Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have searched and search the forum and have yet to see the infamous Sun Roof Ticking thread! I have an '04 and have resolved most of the squeaks but this sun roof ticking I just can not figure out. The dealer already replaced the sun roof for a different problem and the ticking is still there! It tickes almost all the time, it is not a function of speed or road conditions. When it start I take the ticking for as long as I can then I slide the sun roof cover forward or back an inch or 2 and it stops for a couple of minutes then it starts again! To make it stop I slide the sun roof cover forward or back and inch or 2 and then it start again and again

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I know what you are going through! it took me a year to finally get it fixed. They replaced the shade and it went away for about a month then started to come back. I could shut it up by applying slight pressure up on it. What I did to fix it is apply a couple layers of cascade sound deading material on the top of the shade. If you tip up the sunroof you can but a 4 or 5 inch strip in at a time then just slide the shade enough to put another strip down. I put two layers which is probably overvill as the shade weighs about 4 pounds now but hasn't made a noise in almost a year now.

The cascade is a vinyl material so it won't have any smell.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I'm not the only one..

peterp1212 said:
OK, I have searched and search the forum and have yet to see the infamous Sun Roof Ticking thread! I have an '04 and have resolved most of the squeaks but this sun roof ticking I just can not figure out. The dealer already replaced the sun roof for a different problem and the ticking is still there! It tickes almost all the time, it is not a function of speed or road conditions. When it start I take the ticking for as long as I can then I slide the sun roof cover forward or back an inch or 2 and it stops for a couple of minutes then it starts again! To make it stop I slide the sun roof cover forward or back and inch or 2 and then it start again and again

Any help would be appreciated!
OMG!!! I'm not the only one. I posted about this a while back but no answers. For me the ticking only happens in a certain temp range. I have to set the AC in the 77-81ish degree range and it will tick. If it is cooler than that I don't think it ticks. That is why I could never duplicate it at the dealership. I started investigating the tick myself and found a broken piece of plastic (very small though) in the track on the right hand side, in the middle, just above passenger seat. I don't know if it is a design flaw or an installation problem that breaks that plastic clip. I have to continue to investigate. If I find something out, I will let you know. I have to get it fixed, it is my only rattle, but an annoying one.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
FL_Crushin said:
OMG!!! I'm not the only one. I posted about this a while back but no answers. For me the ticking only happens in a certain temp range. I have to set the AC in the 77-81ish degree range and it will tick. If it is cooler than that I don't think it ticks. That is why I could never duplicate it at the dealership. I started investigating the tick myself and found a broken piece of plastic (very small though) in the track on the right hand side, in the middle, just above passenger seat. I don't know if it is a design flaw or an installation problem that breaks that plastic clip. I have to continue to investigate. If I find something out, I will let you know. I have to get it fixed, it is my only rattle, but an annoying one.
Keep me in the loop. You described my problem exactly. Temp sensitive, push on something, its gone. etc. My only rattle also. I'm gonna try Universal Nissan and see if they can fix it. I'll let you know if they do. They have fixed everything so far perfectly. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I have an 04 that also has the moonroof sliding shade rattle. I stuffed some cardboard strips 1" x 6" around the perimeter. No more rattles at all. But No more operational Moonroof either.
Dealer tried to fix it 3 times.
The sound deadening thing sounds like a good idea. I'll give that a try.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Permanent fix. Not symptom fix.

andy said:
I have an 04 that also has the moonroof sliding shade rattle. I stuffed some cardboard strips 1" x 6" around the perimeter. No more rattles at all. But No more operational Moonroof either.
Dealer tried to fix it 3 times.
The sound deadening thing sounds like a good idea. I'll give that a try.
I've never been one for just addressing the symptoms. I need to know why the sucker is ticking in the first place and they need to fix that. Don't just want to ____-rig it. Guess that's the engineer in me.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
FL_Crushin said:
I've never been one for just addressing the symptoms. I need to know why the sucker is ticking in the first place and they need to fix that. Don't just want to ____-rig it. Guess that's the engineer in me.
After 3 trips to the sealer, I was going to caulk the damn shade in place. :teeth:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More on Sun Roof Ticking

Update! OK, I had some time so I thought I would do a little more investigating? After looking at the set up I removed the 2 pieces of plastic trim on the inside of the sun roof! I then removed the 4 screws holding the glass in place. I was attempting to get a better look at the inside shade! I then took off the 2 small white plastic bumper stops on the sun roof shade tracks. At this point I could close the sunroof shade all the way!. After looking a noticed that there is materials from the cloth headliner on the shade that seemed to be cut a little short and sticking straight uop instead of laying down. I thought I had figured out the problem, so I took some trusty vinyl tape (electrical tape) and taped the edge of the cloth all the way around the shade. I could not get to the very back of the shade, it is still between the roof and the headliner! I reassembled everything and guess what the ticking stopped BUT only for a couple of days now it is back!

I thought I would send out this update to everyone! I have not solved it yet but I have not given up either!!

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
The click on mine is on the passenger side on the glass or mechanism. If I hold the plastic piece over the mechanism, it stops. If I remove it, its still there, so its either the glass itself or the mechanism that holds it that is loose somewhere. The shade puts tension on this area, which also stops the ticking when I partially close it. I will investigate Friday, which is HID installation and tire rotation day. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Solved. Mine had a loose screw in the mechanism. A tech tightened it for me, eliminating the rattle. I also had a squeak in the roof console. Some felt tape killed that. Last the new driver's side seat frame made an occasional squeak. He greased that and its also gone. Now I have a rattle free SUV. Knock on wood. ;)

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Which dealer

92TripleBlack said:
Solved. Mine had a loose screw in the mechanism. A tech tightened it for me, eliminating the rattle. I also had a squeak in the roof console. Some felt tape killed that. Last the new driver's side seat frame made an occasional squeak. He greased that and its also gone. Now I have a rattle free SUV. Knock on wood. ;)
Which dealer did the work. Want to make sure they know how to fix it.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
FL_Crushin said:
Which dealer did the work. Want to make sure they know how to fix it.
I went to Universal. Their Chinese installer did the work. Check in with Frank, not Angie. She's clueless. He spent 2 hours getting some rattles out. Now its rattle free. Felt tape in the overhead for a squeak, sunroof, and seat frame squeak. That last one is from my big butt, which I guess is covered under Nissan's warranty. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
GLad to hear you are rattle free. That's been my only issue. I took out an old spl meter to measure noise in the Armada vs. Expedition/Accord/LS430/Sequoia/540i
I was surprised to find that the Armada at 60mph is second only to the Lexus LS430 in my measurements. This may explain why we hear every little rattle and squeak.

Do you know if the dealer had to remove the sliding cover to tighten the screw on the mechanism? Also, is the felt tape applied to the slide or the headliner?

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
andy said:
GLad to hear you are rattle free. That's been my only issue. I took out an old spl meter to measure noise in the Armada vs. Expedition/Accord/LS430/Sequoia/540i
I was surprised to find that the Armada at 60mph is second only to the Lexus LS430 in my measurements. This may explain why we hear every little rattle and squeak.

Do you know if the dealer had to remove the sliding cover to tighten the screw on the mechanism? Also, is the felt tape applied to the slide or the headliner?
No, the bolt was under a plastic cover on the passenger side edge of the sunroof.
The Felt tape was put on the plastic tabs that are jammed into the clips. ;)

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Tick, Tick, Tick

Well. At least I am not the only one with the infamous "ticking" sunroof! Closing the shade seems to work, but sometimes I like the light to shine in! What a downer! Interesting solutions (cardboard, tape, caulk); makes me wonder what the heck I paid for? :cool:

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Ticking Sunroof

CRL said:
Well. At least I am not the only one with the infamous "ticking" sunroof! Closing the shade seems to work, but sometimes I like the light to shine in! What a downer! Interesting solutions (cardboard, tape, caulk); makes me wonder what the heck I paid for? :cool:
I really don't know why anyone would jam some carboard into anything on the armada to fix a problem. Take it to the darn dealer. Let them fix it the right way. It is a warranty issue. :duh:

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I have the same annoying problem on mine, but it only rattles when the sunroof is tilted open. If it is closed or slid open, it doesn't rattle. Slight pressure on the glass or shade stops the rattle. Its so annoying sometimes I want to put my fist through it. I haven't had a whole lot of time to look into it. I need to have someone else drive the car so I can get my head in there and poke around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.