Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well before I purchased my Armada I was seriously looking into buying an Escalade EXT, the power and handling was awesome but the interior was kinda crappy....and I kept hearing that an Escalade or Navigator no matter how nice they look they're still American SUV's that will break down sooner or later.

Most mechanics I spoke with said the life expectancy of an Escalade and Navigator are around 80K-90K miles before seeing MAJOR problems. Anyway I decided to go with Nissan and figured the engine will last forever, plus the truck is awesome. But this didn't stop all the board members on my Mustang forums from ragging on me and talking **** saying how can you pick a Nissan over an Escalade bla bla bla....

Well folks, today I fell in love with my Armada more and it looks like I'm getting the last laugh. My coworker has an 03-04 Escalade and didn't show up for work the other day, when I saw him this morning he said that his SUV broke down on him. Apparently the escalade runs its tranny fluid through the radiator as well, and some seal busted causing all of the tranny fluid to get sucked into the coolant and into his block. Anyway his transmission overheated and seized....his block/ lines/ heater/radiator/ other hoses are all filled with tranny fluid and need to be replaced as well. They say that the engine might not be damaged but everything else has to be replaced.....NOT only that, but they DID NOT give him a rental because they said they aren't sure if this will be covered under warranty and also charged him $180 bucks for the initial test drive and diagnosis.

So all you Armada people bitching and moaning about a squeak or rattle.....please shut the hell up and quit your crying. Nissan is busting it's ass to make us happy and fix these minor issues...plus I have never been charged any "Diagnostic fees" and have always been given a rental for anything I took my Armada in for. BTW, my friends Escalade has 40K miles on it, and the mechanics told him that they have seen this before...but don't know why or how it happens. NICE ANSWER GUYS! ;)

PS- At least they called him yesterday and said they will cover it under warranty now....I'm amazed they were able to figure that part out!! I mean I always thought "Drivetrain" meant Engine and Transmission!! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
My brother has a Escalade, and I sure would not trade my Armada for it!

Just for your info - Our Armadas also have a transmission cooler in the radiator.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehe...

scr38 said:
My brother has a Escalade, and I sure would not trade my Armada for it!

Just for your info - Our Armadas also have a transmission cooler in the radiator.
Yeah, but ours doesn't blow a seal at 40K miles ruining almost everything in the engine bay. lol :D

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
So all you Armada people bitching and moaning about a squeak or rattle.....please shut the hell up and quit your crying. Nissan is busting it's ass to make us happy and fix these minor issues..QUOTE said:
Dude, chill out. Regardless of what you're used to, many of us expect our cars to be rattle free. Armada is Nissan's top of the line and most expensive vehicle.
It is not unreasonable to expect a $40k+ SUV to be rattle free. $18k Hondas and Toyotas are built almost perfectly.

Are you sure Nissan is "busting their ass to make us happy?" How do you know that.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I can respect the frustration, that's for sure. It's no more than that- a lot of folks have had very annoying issues (take the cabin boom, for instance) along with everyone else's problems like the brakes.

In my own experience Nissan has done right by me. Permanent brakes are great- tomorrow she goes in for the window rattle fix. Hopefully all of us will have it "right" in the end.

Still beats an Explodition or Tahoe.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I owned a 2000 Yukon that had just about as many rattles. It did not have any brake issues or cabin boom. It did drop parts from the air conditioner pulley out the bottom of the vehicle doing 85 down the freeway with just 21,000 miles on it; battery cable rotted at 28,000 miles, front upholstery would not stay clipped under the seat. GMC could and would not fix the rattles in the rear door, front doors, and dash. Point is they all have issues. Nissan has fixed all my rattles to date and that just leaves the break issue. It is a $40,000 dollar vehicle but it is also a first year build not just a new version of an existing model but brand new. I think Nissan did a hell of a job!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I would have to agree with everyone. For Nissan addressing it's issues with the Armada, That's excellent! I can't say anything about mine. I have a 2005 LE that's only a month old and it has no problems yet. I am used to rattles because every other vehicle I owned rattled in the first 2 weeks or when I finally turned down the radio. I am very impressed with our family car and am planning on purchasing an SE 2 wheel drive in the next couple of months . I'm just waiting to see if there are any new colors for 2006. I would actually pay more for this vehicle. Anyway, I am very happy and glad that Nissan is trying to do their part in making things right. That's the way it should be. Also, thanks to everyone on this board for their helpful information from important issues to fixing up their Armadas. You guys and gals were a big help in my decision. Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Hey Gabe,

Welcome! I think the '05's are a bit more refined than the early builds. I bet the 06's should be damn near perfect. I wish they'd come out with a couple of other colors- that racing blue that the 350z's have is awesome.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
For those of us who do take our Armadas off road and insist on a 4x4 drivetrain, the Escalade 4x4 is simply not a viable option. It has no low range on the transfer case. Can't do anything serious with that kind of set up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts