Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,

This week two of my door lock started acting up. These two door sometimes lock and sometimes don't, sometimes they end up getting stuck in the locked position and sometimes in the unlocked position. The motors are driving the door locks, but is seems like the locks need lubrication. When the door locks get stuck in either position I have to manually engage/disengage them using the manual switch on the door, and when I do moving to that other position is quite difficult.

The last time I had to lubricate car door locks about twenty years ago, and all the doors had external key holes. Does anyone know if there is a specific procedure that should be followed on these keyless doors to lubricate the mechanics of these Armada locks?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Unfortunately, the door lock actuator is likely starting to seize. It happened to my QX80 a couple months ago, on the rear driver side door. Same scenario as yours where manually moving the lock/unlock lever got to a point where it wouldn’t even open the door.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Usually, you can hear when the actuators are locking/unlocking the doors. In my case, there was barely any noise at all.
There are a couple sellers on eBay who recondition these actuators and warranty them. I almost went that route but decided to just go new from Infiniti. I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of having to remove everything again if that reconditioned part would fail again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know about the current models, but prior qx56 I just sprayed the external parts full of silicone spray and manually moved them back and forth a lot. Did that two times about 4 years ago and haven't had any problems since then. So IMO, it's not the actuator, it's the external friction in the moving part. There is a cable that goes from the actuator to the actual lock. A ball broke on two of mine, so I had the pleasant experience of taking all that apart. Actually pretty easy job.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I have removed the two offending door lock actuators and successfully replaced them (hint: remove the external door handle to install the top portion on the second row doors).

Next problem. The rear door actuator is operating in reverse. Lock is unlock and unlock is lock. Is there a way to get this actuator to function the correct way?

unlocked (but pressing the lock button:

Locked (but pressing the unlock button):

thanks
me

·
Registered
70 Posts
So, I have removed the two offending door lock actuators and successfully replaced them (hint: remove the external door handle to install the top portion on the second row doors).

Next problem. The rear door actuator is operating in reverse. Lock is unlock and unlock is lock. Is there a way to get this actuator to function the correct way?

unlocked (but pressing the lock button:

Locked (but pressing the unlock button):
And believe it or not, I had exactly the same problem. They changed the pin-outs somewhere. It all looked the same. Was a bit P that I had to redo and reorder. I had to get another one that fixed that issue. It was a year older I think that worked.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grr… this is the second part out of three that rockauto sent me this week that doesn’t work as intended for my truck… time for another return I guess. Frustrating.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
@bigj6360, on this particular part, I would’ve stuck with Nissan OEM. The reconditioned actuators are usually hit or miss.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Look at this way, you’re still saving some $$ since this isn’t too difficult of a DIY fix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts