Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the hwy (14) the other day and being in So Cal there is a lot of wind and I came across a stretch of cross wind that seem to almost SUCK the opposite side window from the seal :crikey: of course the wife was on the side where the glass was shaking and pulling; she started getting weird on me, but it did seem alittle odd that this was going on. Has anyone else experienced this? It's happened a couple times since the first but only at high winds and when the wind is blowing from Lt 2 rt or vice versa across the truck.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
:confused:

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I had that happen once. I think it was the wind blowing the window away from the seal.

The windows in mine don't seem to be attached very well. My driver's side rear window will slide back and forth a good 1" occasionally when I'm washing it. Also, has anyone noticed their front windows dropping like 4 inches before the motor "catches up" with them when rolling down? My rear windows don't do this...

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Front windows and wind noise

KLONDIKE_x5 said:
I was driving down the hwy (14) the other day and being in So Cal there is a lot of wind and I came across a stretch of cross wind that seem to almost SUCK the opposite side window from the seal :crikey: of course the wife was on the side where the glass was shaking and pulling; she started getting weird on me, but it did seem alittle odd that this was going on. Has anyone else experienced this? It's happened a couple times since the first but only at high winds and when the wind is blowing from Lt 2 rt or vice versa across the truck.

Most vehicles have a limit where the windows/door sill pulls away from the vehicle with a cross wind. Always up front. It's like the airplane wing effect, a curved surface creates an area of low pressure, so the high pressure on the inside is actually escaping out to equalize the pressures. Big curved windshield doesn't help. Used to be a big problem with any car that has the frameless windows (ie.. corvettes, iroc-z, etc). I drive a section of road to and from work in colorado near the foothills where 70 mph gusts are common everyday coming out of the canyons. With my beast, it has only happened on the driver's side (I drive both directions with similar gusts). I have yet to look into it as far as a fix. Anyone else out there found a fix yet?? I always have wondered why no auto manufacturer has improved the original door closure design since the 30's. Why is there no two latches on the door (top and bottom). I have the same question for home builders. I get the 70mph gusts at my house and both door corners leak heavy. Better stop ranting. Mess

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
totally unrelated to this thread but I thought I'd share.

This morning the county was mowing between the interstate and freeway, and as I past them, the mower through a pea sized rock through the vent window on the drivers side rear door (the solid pane). Luckily I'd already dropped off my daughter at daycare. Anyway after 20 minutes of sign language with the mower operator...no oblo english..I got his supervisors number. I haven't heard back from him yet but the quote to fix this little window is $185 OUCH. It's a 4x12 piece of glass? Thats more than it cost me to replace the front windshield of my 2000 xterra.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mess said:
Most vehicles have a limit where the windows/door sill pulls away from the vehicle with a cross wind. Always up front. It's like the airplane wing effect, a curved surface creates an area of low pressure, so the high pressure on the inside is actually escaping out to equalize the pressures. Big curved windshield doesn't help. Used to be a big problem with any car that has the frameless windows (ie.. corvettes, iroc-z, etc). I drive a section of road to and from work in colorado near the foothills where 70 mph gusts are common everyday coming out of the canyons. With my beast, it has only happened on the driver's side (I drive both directions with similar gusts). I have yet to look into it as far as a fix. Anyone else out there found a fix yet?? I always have wondered why no auto manufacturer has improved the original door closure design since the 30's. Why is there no two latches on the door (top and bottom). I have the same question for home builders. I get the 70mph gusts at my house and both door corners leak heavy. Better stop ranting. Mess
I really didn't think to ask if there was a fix for this issue but I will be all over my service manager when I talk to her again.
I would hate to be driving down the road and a piece of glass come flying off my truck :damn:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts