Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have had this darn ticking noise coming from behind the glovebox. I have read numerous times that the noise is actually coming from under the hood. People say it is caused by a ground wire that is undersized. Well, this weekend I took apart the truck and replaced the ground lead. The factory ground lead was 16ga wire. The purpose of this wire is to ground the lower mount of an engine computer to the engine block. I replaced the wire with a 4ga wire with gold ends. To my amazement, it fixed the problem! If anyone has this sound, I highly recomend spending the time doing this fix.

On another note, my dealer called me last week and said I was next in line for the new rotors. I have around 14K on my 04 and I only had the rotors turned once. I am very happy that my dealer is going to give me the improved rotors so soon. After the rotors, I can happily say that my Armada will be 100%. I don't regret my purchase at all.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
RichK said:
Well, I have had this darn ticking noise coming from behind the glovebox. I have read numerous times that the noise is actually coming from under the hood. People say it is caused by a ground wire that is undersized. Well, this weekend I took apart the truck and replaced the ground lead. The factory ground lead was 16ga wire. The purpose of this wire is to ground the lower mount of an engine computer to the engine block. I replaced the wire with a 4ga wire with gold ends. To my amazement, it fixed the problem! If anyone has this sound, I highly recomend spending the time doing this fix.

On another note, my dealer called me last week and said I was next in line for the new rotors. I have around 14K on my 04 and I only had the rotors turned once. I am very happy that my dealer is going to give me the improved rotors so soon. After the rotors, I can happily say that my Armada will be 100%. I don't regret my purchase at all.
Glad the fix worked. I got my rotors first time I walked in. They are catching up in stock now. The dealer had a surplus. ;)

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Different fix

I also had the ticking upon acceleration. My dealer tightened the right bank of spark plugs to the correct torque and it went away. So, for all of you beefing up the ground wire (never a bad idea), it may also be wise to check the torque of the right side bank of plugs. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Ground lead

I found the ground lead mount on the engine block, but cannot see where it goes under the plastic enclosure that contains the fuse blocks. Can any tell me where the other end of the ground lead is?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I have noise comes under the hood , i have been spend alot of times the solve the problem but i fount that noise comes the luck of the hood if you shake the car you will hear littile noise but you open the hood and shake it you will not hear i lower the luck and adjust it and its gane the nose.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JJGOLD said:
I found the ground lead mount on the engine block, but cannot see where it goes under the plastic enclosure that contains the fuse blocks. Can any tell me where the other end of the ground lead is?
Unfortunately, you need to remove the plastic inner fender cover. It isn't too bad. It is held in place by a few screws and plastic "rivets". It takes about 15 minutes to remove it. Once removed, the ground screw is in plain sight. You want to replace that ground lead. I used 4GA but 8GA may work. I also ran a wire from the engine block bolt to the ground bolt beside the battery. So I replaced one, and added another. In my opinion, the end result is definitely worth the trouble. The ticking has been eliminated and the truck seems to run smoother too.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
When?

RichK said:
I tried the spark plug torque route, but the ticking was still there. Hence the better ground lead.
When did you hear ticking? All the time or after you shut the truck off? When I shut my truck off, after about 30 seconds I hear a noise that sounds like the heater/aircon is closing some fresh air vents or something.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ticking sound happens upon acceleration or cruising. Or, essentially, any time you drive the truck. It is not audible at idle. It kinda sounds like a valve tap. Pretty annoying especially if you sit in the passenger seat.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Call it like it is

b'sarmada said:
Any TSBs out there on this? Have been to the dealer and they have told me it is "standard" on all the Armadas.

Thanks.
B.S. :thumbdown :fullofit:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
FL_Crushin said:
When I shut my truck off, after about 30 seconds I hear a noise that sounds like the heater/aircon is closing some fresh air vents or something.
Thats exactly what it is. All the doors/dampers in the A/C system are driven by electric servos. After about 30 seconds these close. If you watch your instrument panel you will also see the speedometer and tach jump. This is all normal.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
ticking

My tick is only around 1500-2200 rpm and only when in gear. It sounds like valve clatter. Is this the same tick everyone else has?

Everytime I pull into the dealership, the tick isn't there for me to show them.

Jason

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.