Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else was having as much of a problem with wind as I am. While driving anywhere over about 55 MPH, wind gusts tend to steer for me. When I'm on the highway going about 65 MPH and it's fairly windy, I have to jerk pretty hard in the opposing direction of the gust, else I'm tossed into the other lane of traffic/shoulder. My Blazer wasn't anywhere near this bad... Never driven another full-sized though. Is this typical for such a big vehicle? I'd figure the weight would help keep it going foreward.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Same thing

We also have a sway issue, but not just when it is windy. When it is windy, you can feel the sway and pull really badly. The Armada seems to shimy or sway at freeway speeds. Brought it in to check, but the tech said he was "unable to duplicate the problem". He never even drove it at freeway speeds. He said due to the weather (it was raining), I would need to bring it back in during better weather. I read that another person was having this problem and it was something to do with the alignment and steering column. :confused: I am taking the Armada in on Monday to get the brakes done again, :mad: (#3 at 6700 miles) and I will also have them check out the sway issue.... no rain expected for a while.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
MUCH better than my previous Expedition! It's a big slab sided truck..... what do you expect, repeal the laws of Physics? ; )

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Topaz has it right. A vehicle with as much side-facing mass as the Armada is going to be prone to crosswinds. This will be true of ANY large vehicle, even one that weighs over 8,000 lbs. such as our beloved Armadas.

I will say this - the 4wd system on the Armada is awesome. On Saturday Dec 18th I drove from Toronto to Fort Wayne, Indiana, and made most of the trip in 4 HIGH. I thought the roads were wet, so I kept cruise right around 70mph for a couple of hours. Right around Flint, MI there was an accident and I had to slow down - it was then that I realized the road that I thought was "wet" was actually solid ice. :eek: I had been doing 70mph on black ice, and never even knew it. The Armada feels like it's on rails when on ice - it's incredible.

Despite my newfound trust in the 4wd system, I continued my trip at a calmer 40 mph, as self-preservation is a quality that I do have! ;)

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am thuroughly regretting not getting 4wd.. I have TERRIBLE traction on wet roads, I slide all over the place. I can't imagine how she would drive on ice. I've been having a lot of problems with my tires, though, so that might have something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
A 2wd Armada?! Oh the humanity!!! :eek:

I suppose in Texas you don't really need it... although I've heard of snow in DFW recently. What part of TX are you in?

One more thing I found interesting - there seem to be audible cues when you're on a slippery surface in a 4wd Armada. When you put the transfer case in "4 HIGH" on dry pavement, there is a bit of a growl, and it seems to oscillate back and forth from front to rear. It's not loud, or annoying (no TSB necessary!), but it's there. However, once you hit ice or snow - it goes away, and things get VERY quiet beneath you. So be aware - when your 4wd system is engaged - and very quiet - use caution!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in central Texas, we get snow for 1/2 a day to 2 days a year, lol. Would still be nice to have for when I take her off roadin... 2wd only gets you so far.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I have to disagree a bit

While the "repeal the laws of physics" answer was funny...I don't think that's actually exactly what's at play here. While I too feel the truck getting pushed by wind...I think the bigger issue is that I go down the highway making corrections left to right to left to stay headed in a straight line.

While I did notice this issue when the truck was stock, with the addition of my 20's it has gotten worse. Also, I note it more on slippery surfaces (even in rain).

I like the truck but this is a little irritating. We are going to take a trip later in the year and I think we'll opt for our 3.5SE Altima instead.

If I could get more comfortable in the driver's seat and if this sway thing wasn't an issue, I would say the Armada is just about perfect. Hmmmm.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
It IS the laws of Physics. The moving vehicle in a straight line on a smooth non-crowned road on a still day with a steering system that has little play( unlike my previous Expedition): has little force to deflect it from it's path. Add a strong cross wind: this vector of force will deflect ANY moving object; (ask a trained military or FBI sniper about shooting in the wind). THis is largely related to the surface area relative to the direction of the wind. A corvette will have less reaction than a 15 pass van... a semi is more affected. Other factors come into play, including spring rates, suspension compliance, weight, the boost and intrinsic "stiction" or weight of the steering rack etc. For practical purposes, the cross sectional area is the big factor for a vehicle in the wind.
I believe your large mass wheels aggrevate your complaint. When moving, You have 4 BIG, Heavy flywheels that want to maintain the motion, direction and inertia that they are proceding in.. Big crosswind comes along, deflects the car's intended path and it take more force to correct the cars path. This is also why Dubs slow acceleration and prolong braking distances AND upset handling.... You always have to overcome the extra rotational mass. There is no free lunch!!
I just finished taking two 900 mile drives in windy winter weather. Did the car move around in the wind? Sure did. Was it as bad as the same trip to visit relatives done in the Expo? Not even close. I'd suggest you get an alignment done, and I'd try a windy trip without the dubs.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Okay

Sorry, the last post from me came across a little wrong. Let me restate...I agree that physics relative to the size of the sides of the vehicle DO impact this "sway" that we're discussing. I found your post funny...like as in amusing...didn't intend to take a shot at you, merely expressing that I enjoyed your sense of humor.

However, I think there is a steering ISSUE which is only compounded by the size issue (and my 20's).

Interesting update: I rented a new Expedition for the last 4 days...and found that it was very impacted by the wind, too. I have to admit...driving that Expedition makes my Armada feel that much BETTER. Guess I will just live with the minor issues...no vehicle is perfect.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
The Armada's sterring feel is very good, not German sports car good,; but good. I'd encourage you to get an alignment if you don't think it feels right. Your response was not taken as a slam... I just wanted to educate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
TopazM3
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing