Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the intermittent starting issue with my 04 for years now but now all I get is a click. Everything else works but when I try to start I just get a click. I did take out the starter relay then nothing happens so do you think it is starter or could the relay not be sending the voltage it needs to engage and spin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I'm getting the same symptoms on my 2011 Platinum. I'll get a "click" , sometimes two then starts right up. It's a possibility that the relay is faulty. I need to investigate more once I'm done with the other Armada projects I have. Could be the ignition switch too.

I have had the intermittent starting issue with my 04 for years now but now all I get is a click. Everything else works but when I try to start I just get a click. I did take out the starter relay then nothing happens so do you think it is starter or could the relay not be sending the voltage it needs to engage and spin?

Looks like others in the past had same problems. Intermitent no start/crank
But nothing was resolved. I'm wondering also if the bad grounding system on these beasts is affecting startering. I'll have to tackle this next.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Check that fuse block that hangs from the positive battery post, at least rule out a easy cheap fix. Mine broke in half almost but still made contact most times. and then randomly i would have starting issues or no power at all unless i wiggled it around. Replaced from like $15 or something. It was the metal terminal cap where it meets the fuse block area that broke.
Around that bolt post almost is where it broke and barley made contact most of the time.
<------fuse block

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Check that fuse block that hangs from the positive battery post, at least rule out a easy cheap fix. Mine broke in half almost but still made contact most times. and then randomly i would have starting issues or no power at all unless i wiggled it around. Replaced from like $15 or something. It was the metal terminal cap where it meets the fuse block area that broke. View attachment 49864 Around that bolt post almost is where it broke and barley made contact most of the time. View attachment 49866 <------fuse block
Thanks for this info... I will definitely take a look at this (y)(y)(y)

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check that fuse block that hangs from the positive battery post, at least rule out a easy cheap fix. Mine broke in half almost but still made contact most times. and then randomly i would have starting issues or no power at all unless i wiggled it around. Replaced from like $15 or something. It was the metal terminal cap where it meets the fuse block area that broke. View attachment 49864 Around that bolt post almost is where it broke and barley made contact most of the time. View attachment 49866 QUOTE]

Mine looks to be intact. Everything works on the truck except when trying to start I get a click now and the engine will not turn over. I am thinking starter. Thank you for the input.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Let us know when you finally get your starting issue resolved. It's alot of work replacing a starter.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
No worries just thought it was worth a look. All my stuff would work 98% of the time but not enough to turn starter. And then had about 2 times where everything died.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Hope all this will help out the OP with his starting issue. I just checked out my positive post and they were corroded. I cleaned it up with baking soda and water. Gonna replace these cheap OEM battery posts with solid lead ones. Definitely all these little things are keeping me busy on my weekends. But all is good for the sustainment of the Beasts

·
Registered
5 Posts

I’m having the same issue as well but only it recently started happening my 08 takes a little longer to start up in the mornings now but my check engine came up I know that it is my caster valve which will be replaced but I don’t think it’s only that I might have a bad battery. If you try starting your car and you only hear clicking noises (say this fast) Tick tick tick tick tick then I think you should check out the battery before taking it to any mechanic. Drive up to autozone take the battery with you and get it checked out 👍, I’m visiting my mechanic Monday anyways so I don’t care the car needs a basic check up anyways.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I’m having the same issue as well but only it recently started happening my 08 takes a little longer to start up in the mornings now but my check engine came up I know that it is my caster valve which will be replaced but I don’t think it’s only that I might have a bad battery. If you try starting your car and you only hear clicking noises (say this fast) Tick tick tick tick tick then I think you should check out the battery before taking it to any mechanic. Drive up to autozone take the battery with you and get it checked out 👍, I’m visiting my mechanic Monday anyways so I don’t care the car needs a basic check up anyways.
Your right about the Ticking sound... That is a sound of a dead battery. The sound that I get on my Armada with it's intermittent No Start... is a single "Click" and if you hold it in the ON position long enough ( which you shouldn't) you can hear a hum. I would release... and try to start again and usually it will fire right up, sometimes it take two or three attempts.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your right about the Ticking sound... That is a sound of a dead battery. The sound that I get on my Armada with it's intermittent No Start... is a single "Click" and if you hold it in the ON position long enough ( which you shouldn't) you can hear a hum. I would release... and try to start again and usually it will fire right up, sometimes it take two or three attempts.
That is what mine did until Tuesday. Now all I get is click.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
That is what mine did until Tuesday. Now all I get is click.

Start with the easier to reach stuff first: starter relay, ignition relays and battery. They could be worn due to constant intermittent cycles.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2013 does this every so often. I take the key out, try again and nothing.. the last time I took out key, locked the car, unlocked it and tried again fired right up. Was wondering if this may have something to do with it?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
My 2013 does this every so often. I take the key out, try again and nothing.. the last time I took out key, locked the car, unlocked it and tried again fired right up. Was wondering if this may have something to do with it?
Is your 2013 equip with intelligent key? Reason I ask is my starting issue is with my 2011 w/intelligent key. Just this weekend I cleaned my + POS post and changed out the OEM +POS to a more SOLID LEAD POST. and it really help with starting. Not say this was the real issue. But I've notice a big difference in the starting /cranking power NOW. I think it help with my battery charging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is your 2013 equip with intelligent key? Reason I ask is my starting issue is with my 2011 w/intelligent key. Just this weekend I cleaned my + POS post and changed out the OEM +POS to a more SOLID LEAD POST. and it really help with starting. Not say this was the real issue. But I've notice a big difference in the starting /cranking power NOW. I think it help with my battery charging.
No intelligent key, I've got brand new optima battery that when engine is on charges a secondary battery in back. Terminals are good. Cleaned stock frame ground. Thinking of tryin the starter relay next. Anyway, car is in my dads shop been working on headers on and off for two weeks lol. Golly, kicking my ass but down to the last bolt.

·
Super Moderator
5,874 Posts
brand new optima battery that when engine is on charges a secondary battery in back.

just joining this discussion at this point..

the car's charging system is quite conservative, and does not output enough current to keep the main battery fully charged ,much less another one. this may also be an issue.

there is a thread stickied that speaks about this you should read up on.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Lets hope the OP has resolved his starting issue too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts