Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Armada Platinum 4x4 72k miles purchased new. about a month ago starting hearing a strange humming noise from the front of the vehicle. Noticed that when I turn the car to the right noise goes away. Suspected something with right from bearing or tire. Took it to Tire Kingdom. They call me and say you need $1200 in from brake repairs. They said that the noise is coming from the left front wheel and I have a seized caliper. They went on to say that I need new calipers, pads and rotors.

I picked up the car and took it to my regular mechanic. He said that the front pads were worn and that I needed to resurface the rotors, clean and lube the slide pins on the calipers and that that should do it.

Car brakes straight and true, $240. Still makes the same noise. Mechanic thinks well sounds like a right front bearing, but lets rotate the tires instead. No change in the noise. Well lets order a new front bearing. $300 installed.

Noise still there.

Gonna change the left side bearing today with the right side one that is in perfect shape.

Will post with a solution if I have one.

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
why not just take it direct to infiniti first? sounds like you are going down rabbit holes. i think it would be worth the 80 or so buck for the diag fee to find out the possibilities.. then come here looking or answers... :)

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Was your humming noise a vibration type noise? Almost like you were constantly driving over a bridge with expanded metal grating? That's the noise I am hearing but no one else seems to notice it. I have a 4WD 2010 Armada SE with 145k miles.

A few weeks back I heard a pop when turning 90 degrees left in a parking lot going maybe 10 mph. The pop was followed by some slapping noises but went away. I went another 1/4 mile slowly to see if I could pinpoint but did not hear anything again. Turned right onto a road and accelerated in the acceleration lane and heard a terrible metallic grinding noise. Pulled over to the shoulder, u-turned and went home (about 1/2 mile) but did not hear any further noises. Took it to local mechanic who of course could not reproduce the noise but only charged me $20 for the test drive and to put it on the lift to poke around.

I think its gotten progressively worse but maybe its just my imagination. I hear it at all speeds but its a little more pronounced at 50 mph or higher and gets louder if road veers left and quiets some when it veers right. I've been debating if it could be the transmission or differential so when going down a hill at 60mph I shifted into Neutral and I still hear the noise. Would that rule out either?

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Your symptoms are mixed up a bit. A popping noise while turning slowly is likely front steering or suspension related. Maybe CV axles or something like that. (A lot of Armada owners have front end popping noises they can't explain)

A constant noise while driving (that is getting worse) could be brakes, wheel bearings, drive shaft u-joints or maybe the differential. Something rotational and or speed dependent.

If a competent mechanic couldn't reproduce it or see anything wrong on a lift I'd move away from suspension/steering and more towards an intermittent hidden problem - which could be the wheel bearings, u-joints, front diff. Just have to make your best guess and then start checking item by item. Resist throwing parts at it until you narrow it down.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Took me a while to get around to it. When weather cooperated, I was too busy but when I had time, the weather was under 20F or raining/snowing.

My guess is it was the the wheel hub assembly. Can’t say for sure because I changed the CV axle at the same time. One of the 2 fixed the noise.

Your symptoms are mixed up a bit. A popping noise while turning slowly is likely front steering or suspension related. Maybe CV axles or something like that. (A lot of Armada owners have front end popping noises they can't explain)

A constant noise while driving (that is getting worse) could be brakes, wheel bearings, drive shaft u-joints or maybe the differential. Something rotational and or speed dependent.

If a competent mechanic couldn't reproduce it or see anything wrong on a lift I'd move away from suspension/steering and more towards an intermittent hidden problem - which could be the wheel bearings, u-joints, front diff. Just have to make your best guess and then start checking item by item. Resist throwing parts at it until you narrow it down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was your humming noise a vibration type noise? Almost like you were constantly driving over a bridge with expanded metal grating? That's the noise I am hearing but no one else seems to notice it. I have a 4WD 2010 Armada SE with 145k miles.

A few weeks back I heard a pop when turning 90 degrees left in a parking lot going maybe 10 mph. The pop was followed by some slapping noises but went away. I went another 1/4 mile slowly to see if I could pinpoint but did not hear anything again. Turned right onto a road and accelerated in the acceleration lane and heard a terrible metallic grinding noise. Pulled over to the shoulder, u-turned and went home (about 1/2 mile) but did not hear any further noises. Took it to local mechanic who of course could not reproduce the noise but only charged me $20 for the test drive and to put it on the lift to poke around.

I think its gotten progressively worse but maybe its just my imagination. I hear it at all speeds but its a little more pronounced at 50 mph or higher and gets louder if road veers left and quiets some when it veers right. I've been debating if it could be the transmission or differential so when going down a hill at 60mph I shifted into Neutral and I still hear the noise. Would that rule out either?
Hi, wondering if you found out what the noise was?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts