Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum, I have heard / read about the Brake problem in the Armada and the bad response from The Nissan Has any one tried the Stillen Brake Rotors or the Big Brake they are selling?

the I'm thinking to get the 14" big brake system

here is the link

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
priceyyyy...Even we were thinking about getting the b.b.k. from stillen, but with the new brake fix, everything seems to be fine...what's ur Armada's built date? Most of '05s have the brake problem fixed, and you could get it fixed in the '04 model (my dad has one) from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
uaesands said:
I'm new to the forum, I have heard / read about the Brake problem in the Armada and the bad response from The Nissan Has any one tried the Stillen Brake Rotors or the Big Brake they are selling?

the I'm thinking to get the 14" big brake system
here is the link

Regards
Not sure what you read but it sounds again like you got the jist wrong. Don't worry, you aren't alone.
Yes, many have had bad brake rotors and pads.
However, this has still been the minority.
Yes, Nissan didn't fix them the next day.
However, they have addressed the problem, common to all makers, faster than I have ever seen a car company react before.
(Ex. It took Toyota 3 years, and 4 for tundra owners, to admit they had a brake problem, let alone start fixing brakes. Nissan had the fix out in less than 2.)

As for the stillen kit, I can't think of any reason for one. I have a massive brake kit for my vette. This is because I need one. I road race the thing in autocross events. The brakes heat up dramatically and soon you loose braking. Unless you plan on autocrossing your Armada, there is no need. The stock brakes are more than enough for street use and towing.

Here's the reality. The early brake parts had warping rotors. Some people had them, some didn't. The pads also dusted excessively. Nissan found this to be a problem a few months into production. They then went out and developed new pads and rotors that corrected the problem, tested them, and put them into production in May. Madas and Titans made after May have the new parts. The line has priority on the parts. Extras go to the dealers to replace existing owners parts. The extras are making it out, but they haven't reached a point where they have filled all the requests yet. As a result, not everyone has had the new parts yet. Nissan is turning the rotors, which corrects the problem temporarily, which allows supply to catch up with demand.

Some people are cry babies, think a first year vehicle should be perfect (I defy anyone to name one that was) and are too impatient to wait for the new parts. They like to complain loudly, which makes the problem seem way out of control, when really it is more the crybabies that are out of control.
:moon:

Anyway, I am finally experiencing some squeeks from the brakes at 8K. I will delay getting them done until I can find them in stock so I only need to go once.

Besides this, it is a great truck. Better than every other one I've seen on the market and it has the highest customer satisfacton of all Full Size SUV and Titan the same for Trucks. JD Powers rated the '04 higher than the first year for every competitor for initial quality. The problem is fixed and solved.

The only legitimate gripe I've seen is usually easily fixed. People complain they get bad service. If this happens, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE and complain to Nissan that dealer X had poor service. I feel for the guy that has these problems in Alaska, with the next dealer more than 12 hours away, but not for someone in a major US city.

This isn't Nissan, this is Joe the service manager, who works at your local dealer you are mad at.

So I hope I haven't jumped all over you. I'm just tired of people posting "I've heard about this terrible tragedy Nissan calls brakes and how they basically beat you with a rubber hose if you question them" mentality I see posted daily here. It just isn't true but from reading some of the whiner's posts, it may seem this way.

Skip the stillens unless you want them for looks and stick with the stock stuff. ;)

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Cry-babies!

Yeah, what a bunch of cry babies! Can't you take the repeated visits to the dealer, four times to fix a single problem that should have been fixed in the first place? Drinking crappy coffee, putting up with idiots that should be a clerk at Wal-Mart, rather than a service writer? Waiting for hours for your $40k vehicle to be fixed, then being told that you get to do it all over again in 5,000 miles! Come on, quit ya whinin!!!! What do you think this is? You expect to enjoy your new vehicle? You don't think you should be helping Nissan with its quality control?????

I've been lurking around here for a while now, but this post, as well as a bunch more from this guy, have sent me over the edge. Triple Black, I'm very happy to hear that you haven't had any trouble with your Armada. But, that doesn't give you the right to call those of us that have had troubles cry babies. My previous vehicles (including Nissans) have not required near as many visits to the dealer as my Armada. My Honda has never gone back to the dealer in nearly 250,000 miles! I love my Armada, and still feel it is the best vehicle in the market. But, Nissan has not stepped up to the plate and taken care of its customers with respect to this brake issue. Whether the problem is the dealer or the manufacturer is irrelevant; they both have Nissan on the door.

For these reasons, I personally am pursuing a lemon law claim on my Armada. I encourage everybody else with problem 04's and 05's to do the same. Why should we have to put up with the crap they are giving us? The problem, once recognized, should have been fixed immediately, instead of this "three times temporary before you get the real fix" approach. Yeah, maybe Nissan would have had to slow down production for a few months to take care of their existing customers. So what! Instead, I have a vehicle that is a "Used Car to Avoid", I know every service monkey at my dealership by name, and I'm not putting up with it anymore.

Triple Black, I hope you don't have to go through what we have in order to keep your investment running well. I'm happy that you love your truck, and wish that I could as well.

I'm done now....

A very unhappy owner of a 04 Arlemonada.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Case in point. :rolleyes:
I will need to go in for brakes. But on purpose, I didn't buy an '04 as it was a first year vehicle. I knew there would be bugs from my Grand Cherokee experience and so I avoided them. Glad you had luck with your Honda. Each of the ones I've owned broke more than my Jeep, vette, and 3 mustangs I've owned combined. They were junk.

As for lemon, well, I can't attack personally but suffice it to say, I'd say its a wrong move if its just brakes. :censor: They fixed it, period.

It took less than 2 years. Fastest revision of a faulty design I've ever seen implemented. Took Toyota 3 years to even admit there was a problem (4 for tundra). :amazing:

Hope you have better luck with your next vehicle, but I doubt it. :bonvoyage

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I actually agree with both of you. There are a lot of people going overboard on the brake issue. It's not dangerous and it comes on slowly and you have time to get it fixed.
However, My '04 Armada is no Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Acura for sure.
I've had 4 LS400/LS430 in a row, Honda Accord, Toyota 4Runner, and even a Nissan pathfinder(older one)

All these vehicles were almost perfect. My 1991 LS400 is still running strong with 230k miles, no rattles, no cracking leather, strong smooth engine, and paint looks good.

My Armada has had the same amount of pampering.( 9 months old)
Fixed: brakes, A/C, DVD console
Pending: Power rear gate broken, front seat falling apart, plastic wheel well pieces falling off, rattles all over.

I still love my Armada and would not buy any other SUV(maybe QX56), but the problems are frustrating.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I agree with Andy in that both the so-called crybabies and satisfied customers are right. Let now all jump to conclusions that there are not more Armadas out there with bad brakes. My 2005 SE has not been fixed yet because Nissan does not make the replacement very easy for people with busy schedules. I for one, do not have the time to head to the dealership to fix every problem. Had my rotors rotated at 3,000 mi, and the problem returned at 6,300 miles. I just received a letter this last Saturday 9/3/05, from Nissan saying there was enough parts for all owners and I will not have to make two visits to get my brakes replaced (like I have time for one trip).

The Mada is an awesome SUV, lots of options on the base model, handles like a BMW 535 and power beyond my expectations. What was probably more frustrating to a lot of irate owners was how the whole issue was handled... how many times did you hear that the "fix" was ready?? How many people were told that the 2005's didn't have the same issue??

Once I have the brake fix (next week or so) I will be one of the satisfied customers - heck, I am at 7,000 and will have a brand new set of brakes (minus the calipers which have taken quite a beating with the massive shuttering). Especially when I will believe that this is the "real fix". Right?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Beyond the "Used Car to Avoid" label (who reads Consumer Reports anyway!!!LOL), I wonder how this will affect our resale. I for one would be leery of a car that was on its fourth set of brakes in 15,000 miles, despite what the owner tried to tell me.

Our Armada is awesome, definitely the best SUV in its class. But, I'd sure like to have an '06. Wish I'd waited.

Keith

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
JD Powers Says........ JD also said Enron was a great company! JD doesn't do anything! They only rate stuff based upon the level of money they have received to say the thing is great. JD's reliability and trust factors are slightly below that of the Gov't to the South of the U.S.

Other than that, I'll give the benefit of the doubt. Refer back to the phrase "all dealers are bad, just some are more bad than others".

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I bought a 2005 model new and was aware of the brake problems before I made my purchase. I even demanded that the salesman put it in writing that if I experienced problems I would be covered by the dealer...if, of course, he wanted to make the sale.

So it's now almost 3 years and 36K miles later, and I've already had 5 brake jobs. In my book, complaining about something as disgusting as this is pretty far from being a crybaby.

I'll be the first to admit...this is one of the nicest big SUVs out there...I love mine...but I'm completely at the end of my rope with this brake thing, so I'm finally starting to look into alternatives. And if I have to take a hit on some brakes that actually work, then so be it..it'll be cheaper than trading up.

So I'd like to know...this "fix"...did this actually help anyone. I was told after the first brake job that I had the new brakes (rotors, pads etc?..I don't know)
It didn't make a lick of a difference. Four months later my steering wheel was shaking and pulsating again.

I also don't know if later model trucks have this problem, but Nissan should be ashamed.

First, I bought an 04 350z...and it had a "tire feathering" problem. I ended up getting the BBB involved because I had the problem before Nissan would admit that their crappy engineering actually carried over to 04 models. Finally got rid of that thing.
Now I have another Nissan that has bad brakes every 5-6 thousand miles.

I would suggest to anyone looking at an Armada...if you want a really nice, big, comfortable, powerful, good looking truck...look no further...but if you have a full time job, your wife/husband work also, and you have a small child, and you can't afford to take the time to go to the dealer every 6-8 months or so...run as fast as you can. I, for one, will never buy another Nissan again...despite how much I like their product. These inherent issues, which they refuse to fix, have lost them a customer for life.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
^ That sucks, but I don't blame you. I won't lie, though my 2006 Armada isn't flawless.....the brakes have been wonderful. I have no crazy pulsations, warping or chatter. I tow a 5k lb boat just about every weekend, plus I have a travel trailer.......and not to mention, I tend to drive the Armada like it's a Corvette (while not towing). And again no probs.

I hope you don't take too much of a hit, as it's a terrible time to sell a truck/SUV. Good luck to you.

p.s. maybe it'll be cheaper just to buy the Stillen Big Brake Kit in the original post?!?! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts