Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
There's no difference in mileage, my plugs were all good. As I've been researching, 12-13 mpg is common with these tires. Funny thing though, I've been getting 7-11 gas for awhile now and was getting 11.5-12 mpg. I decided to go back to getting Shell gas and I've been back up to 12.5-13 mpg for the last 4 fillups. Maybe they have different Winter mixes that affects our MPG's differently?? I know they all come from the same refineries here but I'm thinking their proprietary additive packs might make a difference afterall.

I would like to hear about the Iridiums though. Thay are supposed to be the very best.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Pops, the Iridium IX plugs are the "performance" plugs that NGK offers, similar to the Denso Iridium plugs. its a great alternative to the OEM laser platinum plugs thats recommended for our trucks since it cost less, but offers similar characteristics. only downside is some dealerships will try to claim that these plugs can void the warranty, which is nothing new and just a way for them to make $$$$.

but don't expect an increase in the HP dept; you might see gains in other engines that run hotter(high compression, supercharged, turbo, NO2 equipped) but hardly in our 5.6L engines. i've always used the Iridiums, either NGK or Denso in my other cars and all have similar results. noticeable are the quicker start-ups, slight improvement in mpg, and a cleaner burn on the plugs. i constantly inspect/change the plugs every 15k miles, and what i've noticed in the past, the Iridiums don't burn as fast as copper or platinum plugs. and will all know a cleaner plug will always burn more efficiently.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
So, just made a trip from Fairbanks to Anchorage this past week and noticed that once I got out of city driving my gas mileage went back up to 16.9mpg. Thats for the entire trip, down and back.

I also noticed that over the trip there was a 2.1 mile difference between Nav mileage and speedo miles. WTF Over?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
More confused than ever ...

I came here looking for information on spark plug recommendations (which appear to be the NGK Iridiums), but now I'm wondering if it's better to wait for the 105,000 service per the manual. I've got around 26,000 miles, but like most of you I'm pretty hands on and am always looking to make tweaks here and there. I pulled one of the plugs the other day and all seemed fine. I get around 12-13 in the city (which is about 95% of my driving) and the engine runs fine. So, if I'm right, it looks like changing the plugs won't do much but drain my wallet. Agreed?

Of course, Black Spyda had his post on "20 ways you waste money on your car" (http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10613&highlight=spark+plugs) and there it says, "If your engine doesn't "miss" -- skip a beat or make other odd noises -- don’t change the spark plugs or wires until the manufacturer says so."

(This may help those looking to go with NGK replacements ... http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/car_truck_suv/default.asp)

BTW, I'm not overly concerned about MPG or I'd have bought a Prius.

Chris

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Welcome to the Club!!! Yea, my MPG's are still the same so if you're still around 13mpg, it seems to me that it will likely make very little difference.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Are there any updates on MPG or issues that have happened while switching? I'm at 106k miles and I know I'm due for a spark plug change. I'm thinking of going with the NGK IX Iridium plugs.

any suggestions on these?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Man, so glad you resurrected this thread.....anybody else on this forum remember Pops? Any idea what happened to him, haven't seen him on here in a long time.....

OP, sorry if I hijack the thread.......

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
.anybody else on this forum remember Pops? Any idea what happened to him,
Yeah, we used to interact a fair bit. No clue where he went.

Are there any updates on MPG or issues that have happened while switching? I'm at 106k miles and I know I'm due for a spark plug change. I'm thinking of going with the NGK IX Iridium plugs.
I don't know that you will get any noticeable MPG improvements from any plugs, but those should be perfectly fine as long as they are recommended for your particular year vehicle. Just be sure to get them from a reputable source such as the link you show for AutoZone. Stay away from Ebay and Amazon vendors!

Here is where you can check to see which NGK's are prescribed for your vehicle:

·
Registered
2004 QX56
37 Posts
reviving an old post, but does anyone have experience with the bosch part # 8110 fine wire double platinum spark plugs? specs are almost identical to the OEM NGK platinum spark plugs. The bosch are half the price of the NGK.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
reviving an old post, but does anyone have experience with the bosch part # 8110 fine wire double platinum spark plugs? specs are almost identical to the OEM NGK platinum spark plugs. The bosch are half the price of the NGK.
Don't get Platium Plugs... if your are price conscious get these More Information for NGK 4469 NGK Irdium IX they are half life to the OEM plugs @ 50K

·
Super Moderator
5,969 Posts
what model car do you have?
id stick with NGK. if you have the second gen armada/qx id get the iridium.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Don't get Platium Plugs... if your are price conscious get these More Information for NGK 4469 NGK Irdium IX they are half life to the OEM plugs @ 50K
You can also go to nissanpartsdeal.com enter your VIN and get OEM part alternative for a good price. At least you'll know it's the right part.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
ordered some ngk 4469 off rockauto for 55 bucks shipped....used a 5% coupon code.
FYI... just finished installing the same plugs on both my 2013 (Three week ago) and my 2011 (Today) both are running like OEM plugs. Kept the old OEM ones(as backup) because they still look good after 107K+ miles.

Reactions: rrreyes

·
Registered
2004 QX56
37 Posts
FYI... just finished installing the same plugs on both my 2013 (Three week ago) and my 2011 (Today) both are running like OEM plugs. Kept the old OEM ones(as backup) because they still look good after 107+ miles.
Nice...Would they be ok in a 1st gen? I see they are recommended for the 2nd gen but no word on the 1st.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Nice...Would they be ok in a 1st gen? I see they are recommended for the 2nd gen but no word on the 1st.
That's what I have them on right now 1st Gen.

Reactions: rrreyes
21 - 40 of 41 Posts