Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all - 2015 Platinum Reserve, bought new at end of 2016 in Pgh. Currently 74k miles. Ironically for the Reserve package it doesn't have sun/moon roof and instead the ceiling is lined from front to back with little cabinets that you'd put sunglasses in. Maybe it was a one off or some kind of little experiment. Though some are bigger than others. I can't think of any other deviations from the norm.

I guess as for most people here, I just really like my truck. I don't like the new body style they came out with after 2015, though the 2021 kind of harkens back to the old style with it's beefy front end.

I'd like to make it last a long life, and hopefully by the time I'm ready to upgrade in a few years they'll have come full circle back to the old body style. Probably a pipe dream though.
Anyhow, what can I do, apart from mods and upgrading this or that, to make it run like it new for hopefully at least 150k miles. I really only know of oil changes and tire rotations, but what about changing rear differential fluid, or transfer case fluid? I'm not mechanically inclined so I'm not sure if the aforementioned things need done yet, or when, and anything else that will hopefully ensure it running like new up to the desired mileage.

Thx in advance!
Eric in Pgh.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Just follow the manufacture maintenance schedule. But definitely Oil, Tranny, and Coolant changes at their proper intervals. Drive belts too. 150K is nothing for these beasts. With TLC... they will run forever. Spark Plugs at 105K. At 74K you should be changing the Oil, drive belts, Tranny fluid at the least.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes, you were spot on with everything you listed.
-Regular service, oil, air filter, etc.
-Coolant flush.
-Plugs.
-Front/Rear diff fluid.
-T-case fluid.

I tow and service my T-case and diffs a little sooner, that's for my own piece of mind.

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL RWD
22 Posts
Anybody install an oil catch-can? I emailed JLT Performance - they have a unit that fits the Titan, but the 2021 Armada has an additional radiator reservoir that gets in the way…so they are looking at building a new bracket. Here’s a pic of the engine bay w/the reservoir, in front of the air intake.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Anybody install an oil catch-can? I emailed JLT Performance - they have a unit that fits the Titan, but the 2021 Armada has an additional radiator reservoir that gets in the way…so they are looking at building a new bracket. Here’s a pic of the engine bay w/the reservoir, in front of the air intake.

View attachment 50336
That's a very busy engine compartment. Are all 2nd Gen engines look like this? My 1st Gen could benefit the addition of a "catch-can" . Let me start with cleaning/replacing my PVC valves first. Haven't checked them since new... Yikes!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts

View attachment 50336
Why? The only reason I would install an oil catch can would be to solve an oil related problem. Do you have an oil related problem that a catch can would solve. If no then don't bother.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why? The only reason I would install an oil catch can would be to solve an oil related problem. Do you have an oil related problem that a catch can would solve. If no then don't bother.
I was thinking that an oil catch can might help keep a direct injection engine cleaner on the top - maybe I'm wrong? I was just asking and looking for useful mods to support longevity.

Reactions: OBXPatrol

·
Registered
259 Posts
Catch cans keep the oil fumes out of the intake and therefore the top end of the engine.

By design they do keep engines cleaner. But usually found on vehicles that generate higher HP and higher crankcase pressures.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I was thinking that an oil catch can might help keep a direct injection engine cleaner on the top - maybe I'm wrong? I was just asking and looking for useful mods to support longevity.
View attachment 50340
Wasn't trying to bust your chops, but posts like "I've got this problem and would like to know if an oil catch can would help" will get better and more informative responses. Just trying to tease out of you why you wanted it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wasn't trying to bust your chops, but posts like "I've got this problem and would like to know if an oil catch can would help" will get better and more informative responses. Just trying to tease out of you why you wanted it.
No problems here - Mada's running like a champ! But, as the subject was "Tips for Long Life" I thought I may chime in with a catch-can discussion. I've got thick skin (y) no worries!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts