Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Armada
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
They steal for inside parts from the Cat, not the case. Painting does nothing other than to deter few.
Thanks, from what I have seen, the cash in on the whole converter as seen in these pics, not dissected and gutted ones. Then, they are further broken down into the elements of value… Kind of like cashing in copper cable, are you required to strip the jacket off the cable and turn in only bare copper? Remove the paint from aluminum cans? as for me, my cat looks just like the ones below... but engraved with my vin and painted red to ID them as stolen (exactly what local law enforcement is looking for)... Ultimately, do what ever makes you happy...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Tread

Attachments

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Thanks, from what I have seen, the cash in on the whole converter as seen in these pics, not dissected and gutted ones. Then, they are further broken down into the elements of value… Kind of like cashing in copper cable, are you required to strip the jacket off the cable and turn in only bare copper? Remove the paint from aluminum cans? as for me, my cat looks just like the ones below... but engraved with my vin and painted red to ID them as stolen (exactly what local law enforcement is looking for)... Ultimately, do what ever makes you happy...
View attachment 51498

I agree, but I mentioned after learning form my neighbor's cat was stolen regardless of painted orange. Etching VIN helps.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I don't think painting will stop them initially, but if they run into problems reselling it may stop them from stealing the next painted one.

@Ken Spring - Where are you located that this is such an issue? I have heard about it but not seeing it as much by me (luckily)

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Armada
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I don't think painting will stop them initially, but if they run into problems reselling it may stop them from stealing the next painted one.

@Ken Spring - Where are you located that this is such an issue? I have heard about it but not seeing it as much by me (luckily)
Houston Texas
I used Rust-Oleum 2000 degree paint.. the term Tagged is graffiti slang for spray painting... I engraved my VIN number first, taped over it and sprayed the rest.. once dry, I removed the tape exposing my VIN number. Hope this make sense... I forgot to take pics of the process when the Armada was on my ramps... This was a "oh heck I might need to post this" pic. Thanks
Team, with all the catalytic converters being stolen, and the news saying we should paint and engrave, well I did,. Couldn't find orange (sold out) so I used red (yes, they look like a pair of old school Chery Bomb glass packs!). High Heat Primer and Paint. Anyway, this is what I did to my Armada today... View attachment 51460
After a couple of weeks, this is what the cats look like.. would you buy these?? Lol.. enjoy..

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
206 Posts
Oh man - Huston was one of my potential retirement places.
There is no way I'd retire in Houston. 30 miles outside of town, yes - but there are better places in TX. Find a good clean lake in TX and you'll be set.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
There is no way I'd retire in Houston. 30 miles outside of town, yes - but there are better places in TX. Find a good clean lake in TX and you'll be set.
Thanks - I'm many years away but want to find some place where I can go out on my back deck and fire off some rounds for target practice without going to jail :)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts