Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance for this title on a first post.

I am stuck on the fence and torn between purchasing a "Mada", Sequoia, smaller Pathfinder or other GM product.

I read several post in this forum and I guess they have me a bit spooked. I realize there are probably many people out there with nothing but praise for the Mada and a forum like this can seems to present many of the problem issues. Most new cars tend to have some issues, but complaints about brakes and rattles on purchases with less than 5,000 miles has me concerned.

My sister has a Sequoia and no significant issues to date (18k miles). The problem is the Toyota exterior design just doesn't do it for me. Coupled with its inferior motor, I am just not excited about it.

An other buddy has a Suburban that puked a trans at 30k (probably due to towing), but now has 65k with no major issues and the original brakes!!!!

Provide me some insight or your thoughts please! I have a growing family (wife expecting this week) and I need to purchase something REAL soon.

Thank you.

Tinker

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I've had my share of problems but mostly non mechanical. Even with these problems I've had I wouldn't hesitate to buy another and probably will in the a year or two.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Nissan has worked out the bugs with this awesome vehicle. Get a late 05 or 06 and you won't regret it. We're at 6500 miles, and no remorse!

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
If you get an 06, you will not have any problems, well non of the early adopter problems anyway. Even though I have had to go thru the brake issue, rattles and a new tranny, I would still purchase another Mada. There is really nothing out there that compares.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I have driven them all, we have Suburbans, Yukons and Tahoes at work and I recently drove some distance in the Sequoia.

I bought the Armada...nuff said.

My observations:

The Sub is a nice big vehicle but it rides like a boat, and is sluggish compared to the Armada.

The 07 Tahoe is nice but smaller, not as good a tow rating and doesn't handle as well or as responsively.

The Seq is nice but tows much less and has less room inside. It has much less power as well.

Tinker said:
Sorry in advance for this title on a first post.

I am stuck on the fence and torn between purchasing a "Mada", Sequoia, smaller Pathfinder or other GM product.

I read several post in this forum and I guess they have me a bit spooked. I realize there are probably many people out there with nothing but praise for the Mada and a forum like this can seems to present many of the problem issues. Most new cars tend to have some issues, but complaints about brakes and rattles on purchases with less than 5,000 miles has me concerned.

My sister has a Sequoia and no significant issues to date (18k miles). The problem is the Toyota exterior design just doesn't do it for me. Coupled with its inferior motor, I am just not excited about it.

An other buddy has a Suburban that puked a trans at 30k (probably due to towing), but now has 65k with no major issues and the original brakes!!!!

Provide me some insight or your thoughts please! I have a growing family (wife expecting this week) and I need to purchase something REAL soon.

Thank you.

Tinker

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Buy the'Mada. You will have NO buyers remorse. It's the best vehicle I've owned or ever been in...hands down.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
If you can wait until the 07 Sequoia comes out, Toyota is coming out with an "5.6l Endurance like" 5.7L V8 next year that is supposed to be very comparable to Nissan's.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
If I had to do it again, I'd probably buy the Pathfinder. At the time I bought my Armada I needed the extra room and had need to tow a 6500lb trailer. Since then things have changed and between the gas and not needing such a large vehicle, I'm thinking of trading.

If you're in need of everything the Armada can do and don't mind 12mpg averages, go for it.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I just got back from a wonderful 400 mile scenic drive through southern Arizona. This truck is the best riding most powerful SUV, I have ever owned.

I happened to have my 58 year old mom with me. There were certain times I traveled on single lane highways, I was able to pass 2 semitrucks at one time, starting from 65 miles per hour, I would be at 100 or above by the time I passed the second truck.

I have 1,400 miles and have zero brake issues, despite attempting to replicate brake fade durring practice emergency stops I perform with all new vehicles I purchase. The stock brakes have great modulation, and if you happen to have a problem Nissan is more than aware of the fix. I even called Nissan just after I purchased the truck and told them I was having brake issues, just to see what their response was. They were quick to provide information on a fix and I give their customer service hot-line an A+ in terms of their knowledge of this truck.

I've owned 2 Nissan Crew Cabs, which were slow, uncomfortable and cramped truck. The new generation of Nissans, brings none of this to the table. With the redesign of Nissan, there was great attention to detail that was made to the trucks, the chassis, and in no uncertain terms the powerplant.

I highly suggest you test drive all others SUV's in this price range 35-50k before you settle on the Armada. Nothing comes close. The 4x4 system is flawless.

I picked up a loaded 2005, in January 2006, with every avaliable option, it is literally nearly as fast as my 350z durring normal accelerations. In fact the 350z does a quarter mile in 14.1 seconds, the Armada is barely 1 second slower. Trust me, you can load this truck up with 6 people and not notice any difference in acceleration, or gas mileage.

While I did only average about 15-16 miles per gallon, I was cruising at 95-100 miles per hour for long stretches of time. I have zero play in my steering wheel, the truck tracks in a precise manner, even on broken pavement and cruising at 100 miles per hour the truck was planted even at a 25 mile per hour sidewind. I had no problems with instability what so ever, all the way up to the speed limiter.

It's wonderful to get strange looks from people in Tahoes or Suburbans as they are going 90, in the fast lane and you come up behind them. First they'll try to accelerate, but as you flash your high beams and blast by them they look shocked.

There is NO lack of power at 90 mph. In fact I've not found a situation yet where this truck is lacking for power. It's much quicker than most of the cars on the road, in fact. I mean this nearly 6000 pound truck will take you 0-60 in 7 seconds. MY 350Z, was advertised 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, only 1.4 seconds slower, and that's with the clutch burning, to hell and a really good driver. Speaking of acceleration the exhaust tone on the Mada is awesome. You can hear a wonderful purr durring idle, it sounds great in traffic, but when you put your foot down, there's no holding back the massive torque this engine produces.

The sound system is wonderful, the best out of any car I've owned. I have the optional Sirius sat. radio, which works wonders. It's the neatest thing to see the names of the song, group, and channel.

The HVAC system works great. I highly recommend the GPS NAV system if you can afford it. It's wonderful to have the dual zone climate control displayed for your partner. There is no need to turn on the rear AC or heat, the front has more than enough power for two passengers. In fact even if this truck had no seperate rear AC/Heat, the front system is more than capable of cooling or heating the entire truck in a matter of minutes.

Often I have the temp set at 75 degrees while my mom, would want the air set at 69. Being able to see this in real time is a fantastic and another reason to spring for the Navigation system.

This car is a rock solid investment and beats anything coming out of detroit hands down. In terms of any Toyota, I drove them all. I drove trucks for 3 weeks before deciding on the Armada.

There's nothing made by Toyota that compares. They're trucks are underpowered, and have out-dated interiors.

The complaints you hear on this board are not universal by any means and represent a small percentage of owners. The brake issues have been fixed. Any truck is prone to rattle, in fact any car is, as well. If your truck did have a rattle, simply drop it off and have it fixed. It's that simple. However, I have no rattles at all.

I am one of the owners that routinely takes my truck on some serious 4x4 rock climbing expeditions. The 4x4 low ratio is excellent. This has done nothing to the truck to produce rattles, the alignment has stayed true, and the truck has been nothing but a pleasure to own.

The steel is thick. In fact here in Tucson we had a 20 minute Hail storm yesterday. I had not one dent, or paint chip. I'm very glad with my purchase.

There is not another company I would have ever considered buying a full size SUV from.

Hope this helps with your decision a bit.

Good luck,
Eric

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Mada V GM

I recently purchesed an 06 armada and am very pleased with it. We were in the same predicament, needing the size and towing capablilty. I still own a 99 Suburban and can tell you first hand the GM products will nickle and dime you to death. Let review... radiator, intake manifold gasket, water pump, transmission, coolant plastic intake cracked, and that just what I can remember offhand. We also looked at the Toyota but thought it was too refined for my hooligans. Best of luck. Mil

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Had the Titan and tons of problems. Wouldn't buy another full size Nissan but love their midsize and compact vehicles, very reliable, trouble free vehicles. I know many who have midsize or compacts and as me, don't have any problems. My trouble free Nissan 2000 Xterra was the first new model and my Pathy is the redesign. Both excellent vehicles and nothing like my trouble prone Titan. I had to ditch the Titan because it was so unreliable, I couldn't trust it to tow my camper. Armada doesn't have the driveline problems, but I still don't trust it after my experiences. The Armada is based off of the Titan, the only difference is the rear differential. That was another failure on my Titan. :rolleyes:

IMO, get the Pathy. It tows 6000 lbs has a lot of torque and Hp and ties my Titan in the 1/4 mile and 0 - 60 . Has a lot of room except for the 3rd seats. Cargo area can fit a Coleman Twin Air Mattress! Tons of cargo area.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the responses.

My second daughter was born yesterday, so it is imperative that I make a choice soon.

I am planning on visiting a Nissan dealer tomorrow and drive a few, hoping to come to a decision.

I really like both the Pathfinder and Mada, but with two car seats and the wife's need of space for strollers ect, I am leaning towards the Mada. The wife will be the primary driver and she indicated a greater comfort in driving the smaller Pathfinder. We both like the interior layout of the Pathfinder better, but trying to squeeze an additional passenger in the third row of the Pathfinder is a joke.

Thanks again and I will let you know the outcome.

Tinker

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
i have an 04 LE with 30K,,,,not one issue....great truck, roomy, carries a ton of cargo, powerful...will have this one for the long haul!!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still kicking the tires.

I drove; a new 06 Armada, 04 Armada with 30k, 05 Sequoia with 11k, and a 04 Sequoia with 44k.

Got to agree with all the prior posts concerning the Armada's engine/trans combo. Really gets up and goes, especially when compared to the competition. Though, all the plastic in the interior is a BIG turn off. I think they could eliminate a good portion of it. Are the center console or over head storage bins a source of rattles?

The NEW 06 already had some issues. The door ajar indicator stayed on no matter how many times the sales rep tried to close the door. Also on the test drive, the sales rep adjusted his seat and after a second it colapsed on him. He couldn't get it to stay set. FUNNY, but concerning.

The 04 Armada with miles was relatively rattle free, but had a wallow to it. As if it needed some front end work or new shocks? Passenger seat was making some strange moan / groans.

The 05 Sequoia was nice, but had a rattle in the A pillar that would not go away and would drive me nuts. Generally, both Sequoia's brakes were surprisingly soft and in order to get the same speed / performance out of it as the Armada, you would have to really flogg it.

Wife really likes the Armada. I really like its exterior, but dislike the interior. We also drove the Pathfinder, but the wife came to the conclusion it was too small for our needs, especially after she sat in the second row seats of the Armada with all that room.

I am going to take a ride in the 07 Tahoe to get an idea how they compare.

Tinker

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Love My Mada

I have had my loaded Mada since July 2005. I have been very happy with it and have had no regrets about purchasing it. My passengers have been equally impressed with its on and off road abilities. My 3 kids love how much room they have and the DVD player.

I too, debated between the Mada and the Pathfinder, but I own my own business and having a gross vehicle weight of over 6000 pounds made the Mada a better deal even though the purchase price was more expensive than the Pathfinder. (I have a great tax attorney who I consult before I make any large purchases.)

The Mada has plenty of power. I am not big on a wood dash, so the plastic does not bother me too much. I have had a few minor problems with my Mada, but nothing mechanical and the dealer has been great about taking care of me.

The Toyotas seemed kind of dull to me and lacked the power I like.

The Mada is not perfect, but I love mine and I have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I have nearly 6000 miles on my '06 Mada LE. We had two squeak/rattle issues that was fixed by the dealer within the first month. The truck has been great. My wife likes all the room it has, I like the fact that it can tow 9100lbs. The gas mileage is a weak point, but that is the price of admission to get the Mada's great powertrain.

We looked briefly at the Sequoia when shopping trucks. It was significantly smaller in the 3rd row, did not have dual front A/C, and cost nearly 48K w/out all the features the Mada has.

I am a long time Toyota guy, but the Mada won me over. I am very pleased with our truck.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Door Ajar indicator

Tinker said:
Still kicking the tires.

I drove; a new 06 Armada, 04 Armada with 30k, 05 Sequoia with 11k, and a 04 Sequoia with 44k.

Got to agree with all the prior posts concerning the Armada's engine/trans combo. Really gets up and goes, especially when compared to the competition. Though, all the plastic in the interior is a BIG turn off. I think they could eliminate a good portion of it. Are the center console or over head storage bins a source of rattles?

The NEW 06 already had some issues. The door ajar indicator stayed on no matter how many times the sales rep tried to close the door. Also on the test drive, the sales rep adjusted his seat and after a second it colapsed on him. He couldn't get it to stay set. FUNNY, but concerning.

The 04 Armada with miles was relatively rattle free, but had a wallow to it. As if it needed some front end work or new shocks? Passenger seat was making some strange moan / groans.

The 05 Sequoia was nice, but had a rattle in the A pillar that would not go away and would drive me nuts. Generally, both Sequoia's brakes were surprisingly soft and in order to get the same speed / performance out of it as the Armada, you would have to really flogg it.

Wife really likes the Armada. I really like its exterior, but dislike the interior. We also drove the Pathfinder, but the wife came to the conclusion it was too small for our needs, especially after she sat in the second row seats of the Armada with all that room.

I am going to take a ride in the 07 Tahoe to get an idea how they compare.

Tinker
I had the door ajar indicator on for an entire week, could not figure out why, though I had a bum switch. just by chance I noticed that the rear glass hatch was not locking. After a glance into the manual - I found out why. In order to lock the rear hatch, you have tu puch on the glass handle until you hear it click - door ajar is no longer on. it was just telling you that the rear hatch was not secure.
In the meantime I have over 8000 miles on my "05 SE and love every minute.
Have a ratle in both front doors when the window is partially open - dealer will have to address that at next visit.
hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
We have an '05 LE with tech package that we bought new a year ago and we love it. We have 13k miles on it and have not had any issues. We have gotten as high as 21 mpg highway. We looked at the Sequoia, Suburban and even the QX56. The Sequoia is underpowered and smaller. The Surburban is just plain garbage. The QX56 was not worth another $10k period. Buy the Armada and don't look back. We love ours.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.