Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plugged my laptop into the auxillary jack to run a dvd through the Armada's sound system. All went well until I plugged in a power inverter into the power port and plugged the computer into the inverter. All I could hear was an intense static noise.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get rid of the noise while still being plugged into an inverter? Is there a special inverter? or is there some sort of filter that can be put on the auxillary jack cable?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
i think a pure sine wave inverter would fix that.....
and they are cheaper than ever
a 150 watt one will be about $125.00
well worth the price
and better for you electronics

greg

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
A much better power supply for a laptop in your car is a DC to DC converter. A inverter is very noisy, and it doesn't make much sense to convert the DC from your car to AC, then use a laptop AC power supply to convert the AC back to DC. I use the DC to DC converters on both my laptops. You can find one on eBay, cheaper than an inverter. Just make sure you get the proper one for your computer, and that it is a DC to DC unit, not an inverter. Most of the time they will be called a "Air/Auto Converter". Look here:

http://computers.listings.ebay.com/Laptop-Parts-Accessories_Adapters-Chargers-for-Laptops_W0QQfromZR4QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsacatZ31510QQsocmdZListingItemList

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Ron said:
I plugged my laptop into the auxillary jack to run a dvd through the Armada's sound system. All went well until I plugged in a power inverter into the power port and plugged the computer into the inverter. All I could hear was an intense static noise.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get rid of the noise while still being plugged into an inverter? Is there a special inverter? or is there some sort of filter that can be put on the auxillary jack cable?
FYI, I put a post up a few days ago concerning my AUX input: when I push the button (i.e., choose the AUX input), a buzzing noise is heard, if I turn it up, even with nothing plugged in...the stereo seems to be weak.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
arm58 said:
FYI, I put a post up a few days ago concerning my AUX input: when I push the button (i.e., choose the AUX input), a buzzing noise is heard, if I turn it up, even with nothing plugged in...the stereo seems to be weak.
It is weak. What do you want from a factory stereo. Never been a quality system ever put in a car in the history of man. BOSE is designed by Nissan and built by Panasonic. Basically, BOSE, which stinks anyway, just gets royalties for using their name. Sad. :(

As for fixing the problem, the DC to DC inverter is a good idea. ;)

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Just for kicks, have you tried to plug the power inverter in another outlet as far away from the stereo as possible (one of the rear outlets)? Maybe the power inverter is causing a magnetic disturbance around the stereo. If not, I think scr38 has a good suggestion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts