Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started hearing an intermittent squeak from the overhead console - coming from between the vents and the stereo controls above the second row after having the car for 1 day. I was going to go to the dealer to ask them to check it out, but I'm fairly handy. Figured I should give this one a shot before messing with dealers. Anyone removed this center console before. Just wanted to ask on procedure before I tackled it myself. I see 4 black screws just begging me to remove them.

-Jim

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
jechambe said:
I started hearing an intermittent squeak from the overhead console - coming from between the vents and the stereo controls above the second row after having the car for 1 day. I was going to go to the dealer to ask them to check it out, but I'm fairly handy. Figured I should give this one a shot before messing with dealers. Anyone removed this center console before. Just wanted to ask on procedure before I tackled it myself. I see 4 black screws just begging me to remove them.

-Jim
You're on the right track. If you remove the 4 screws, there are a few clips holding the entire console up. Just pull down on it.
There's a TSB that replaces a small bracket with a huge one to eliminate the shaking and rattling. I basically just tightened all the screws down and my DVD doesn't make any noises anymore. The last thing I wanted was for my incompetent Nissan Dealer to do any thing more complicated than tightening a screw. The TSB involves riveting and drilling. Most dealers have not performed this TSB yet and I certainly didn't want to be their first.

Have fun with Armada. It's a great SUV!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Can you make the front of the console move up and down a 1/4" or so? If so try pushing pretty hard up on the corners of the console next to the controls. There are two clips there that takes a good effort to seat.

If you take down the console remove the four screws and then grab the very back and pull down. There are two good clips there, once those are unseated just work your way to the front contols.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed squeek and here is how. pics included

Okay, The squeak is apparently from a metal on plastic rubbing condition or plastic on plastic. I figure with the added weight of the DVD controls/screen it causes the entire center console to vibrate when driving.

As stated above the entire console is supported by 4 screws and several points that snap into the mounts in the ceiling.

I first did what I called the "squeak test"

By pushing up in this area repeatedly, I could recreate the squeaking noise that I heard while driving over bumps.

Removing the center console by first removing the 4 screws (I used a 10mm socket instead of a philips screwdriver) then pulling from the rear working forward, it was clear what was making the noise. Any time you have metal contacting hard plastic or plastic on plastic they can make noise if vibrating enough. So out comes the electrical tape.

First was the front most mounting points in the ceiling shown here circled in yellow.

There is a metal tab that inserts into these holes and could cause noise. so i place electrical tape on both sides, making sure the tape goes inside the hole making a barrier.

Next is the plug that fits in this hole on the console portion. This is a picture of the bare plug. There is a metal bracket shown later that goes over this.

since there is a metal bracket on a plastic stud here I insulated the contact area with electrical tape.

repeat this same process for two more tabs like this in the rear portion of the console.

the rear ceiling mounting points are in their own pockets in the headliner.
here is a before/after pic.

Next area which I believe is really causing the squeak is the tabs near the vents in the center console.

again, place tape in between any area where there might be rubbing of plastic/plastic or plastic/metal

tabs in ceiling here.

tabs in ceiling taped.

these are the tabs in the console that squeeze in to the tabs in the ceiling.

All together, there are 4 of these points in the front portion and 2 in the rear.

After taping everything, I then carefully replaced the center console and popped everything back in.

After 2 days of field testing (hitting every rough spot in the road) I can now confirm that this got rid of any notion of a squeek. Hope this helps someone with the same problem. Its fairly easy to fix and knowing dealers, would never do this much. most likely they would spray some grease and hope if fixes the noise.

-Jim

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Excellent Smithers!!!!!

Best post yet. Very informative. You may want to think about working for the Nissan squeek and rattle department. Better visuals than the official TSB's. I would also agree that most dealers look for the quick fix. I was told to silicone the window seals to allow smoother operation.....funny,, ha...ha.... nice fix Nissan. Keep up the excellent work!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Jim,
Great post ! I'm going to try out what you did. If you start having rattling noises come from the door, there's a lot of us still trying figure that one out.

You look pretty good with photoshop too.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to put that together. Great post.

I've tried a couple different materials with the metal tabs but they either wouldn't stay put, were too bulky, or just didn't work. I used adhesive backed foam, tried weather stripping, and duct tape. I'll go back in with electrical tape.

I wish Nissan had just put in two screws instead of those clips and I think we all would be much happier.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry I haven't checked back since I posted it...been busy prepping my other toy for the track. Hope this post helps someone else. After a few days, still nothing but golden silence from up there so looks like its working well. The tape won't move since its wedged between everything once installed.

If I hear a rattle in the door, I will get right on it and let you guys know.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
After reading this, I decided to take mine apart and address the squeaking issue as well. I think I have narrowed it down EXACTLY to what it is. I believe it's the two metal clips that are just behind the DVD controls. They are mounted on plastic legs that are supposed to snap into place on two little brackets that are bolted on the roof. What I found is that both of these clips won't stay seated and keep popping down, causing a metal to metal rubbing. I removed the clips and no more sound. You can't tell that they are gone, and I don't think they were ever functional in the first place (at least in my vehicle), since they keep popping down. If anyone has this problem, try removing those two little clips and see if this corrects it. I'd be interested to find out.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry, pictures were down for a while

I switched servers and the pics didn't get transfered. I put them back up for anyone needing to check it out.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
This is great. My dealer has had mine off twice now. It is getting worse each time. I am looking forward to doing this over the weekend. Thanks for the post. :excellent

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Did it this morning and it worked great. one down 6 more to go..

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Wow, Jim.... Great post. I was searching the forum as to how to relieve the overhead DVD center console noise issue and I found this..... Very informative. By the way, does this fix take care of the vibration issue?

Thanks again for the info...

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
blkjack said:
Wow, Jim.... Great post. I was searching the forum as to how to relieve the overhead DVD center console noise issue and I found this..... Very informative. By the way, does this fix take care of the vibration issue?

Thanks again for the info...
You may not have the TSB roof bracket. I had it added to my 04 and it still shook some so I added a couple of self tapping bolts and achored it just in front of the vents. It's rock solid now.

On a side not if someone is having a squeeking problem coming from the overhead first verify it's not from the passenger seat. I took overhead down for about the 50th, 51st and 52nd time last week tring to figure out what the hell was squeeking now then I figured out its the passenger seat making the noise...which I have yet to figure out where exactly and how to shut it up. Its queit with someone in it but sounds like a couple of horney crickets empty.:(

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
llajumpvid,
Can post pics or describe in more detail "couple of self tapping bolts and achored it just in front of the vents"
My dealer has already replaced the whole consle twice and the clips still pop out and rattles.
You solution sounds good,
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
llajumpvid said:
You may not have the TSB roof bracket. I had it added to my 04 and it still shook some so I added a couple of self tapping bolts and achored it just in front of the vents. It's rock solid now.

On a side not if someone is having a squeeking problem coming from the overhead first verify it's not from the passenger seat. I took overhead down for about the 50th, 51st and 52nd time last week tring to figure out what the hell was squeeking now then I figured out its the passenger seat making the noise...which I have yet to figure out where exactly and how to shut it up. Its queit with someone in it but sounds like a couple of horney crickets empty.:(
Thanks for the info regarding the TSB roof bracket. I'm unsure as to whether to go to the dealer with this or not. Or can I get the roof bracket, if available, and install it myself?

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
blkjack said:
Thanks for the info regarding the TSB roof bracket. I'm unsure as to whether to go to the dealer with this or not. Or can I get the roof bracket, if available, and install it myself?
You need the dealer to do it as it takes special tools.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts