Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
420 Posts
So I got my Bilstein struts back and put them on. Drivers side front clunks on every bump. Almost feels like small wheel hop going on. When I push down on the driver front there's only a slight noise but the passenger side makes no noise at all. I re-torqued the nuts to spec 22 ft/lbs and 99 ft/lbs. I also tightened down the tower strut nuts.

As far as performance the ride is fine and turning also. The movement when i push down is smooth.

Any ideas?

Does the orientation of the spring make any difference?

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
The only thing I can add is the blisteins have a very specific way to assemble in the instructions which differs from the factory IIRC.

The other thing, and again my memory is foggy from 10 years ago, is the rubber sleeve was at the bottom and it was oriented a specific way (I could be wrong so don’t quote me.

The other thought is perhaps it is something else like the anti sway bar bushings which are known to dry out.

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
420 Posts
So true story.

You actually need to have the bottom end of the spring facing outward or tire-ward.

Like this:

The guys that mounted it didn't have the lower eyelet of the shock lined up with the end of the spring.

A little Channellock force and now the clunk is gone.

Reactions: n8dogg

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
So true story.

You actually need to have the bottom end of the spring facing outward or tire-ward.

Like this:

The guys that mounted it didn't have the lower eyelet of the shock lined up with the end of the spring.

A little Channellock force and now the clunk is gone.
Yea that is to what I was referring. Glad you are back in business.

So you took the springs and shocks to a shop to have them swap the springs to the new ones?

I did it with the free autozone spring compressors. I seem to recall I had to use at least 2 or 3. Wasn't too bad but was a bit worried I would create a missile lol.

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
420 Posts
I started with the two screw type spring compressors but when one started to bend I chickened out at took it to meineke. They apparently also didn't know you had to have the bottom end lined up with the lower eyelet.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I started with the two screw type spring compressors but when one started to bend I chickened out at took it to meineke. They apparently also didn't know you had to have the bottom end lined up with the lower eyelet.

Same happened with me which is why I think I went with 3.

Better to be safe than sorry!

Glad it worked out but what a PITA of having to install, remove, install...

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
420 Posts
So everything is fine below 65mph but at 67mph the front right shakes like hell. I have it going into the shop Wednesday for a front end alignment so we'll see what they come up with.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Possible. Give them a call - they swapped out one of mine for free when It failed like after I hit a massive pothole.

I can imagine they would have no issues for a new shock.

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
420 Posts
Apparently, it was a tire out of balance. Even said I didn't need the alignment. I haven't picked it up yet but I'll take it out to check it myself shortly. They did say I needed new sway bar links and bushing but that wasn't part of the issue I was having.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Good - simple cheap fix. I replaced the bushings a while ago with aftermarket and they have lasted for over a decade (also shot some Green Grease in for good measure).

It's a simple job you can do yourself with the truck on the ground - just be careful not to cross thread like I did :rolleyes:. Threads are very fine. Oh and don't do it while it is freezing and snowing lol and rush because you can't feel your hands anymore.

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
420 Posts
I'm on it! Got it over 70 with no shaking so that's the main thing.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Excellent! How is the ride quality with the new shocks?

Let me know if you want me to dig up which bushings I used - Im sure it was the forum favorite but I seem to remember poly instead of rubber.

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
420 Posts
It's a bit stiffer but I'm only 300 miles in on them. I assume they will settle in over time.

I have Moog bushing (front and rear) and Moog re-greaseable links in my Amazon cart but haven't pulled the trigger yet. If there's something better I'd love to know about it.

My local Meineke charged me $171 dollars to swap my springs and then took more than a day to get them back to me. Even then I had to manhandle them into position. I think that was a rip-off, but I was pressed for time.

Took it to the local Meineke at the beach to look at the issue and had a completely different experience. Took less than 2 hours to tell me I had bad sway bar bushings and the tires were out of balance. Offered to do the bushings for $800 (WOW!) but then the lady said "since you did your own shocks and breaks you'll probably want to do that yourself for less than $50."

Super appreciate them being upfront about that and they didn't even give me the realignment I had brought it in for because I didn't need it. Walked away missing only $69 and a Armada that can at least hit 70 mph without shaking my family to death.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
It's a bit stiffer but I'm only 300 miles in on them. I assume they will settle in over time.

I have Moog bushing (front and rear) and Moog re-greaseable links in my Amazon cart but haven't pulled the trigger yet. If there's something better I'd love to know about it.

My local Meineke charged me $171 dollars to swap my springs and then took more than a day to get them back to me. Even then I had to manhandle them into position. I think that was a rip-off, but I was pressed for time.

Took it to the local Meineke at the beach to look at the issue and had a completely different experience. Took less than 2 hours to tell me I had bad sway bar bushings and the tires were out of balance. Offered to do the bushings for $800 (WOW!) but then the lady said "since you did your own shocks and breaks you'll probably want to do that yourself for less than $50."

Super appreciate them being upfront about that and they didn't even give me the realignment I had brought it in for because I didn't need it. Walked away missing only $69 and a Armada that can at least hit 70 mph without shaking my family to death.
Wow that place is a ripoff! I had a similar experience at Midas - they charged an arm and a leg to swap my muffler. I rarely go to chain mechanics now. But not only does it vary from store to store, but also mechanic to mechanic. I used to go to a Firestone shop way up in CT and they were awesome - I'm not up there anymore.

Ok so the bushings, I dug up the old thread here. Turns out I wanted to get the poly bushings but ended up getting the OEM bushings instead. They were redesigned to have the slit in the bottom corner rather than the back (I theorized this is to allow water to drain) but they have lasted MUCH longer (still ok now - knock on wood as I cross threaded one of the bolts).

In doing a quick google search, it seems that poly bushings have no give and can lead to a firmer ride but better handling. Rubber has more give for more comfort but perhaps less sharp handling. Whether this would be noticed is questionable on our trucks but I have always found my ride to be pretty rough so happy I ended up with OEM.

Not sure what the material is of the Moogs but Moog seems to have a really good rep. The OEM ones are cheap though (~<$10 each, here's a link; double check the PN but seems to be correct unless updated).

As stated before, I did not feel OEM had enough grease so I used Green Grease liberally in them and they have been quiet since I did it 9 years ago (though not sure if the bushings need replacement). I use the same grease on my lawn mower steering rack and other items which require a long lasting lube exposed to the elements.

PS, anti-sway bar bolt torque is 94 ft/lbs.

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
420 Posts
Pretty sure I have found my issue on the drivers side

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
420 Posts
This is the passenger side done properly. That hard rubber bushing is supposed to be under the spring cap. Not on top.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Thanks for that. I knew it didn’t look right but it’s been so long I wasn’t sure what exactly.

Was this the shop or you?

Good thing you found the issue.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts