Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids complain they can't hear the music in the 3rd seat. Just looking for suggestions to add speakers to the stock set up back there.

Can I just splice into the wires going to the 2nd seat speakers?? I'm not an audiophile (at all) so don't know how this would affect the stock set up.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
jameeler said:
You can if you do 8 ohm speakers. if you run the standard 4 ohm speaker you will burn up the factory amp.
That's the first time i heard that... speaker ohm rating is usually when the speaker is at rest. Once it's in motion, the ohm constantly change as it goes thru the motion. If you don't believe me then you can test it yourself. Get a hold of an ohm meter and attach it to the speaker terminals. Now push in and pull out the speaker and watch the ohm reading flactuate.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
yes there will always be ohm flux, however there are two standard ohm rating when it come to speakers. I am not an expert by no means but this is what I understand about the ohms and how it relates to audio.

the two basic ratings would be 8 ohm which is most common in home adio and 4 ohm which is most common in high end car audio.

ohm is the amount of resistance that a speaker puts on a amp. the lower the ohm the more resistance, conversly the lower the ohm, the more wattage an amp is forced to put out.

for example

a amp rated at 100 watts at 4 ohms will put out 100 watts at a 4 ohm load, 50 watts at a 8 ohm load, but 200 watts at 2 ohms. now while this isnt always exact you can get a good baseline idea how it works.

when wiring multiple speakers you can follow this rule.

two 8 ohm speakers ran parallel will result in a 4 ohm load but ran in series will result in 16 ohm load the, if the amp is rated a 4 ohms for 100 watts and you ran a 16 ohm load you would recognize about 1/4 of the rated power or 24 watts under using the amp.

now this is where it get crazy, the bose sytem in the armada is closer to two or three ohms.

you risk burning up the factory amp by adding additional ohm load unless you wire in series or add high ohm speaker in paralell. you may be better served adding small after market amp.

heres where i mounted mine.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jameeler, if you don't mind my asking... what brand of speaker are those and are you happy with them??

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
jameeler said:
ohm is the amount of resistance that a speaker puts on a amp. the lower the ohm the more resistance, conversly the lower the ohm, the more wattage an amp is forced to put out.
I highly agree on everything you said except for "the lower the ohm the more resistance," conversly the lower the ohm. Actually as you near zero or (lower) ohm that means less or zero resistance not more (higher). And i agree with the possibility of burning the Bose amp by adding another speaker thus making it see lower ohm especially by wiring it parallel.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
they are diamond d6 4.5" coaxials. they are great for the kids. nothing crazy. they are ran of of own amp and have separate volume controls

again, i am not an electrical engineer, but if you lower the ohm rating a speaker has, the more resistance the amplifer realizes, and the more heat or wattage it produces.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
uteman1011 said:
My kids complain they can't hear the music in the 3rd seat. Just looking for suggestions to add speakers to the stock set up back there.

Can I just splice into the wires going to the 2nd seat speakers?? I'm not an audiophile (at all) so don't know how this would affect the stock set up.
i installed 2 6x9 in the back gate and they sound great with a didicated amp for both of them.
http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2740&d=1155148723 and
http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2742&d=1155148956

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Just to clarify this........the lower the impedance rating of a speaker, the lower the resistance the amp will see. If you want to add additional speakers to the rear of your vehicle without adding an amp, just splice the new speakers in series with the existing ones to increase impedance not lower it. Most high end speakers are 4 ohms which means the amp will see a 8 ohm load. Higher impedance will not hurt an amp it will only reduce the volume. This is how a volume control works. Increase the impedance from 0 (full volume) towards infinity and the volume will continue to decrease. Low impedance becomes a problem for most amps unless they are class A or some class AB because they are not stable at very low resistive loads and will burn up. If you are trying to add additinal speakers to a BOSE system, you need to get a special line level converter from a stereo store and will need to add a seperate amp to drive the speakers. BOSE systems have individual amps on each speaker and IMO are junk. I would recommend replacing the entire system.

Adding a seperate amp to drive speakers is very easy with a speaker to input level adapter available online or most car stereo stores.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
The 2011 platinum comes with speakers in the tailgate now

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide App

·
SHIFT_Moderator
2,187 Posts
Like Qaher, I put a pair of Alpine 6x9's in my back hatch and it cleared up the volume issue in the 3rd row!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts