Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my new tire and wheel set up balanced 3 times but still get a steering wheel shake over 55 mph, this did not happen on the OEM tires. I keep suggesting they do the Road Force Balancing, but they don't think I need it. They say it will cost me $40, told them that is fine, but they don't seem to want to do it, yet they work like crazy on the rebalance. I am not very familiar with the process, but want my Mada to ride at 85 like it does at 45 which is awesome. Any suggestions? And would the RFB fix the problem?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Having the same problem with the shimmy in the steering wheel. I'm still trying to find someone in my area that can do a ROAD FORCE balance. I don't have a DISCOUNT TIRE place around me.
I had a bit of a shake even with the OEM rims and wheels, now that I have my aftermarket rims on (with the same Contis) It shakes a bit more. They can't seem to balance them very good. Don't know if it is the crap tires or my rims.
A couple of places said that they had a hard time fitting a cone into my new rims so they could put it on the balancing machine....they just couldn't find the right fit. One guy said I would be better off with NO weights on my tires. Do you think he's right? :confused:

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Hey Weezer,

You might ask your tire shops if they have a Hunter 9300 balancing machine- it will do a road-force balance and I have to believe someone in your area has one. They're pretty common these days.

No weights on your tires? I guess it all depends on if they balance better without them.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
NO WAY WILL YOU BE BETTER OFF WITH NO WEIGHTS :clueless: !!! You just need to find a place that can balance them properly. Go to a place that specializes in aftermarket wheels/rims. Their customers that are spending $5k plus for rims will not put up with unbalanced tires.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I have called a few places and asked if they have the HUNTER.....BUT I thought it was GSP9700? :confused:
Do you guys know if NISSAN would have that machine? So why do you guys think they couldn't FIT my rims on the machine....do you think my rims are defective? That would make 3 guys telling me the SAME THING....maybe it is the rim.

THESE RIMS HAVE GIVEN ME NOTHIN BUT TROUBLE SINCE DAY 1! :machinegu

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
It might be the 9700- Honestly I don't know what's up with your rims. Maybe you've got a bunch of nimrods at your tire places? :)

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Out of curiosity, do you know the offset of your rims? The reason why I am asking is that sometimes a positive offset that is too extreme can cause steering wheel shake, even with the most properly balanced wheel. Also, look into the hub size that your rim accomodates. If the hub size on the rim is bigger than the actual hub diameter on the rotor, then this could present a problem as well.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Well, I got the hub centric rings...they said that should help. UH...I forget the offset....DAMN! I think it was the same as the Nissan rim. The center bore was obviously MUCH BIGGER.

I SUCK! :mad:

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Have you tried rotating the tires? I asked because you did you mention in your post. I have the similar problem wth my OEM tires and OEM rim. The steering wheel will have the shimmy effect at around 70-75 mph. The stealer did not do "sh*t" about it except giving me hardtime. I finally moved the tires myself from the front to rear and it fixed my shimmy problem. I can still feel the very minor vibration and it could be from the rear tires now.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the hub centric rings as well, they forgot them the first time and it was horrible, they apologized and added those at no cost. But have been back in twice, I am going to go to one of their other shops up the road that does have the RFB machine avialable, I will let you know if it works. Just one other note, they did replace one of the tires, they found a defect in it, so tires can be the source as well.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I could NEVER get rid of the shimmy on my original contis so I changed to the Michs XTerrian which were then road balanced. Problem solved.

With a road force balance they can determine where each tire should go on the car as well as the high and low spots on the wheels and the same on the tires so they can place the wheel on the tire in a position that gives the smoothest ride.

With a road force balance they can tell you how out of round or out of balance your combo is and indicate whether you should contact the tire manufacturer about a defective tire.

If they say a road force balance won't help, the next question should be what about the quality of the tires?

I know you are not using contis, but with some tires you may not be able to get rid of the shimmy with a rfb. At that time you may have to fuss with the tire store.

Before Discount Tire, I had a set of tires put on a MB Suv by the local home town tire store. Drove on them for a month, came back and said I just wasn't happy with the tires. He said he would take the Dunlops back and put on Michs if I would pay the difference. I was ecstatic he would do this without having a battle. He said it wasn't that unusual and that Dunlop would take them back so he wasn't hurt.

That started my love affair with Mich tires on Suvs.

My point is that with the first rfb on the Armada, I got rid of 90% of the shimmy, but it would eventually be felt if I drove fast enough. I even tried to convince myself it was gone or at least gone "enough". Wife drove the truck and told me to quit kidding myself...there was still a shimmy! I finally gave up and got new tires and it went away after the balance. No shimmy or shake even at 110.

I think your options are to try the rfb. If it still shimmys, you may have to think about new tires. Sucks, I know. Good luck.

Allen

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
crash4444 said:
I have the hub centric rings as well, they forgot them the first time and it was horrible, they apologized and added those at no cost. But have been back in twice, I am going to go to one of their other shops up the road that does have the RFB machine avialable, I will let you know if it works. Just one other note, they did replace one of the tires, they found a defect in it, so tires can be the source as well.
I hope the RFB solves your problem and if it doesn't here's what you need to do: you need to have those people test each rim/tire combo. they need to put each rim with the tire mounted on the balance machine, rotate it to see if there's any bouncing motion (up and down) or any wiggling motion (side to side). this is all visual. if you see any of the two then they need to take the tire off the rim and put the rim only on the balance machine. if you see any of the two then your rim is either bent or off center. if the rim is rotating smoothly on the balance machine without any visual up/down or side by side movement then your rim is ok. that leaves the tire with possible heavy spots and this causes your steering wheel to shake. many tire shop sell "blems" tires. these are defective tires and many times they come off the assembly line with heavy spots but assume that the balance will correct it. that's why some tires are way more expensive than others because the rubber is evenly distribute within the tire and they are easier to balance with less weight. You need to stay on these people and let them know that you are not happy with this purchase because the more miles you put on those tires the more hassle they'll give you to replace or fix the problem. they will probably accuse you of hitting your rim and bending it. good luck with this cause I went trhu this twice before and it is very very frustrating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts