Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rotating tires today. This will work out well for installation at the same time. ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
6k low beam HID headlights. Took 10 minutes to install each side. Used 3M double sided tape to attach the ballasts and they wired right up.

Things i noticed:
1. Red is + on the headlight wire, black is -
2. White is + on the Ballast wires, black is -
3. No directions so I had to test to find thsi out myself
4. In daylight, it isn't any more noticable than regular headlights
5. The alighment of driver's side headlight is off from the factory, or at least on mine. It is far more down and in than the passenger side and moreso than other vehicles I've owned, so I need to adjust it. I know going out and up means towards oncoming traffic so I need to be careful, but it is too much right now. I will adjust it about 2 degrees up and 5 degrees over.
6. The 6000k light is more blue than my infiniti. I might have gotten the 4300k light if I had known this. The bluer you get, the less light you have. Might look cool, but like larger and larger rims, they are less practical and useful.
7. Time to change the headlight high beams and fogs to silverstars to match.
8. Usable light was much better than the PIAA bulbs I had on the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Good upgrade worth the money.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ggeorgie said:
TB, How much$$$$$$$$$$$$? and do you recommend the 4300k? ;)
Most people get the 6000k or the 8000K
I would have preferred the 4300K I think as it is more white less blue. The blue of this is only slight. About as blue as eggshell is yellow. The 4300k is more like white paper white. The 8000K is the one everyone looks at and says now that's blue. Though I think I might have been more happy with the 4300k, I still like the 6000k and it is a big improvement. I think most people would prefer the 6000k over the 4300K color anyway. $255 shipped off ebay.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Attachments

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I am wondering how the HID bulbs will work with the existing reflectors? If the Armada was not designed for HID, won't the bulb size effect how efficient the HID will be? Also, if the HID lights are not approved by the DOT for the Armada will this bring up headaches at the Bi-annual car inspection process? I would hate to have to remove them every other year before my inspection.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I followed the directions on this guys site. I can't open it now which is weird. There is a flat horizontal plastic bracket that holds the headlights in place and the fender well screws too. On the bracket, there is a triangular flat space the ballast can rest on. I cleaned this off and used double sided tape to attach it to the tray. I used 3M tape, which is what makers use to attach emblems to cars with. I used this to stick my fender flares on my vette. I can put my body weight on those so I'm pretty confident they will hold the ballasts. I finished the install with a couple wire ties to make sure the wires wouldn't rattle around. ;)
http://titan.swankmonkey.com/hids/

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
crash4444 said:
I am wondering how the HID bulbs will work with the existing reflectors? If the Armada was not designed for HID, won't the bulb size effect how efficient the HID will be? Also, if the HID lights are not approved by the DOT for the Armada will this bring up headaches at the Bi-annual car inspection process? I would hate to have to remove them every other year before my inspection.
The HID works very well with the existing reflectors on the low beams. There is a diffuser just like in an HID housing for the low beams. They are just as bright, so I would say as efficient as my Infiniti. As for the inspection, it takes all of 10 minutes to swap both once you see how its done. 1 screw, and they plug in and out. Very simple.

BTW, no such thing as inspection in FL. ;)

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I just bought PIAA Extreme White bulbs, might have a great price on the low beams if I decide to go with the HID, I could still use the high beams, haven't decided what to do with the Fog Lights yet. PIAA does not have a bulb available yet that is OEM until mid January. You are all great at helping me spend my money on upgrades. :machinegu

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
aznwrr said:
Cool! Maybe the next person who does this mode can order the 4300k and you trade them for your 6000k.
Not a bad idea. If anyone's interested, post. ;)

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
OK, just liked the HID look to much, placed my order through Ebay and bought the same JDM kit with the 6000's. Can't wait to get it. :awesome:

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
crash4444 said:
You actually bring up an excellent point.
A true HID system is just that, a complete system of lens, reflector, and "bulb". The reflector and lens are precisely computer molded to work with an exact distance between light source and reflector focal plane. As long as the arc is at the same location as the filament of the OEM bulb, should be fine.
But even if it isn't, it should still cast out a much cleaner and brighter light pattern.
I've been in a Titan with an HID kit installed and it is much brighter and does help. Probably the most useful mod for a few hundeds bucks. I'd do it except I leased my Armada.
It looks great too with the Armada's big ole headlights.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.