Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Armada
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team, with all the catalytic converters being stolen, and the news saying we should paint and engrave, well I did,. Couldn't find orange (sold out) so I used red (yes, they look like a pair of old school Chery Bomb glass packs!). High Heat Primer and Paint. Anyway, this is what I did to my Armada today...
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Orange

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
206 Posts
Team, with all the catalytic converters being stolen, and the news saying we should paint and engrave, well I did,. Couldn't find orange (sold out) so I used red (yes, they look like a pair of old school Chery Bomb glass packs!). High Heat Primer and Paint. Anyway, this is what I did to my Armada today... View attachment 51460
There’s no denying who those belong to…

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Armada
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used Rust-Oleum 2000 degree paint.. the term Tagged is graffiti slang for spray painting... I engraved my VIN number first, taped over it and sprayed the rest.. once dry, I removed the tape exposing my VIN number. Hope this make sense... I forgot to take pics of the process when the Armada was on my ramps... This was a "oh heck I might need to post this" pic. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Armada
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great job - how did you engrave them?

I wonder if this will stop would-be criminals though....they are not the sharpest pencils in the pack.
I have an inexpensive engraver I bought back in the day from sears... I would engrave my tools (ex-mechanic ). I think they are now mass-produced... Amazon sells them but I cant vouch for their performacne...https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Handheld-Electric-Engraver-Templates/dp/B075TXPWCK/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=Metal+Engraver&qid=1651248020&sr=8-10 ... its not an arc welder sig but I hope it serves as a deterrent.. thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Team, with all the catalytic converters being stolen, and the news saying we should paint and engrave, well I did,. Couldn't find orange (sold out) so I used red (yes, they look like a pair of old school Chery Bomb glass packs!). High Heat Primer and Paint. Anyway, this is what I did to my Armada today... View attachment 51460
I think that won't deter a thief, in fact they look more attractive 🤔. I believe that if they didn't know where they located now they do even in the dark. 😆

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
The good thing is, Nissan's primary and secondary cat-coverters aren't worth much when compared to Honda, Acura, Toyota and Lexus. It's probably why they're notorious for the P0420/P0430 DTCs because it's not as well made when compared to some of the other manufacturers I've mentioned.

When I replaced the OE manifolds and b-pipes on my QX80, I found a legit online company who I was able to sell the parts to. I had to provide a valid ID, cut off the excess tubing and ship out the (4) pieces. After postage, I netted almost $400.

My uncle had to replace the exhaust manifold on his 2005 Toyota Camry; a P0420 DTC. He contacted the same company and because it was a Toyota, he netted just about $400... for that (1) cat-converter.

Reactions: Ken Spring

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think it's a good idea, anything to maybe make a thief think twice and pick another car. Just park near a Prius or something with a more valuable cat. In my city some people have been making cages for their cats out of rebar and welding them in.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Armada
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it's a good idea, anything to maybe make a thief think twice and pick another car. Just park near a Prius or something with a more valuable cat. In my city some people have been making cages for their cats out of rebar and welding them in.
I agree, also, it's only half painted.. the other half facing the under body is not. Our city and the local news media are selling the spraying and engraving as the lesser invested alternative... and the recycling centers have been advised NOT to accept any painted and engraved converters... Parking near a Prius or Tundra is a great option as well!

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
@primoV8 I had the JBA/Cajun upgrade done a few years ago and the OEM piping has been sitting in my attic.
I was planning on throwing it out but would go through the hassle of shipping to net a few hundred.

Would you mind sharing the company info?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Of course. The contact info: [email protected]
Tom is very honest as the market prices fluctuates and Nissan isn’t as valuable. But at the end of the day, nothing wrong with some $$ back in the pocket for junk laying around.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Of course. The contact info: [email protected]
Tom is very honest as the market prices fluctuates and Nissan isn’t as valuable. But at the end of the day, nothing wrong with some $$ back in the pocket for junk laying around.
Thanks! I’ll see what he has to say.

@primoV8 I just realized I may have the primary cats available, but I'm assuming that's it.

Sorry for being lazy but my attic is crawl-height and a PITA to get to these. Can you confirm if the price you got were just for the pre-cats which were deleted as part of the JBA header/b-pipe install?

In other words, on a regular install just the pre-cats are removed, correct? And you either are not running primary cats or purchased different ones?

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Armada
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree, also, it's only half painted.. the other half facing the under body is not. Our city and the local news media are selling the spraying and engraving as the lesser invested alternative... and the recycling centers have been advised NOT to accept any painted and engraved converters... Parking near a Prius or Tundra is a great option as well!
Team, it worked!! I parked near a Tundra this am.. we walked into church together, we both left at the same time and sure enough, his cats were stolen! My red cherry bombs were still on the Armada! Not sure which one worked.. the Tundra or the paint... Maybe both! Just an fyi.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Team, it worked!! I parked near a Tundra this am.. we walked into church together, we both left at the same time and sure enough, his cats were stolen! My red cherry bombs were still on the Armada! Not sure which one worked.. the Tundra or the paint... Maybe both! Just an fyi.
Wow people are now stealing outside a church!!?!? WTH has this world come to....

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts

@primoV8 I just realized I may have the primary cats available, but I'm assuming that's it.

Sorry for being lazy but my attic is crawl-height and a PITA to get to these. Can you confirm if the price you got were just for the pre-cats which were deleted as part of the JBA header/b-pipe install?

In other words, on a regular install just the pre-cats are removed, correct? And you either are not running primary cats or purchased different ones?

Appreciate the help!
The market prices fluctuate so best to reach out to them with the info needed. I had sent both pairs of the primary and secondary converters since I installed JBA LT headers and Cajun HM catted b-pipes.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
The market prices fluctuate so best to reach out to them with the info needed. I had sent both pairs of the primary and secondary converters since I installed JBA LT headers and Cajun HM catted b-pipes.
Thanks Primo. Upon further thought, I'm pretty sure I did the catted b-pipes as well.

I sent an email and waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
206 Posts
Wow people are now stealing outside a church!!?!? WTH has this world come to....
We have 4 “people movers” at our church - just small transit buses, maybe 20 passenger seats. We use them for short trips and parking lot shuttles. All four got hit, catalytic converters cut off and stolen…in the freakin church parking lot. We had to build a secure area to store them. There’s not much worse than a thief.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Armada
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have 4 “people movers” at our church - just small transit buses, maybe 20 passenger seats. We use them for short trips and parking lot shuttles. All four got hit, catalytic converters cut off and stolen…in the freakin church parking lot. We had to build a secure area to store them. There’s not much worse than a thief.
I get it... since the theft, I volunteered for parking lot duty during study between services... our elders now do parking lot duty during service... just as a deterrent ... sad times for sure...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts