cowl/running boards, auto folding mirrors failed, front wheel hubs, parking brake, 3rd brake light, TPMS sensors) overall it has been a great truck in it's 140k miles.

The gas mileage is abysmal especially if you get larger wheels/tires (my lifetime average is 11.87 MPG), but I love the power, handling, looks, and room it provides.

I'm in love with my Armada...despite the issues that I've had.
Oh yeah, I forgot, the TPMS sensors aren’t working either. Previous owner just lived without it and says it’s either battery or sensors need replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Yea when I listed those out I was thinking “Is this such a great truck?” :)

I guess because I did a lot of the repairs myself it was less Impactful than if it were all out of pocket. The thing I’ve found about nissans is they have annoying problems that suck but usually don’t leave you stranded.

TPMS sensors are nothing but problems - I hate those things and only have an idiot light rather than useful info as I didn’t get the Nav screen.

Oh and I forgot ujoints on my list lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
replace the tpms's as the batteries are dead. shop around and any reputable tire shop can install and sync them.
Do I need to look for vehicle specific ones or are they a "type" that I can specify and search for directly? I'm hoping its something I can do much less than the $60 per tire amounts I see referenced on here. I don't think I can justify $240 just to restore the capability of knowing that SOME tire is low but not which one specifically..lol. There is definitely a price point where an aftermarket stem cap system would be more attractive. This is coming from someone who has never had a vehicle with TPMS so where it would be cool to have I've lived without it this long.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I've replaced my TPMS units at least twice in this thing and I currently have one that is not reporting in. I'm used to the light being on so I am not replacing them any further. You cannot just replace batteries. The whole unit gets replaced.

Personally, there are some basic mechanical things that I would have a look at before dropping money on audio, DVD player, etc.
Take it to a mechanic and have the exhaust manifolds inspected. They are known to crack. It is a costly repair if they are indeed cracked. (Around $3,000 if you go with OEM and labor)
Also have your radiator checked for leaks, particularly around the bottom. Plenty of Armada owners have had this issue, including myself.
Then I would consider upgrading the suspension with Bilstein struts.

At any rate, mechanical soundness would be my priority over "Nice to haves".
Take it to a trusted mechanic and just have him go over the entire thing.

spta97 mentioned several good checkpoints. I also had the brake judder (Corrected with new struts), just repaired my high-mount brake light yesterday, exhaust system was replaced long ago and I have replaced most of my gas struts on the engine hood, the tailgate and now I see that my rear glass struts are extremely weak.

I would also go to a Nissan dealer and have them check the vehicle against their recall/TSB list and make sure all recalls have been addressed.

·
Super Moderator
5,023 Posts
the TPMS system has been comforting to me and i would pay the money to get it repaired.

there are different brands. you can start by simply finding the part number from nissan directly (a dealer) then go online and look for it cheaper. you can also contact salvage yards or second hand locations like Craigslist.

you can view videos online of how to swap them out and if you have the equipment the go for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up my Armada today so now I’m officially in the club! One bit I wasn’t prepared for was that the owner only had one intelligent key fob (with attached emergency key) and no other keys. Looks like getting a second intelligent fob is pretty expensive plus I have to pay a locksmith to program it for me which sucks. Best I can find is $50 for an OEM fob. There are some aftermarket ones but I their reviews aren’t stellar. If anybody has advice in that area let me know. I was also slightly disappointed to learn that the power seats don’t have memory which I thought was standard and didn’t even think to check. Not the end of the world but after reading about it in the owners manual I was looking forward to it. Overall I’m still excited about my new (to me) car and can’t wait to get it all setup for myself and drive it some more.

This website has already been a HUGE resource for me as I’ve poured over TONS of threads and feel so much more knowledgeable this car than I did before. Thank you all for sharing so much information!

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I was also slightly disappointed to learn that the power seats don’t have memory which I thought was standard and didn’t even think to check.
Which model do you have? My 2007 LE has memory settings. You can tell by looking down on the drivers door just above the speaker that is in the door. If you have it, you will see three buttons labeled "Set", "1" and "2".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which model do you have? My 2007 LE has memory settings. You can tell by looking down on the drivers door just above the speaker that is in the door. If you have it, you will see three buttons labeled "Set", "1" and "2".
Yeah, I went looking for them there but there weren’t any. Also didn’t see the option in the menu where the seat moves back when you turn the car off.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
So what model do you have then? An SE?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So what model do you have then? An SE?
Oh shoot, sorry, I didn’t realize I hadn’t said it yet. Yes, it’s a 2008 SE with no Nav or Bluetooth but does have XM radio and rear DVD player (which doesn’t work, haven’t started diagnosing that yet). It has tow package, leather, and power seats and all. Only came with one key. I found a local locksmith that will sell and program me one for $120 which from my research sounds like a good deal. I think it’s all stock so far except for the fact that the air shocks were changed out for regular at some point. Heven’t yet gotten the full brain dump from the previous owner but we work in the same place so I’m still in contact with him.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
It has two package, leather, and power seats and all.
--snip--
I think it’s all stock so far except for the fact that the air shocks were changed out for regular at some point.
From my understanding, the SE only had air shocks if it came with the tow package. The stock SE would have regular springs/struts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From my understanding, the SE only had air shocks if it came with the tow package. The stock SE would have regular springs/struts.
Can’t tell if you are making fun or if my typo actually caused confusion. Yes, it has the tow package and not the “two” package...lol.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Can’t tell if you are making fun or if my typo actually caused confusion. Yes, it has the tow package and not the “two” package...lol.
I thought you meant it has 2 packages, leather and power seats. I didn't really think any further on why that actually doesn't make sense (which thinking about it now, totally does not make sense).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts