Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm adding a new lcd screen in my sunvisor. I have a the factory flip down monitor and factory dvd player. How can I hook up my new lcd screen to the factory dvd player so both screens play the same thing?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
You likely will need an video switcher with an amp as I suspect the factory DVD doesn't have enough power for two screens. You can try it out easy enough without buying the amp by tapping the video wires coming out of the factory DVD. There will be the video + and - wires that you will have to connect to. The wires are shown below.

The colors are B/W= black and white for neg and L = blue for positive.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so I'm gueesing the VTR +/- are under the DVD player. Can i just buy an RCA tip an attach the two wires to it? Should I solder them onto the +/- wires or can I just use a T - tap? And do u know how to wire the wires onto the RCA tip?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
armadapimp said:
Ok, so I'm gueesing the VTR +/- are under the DVD player. Can i just buy an RCA tip an attach the two wires to it? Should I solder them onto the +/- wires or can I just use a T - tap? And do u know how to wire the wires onto the RCA tip?
I think Radioshack should have something. If not just take a RCA cable cut off one set of the ends. You will likely have to solder some heavier gauge wire to the end as the RCA wires are pretty thin. Then just use a T-tap and tap the wires under the DVD. The easiest place is probably to pull the console off from around the shifter. You should see the appropriate wire group there I believe. I'm not positive the video wires go to the dash though. They may headout of the console to the roof from under one of the seats ?????
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
I did exactly what you are doing except I did a 5.6" swivel up and down right on top of the center dash where the junk holder is.
All I did was tap into VTR +/- with some 22 gauge wire, solder to an RCA jack.
Then plug into new LCD monitor. IT works okay. The OEM roof monitor got a little dimmer. You can get an amplifier from Monster Cable or there are a few others out there that will help keep both monitors the original brightness.

I just needed to see what the kids were looking at in the backseat. I have a tv tuner and I need to help them switch channels.

Where did you get the visor display from? I'll probably change mine to the visor as well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I got what you mean. I split open an RCA tip and saw how it hooks up. I got a Fahrenheit Video Signal Amplifier so it all should look good. I'll tell you how it looks on Saturday when I install it. Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
If the video splitter looks good, let me know. I need to do the same. I'm just to lazy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to let yall know that I put the new sun visor screen in the armada today and hooked up a Fahrenhiet Video Amplifier and everything is great. Perfect picture, sound everything. Thanks for your help!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
220 Posts
Can you post pics?

I wanted to do the same but I do not have a stock DVD system. Will that make it a harder or easier project?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
armadapimp said:
Just wanted to let yall know that I put the new sun visor screen in the armada today and hooked up a Fahrenhiet Video Amplifier and everything is great. Perfect picture, sound everything. Thanks for your help!
What brand and model Sun Visor display did you get. Also model # of Farenheit Video Amp?

Is the visor display a clip on. Does it fit okay? It seems like it would be kind of heavy and the visor would keep dropping down. ???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
165 Posts
andy said:
I did exactly what you are doing except I did a 5.6" swivel up and down right on top of the center dash where the junk holder is.
Wow! Do you happen to have pics? I wouldn't mind having that and also using it for a rear view, backup camera.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
220 Posts
bootyologist24 said:
Wow! Do you happen to have pics? I wouldn't mind having that and also using it for a rear view, backup camera.
I would like to see that also. My wife would like DVD but she never rides in the back seats.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Okay, I'll be honest here. I'm a little embarrassed. I bought a 5.6" LCD that included a swivel mount that had really sticky two sided tape on it. I removed the rubber mat and stuck it there(directly right on the dash plastic). The next day, I guess the sun heated up the top the dashboard up and as I accelerated, the whole display fell off and dropped right on the gear shift lever and the whole lcd got cracked and totalled. That's why I was asking about the sun visor LCD unit.

It cost me $70 on eBay. Oh well. Maybe I should have screwed it down. It actually was a good spot to put it because I could see what was on without turning my head too much. It's kind of where the Factory NAV would be but a few inches higher.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
220 Posts
Sorry that did not work. I want to see what the NAV casing looks like. I wonder if that part is interchangeable with that tray on top of the center console. Then just mount the monitor in that just as they have it for the NAV.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
AZARMADA said:
Sorry that did not work. I want to see what the NAV casing looks like. I wonder if that part is interchangeable with that tray on top of the center console. Then just mount the monitor in that just as they have it for the NAV.
It's been done numerous times. Look for Macflys threads, also there were some good ones on TT. Troutspinner did a good job on TT.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
245 Posts
anyone on Long Island want to do this for me?? will pay, feed and have plenty of cold beer...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
245 Posts
any updates/pics on this????
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top