Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CA,
Based on feedback from this forum I finally purchased the 4600’s from Shock Surplus for my 08 QX56. I got them for $195 and they arrived in 3 days w/free shipping.
Hopefully they will clean up the harsh ride from my original shocks with 119k miles on the front of my QX.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I'm sure you will notice a very nice difference. I have those as well.

Since you are above 100k miles, have you taken a look at your swaybar bushings? They are probably quite worn. You would be surprised how much a new set of those will also positively affect your ride/handling/steering. Go with the OEM's from the dealer. They are like $6 each.

Use blue Loctite on the bolts on re-install. Also start them by hand threading before cranking them down... they are easy to cross thread if you don't get them going in straight.

If yours look like the top left pic from my '07 Armada at 117k miles, then they are shot. New ones may also help with "clunking" noises up front from the swaybar knocking up against the frame if your bushings are way worn.

The bottom row of pics are the swaybar end links which I changed out at the same time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the great advice. I will pick a set up and report back on any observed improvements. Did you keep the original springs and did you need a front end alignment afterwards?
I'm sure you will notice a very nice difference. I have those as well.

Since you are above 100k miles, have you taken a look at your swaybar bushings? They are probably quite worn. You would be surprised how much a new set of those will also positively affect your ride/handling/steering. Go with the OEM's from the dealer. They are like $6 each.

Use blue Loctite on the bolts on re-install. Also start them by hand threading before cranking them down... they are easy to cross thread if you don't get them going in straight.

If yours look like the top left pic from my '07 Armada at 117k miles, then they are shot. New ones may also help with "clunking" noises up front from the swaybar knocking up against the frame if your bushings are way worn.

The bottom row of pics are the swaybar end links which I changed out at the same time.

View attachment 49186

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I personally had an alignment done after the struts were replaced.
My original springs swapped over to the new struts. If you got new springs, I would hang onto the old ones long enough to be sure you are satisfied with the install, then off to the junkyard with 'em.

Regarding the swaybar bushings... they are really easy to check. Just turn your wheels all the way out and look in from the front side of the tire with a flashlight. Or stick your phone in there and take a pic with the flash on.

Also, the reason I suggest the OEM bushings is that I know they have moved the slit from the flat portion (OEM on the '07) over to the corner as of a few years ago. As you can see in the below pic from the originals that I took off, having that slit on the flat and up against the frame was not the best design. Being on the corner is much better for wear and tear.

Reactions: Silver08QX56

·
Registered
118 Posts
Like mentioned above the shocks will help a ton. Paired with sway bar end links and new sway bar bushings you're sure to think you have a new ride. 👍🏻

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys I’ve checked the bushings and swaybar links and they look as if the may have been changed in the past, no issues there. Unfortunately my OE Springs have a bad case of the rots. I’ve ordered OEM Springs and strut mounts from my local Infiniti dealer and will be picking up tomorrow . I was really suprised that both springs had rot in the exact same spot(the bottom portion). I can only assume that the bottom of the spring( where they both cracked at) is a collection place for water.
Hopefully with the new factory coil springs and 4600s this thing should really drive a lot smoother.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts