Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local tire shop told me that stopping distances are increased with larger than stock rims. They said the rotors are not really made to handle larger rims and that it has been well documented in SUV's and Trucks. I've never heard this and I don't understand the logic here if the outside diameter of the tire is pretty much unchanged - thoughts?

· Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Larger diameter wheels put more weight to the outside of the wheel/tire assembly, therefore increasing the rotating mass. It does increase the load on the brakes, but I don't think you will see the difference unless you go to very large diameter/heavy wheels.

· Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Gh0sT said:
How about Foose Speedster IIs [ 22 x 10 ]
I don't think you will see much difference in braking. However several members (here and ClubTitan) have reported a decrease in acceleration performance with 22 and larger wheels. This is due to the increased rotating mass. Just as it takes more braking to stop a greater rotating mass, it takes more power to get it started rotating.

· Premium Member
18 Posts
scr38 said:
I don't think you will see much difference in braking. However several members (here and ClubTitan) have reported a decrease in acceleration performance with 22 and larger wheels. This is due to the increased rotating mass. Just as it takes more braking to stop a greater rotating mass, it takes more power to get it started rotating.
I figured, but what is bugging me is how much gas will I lose if I put 22 v 20s

· Premium Member
5,214 Posts
I don't think you will see much difference in mileage as long as the tire OD is the same.

· Premium Member
4,360 Posts
It will be longer. However, our SUV stops better than any other Full size. Stock, it stops better than an Accord. Couple extra feet won't be that bad. Its still gonna stop faster than an oddessy or Tahoe. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.