Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago I got myself a set of Cooper Discoverer H/T's for the Armada and before putting them on I thought I'd try my hand at painting the letters on the tire. Ordered a 3 pack of tire paint pens and watched a few YouTube How-to vids on it, but the one thing none of the videos mentioned was the fact that large tire letters (bigger than 1/2" tall) would take more than one paint pen per tire (I'm guessing a lot more than the three I bought). These are really just for letters on tires smaller than 1/2" (1.5 cm). For reference from the included picture these paint pens would have been perfect for the cursive "Plus" on the tire. Think I'll get some newspaper, painters tape, and some white oil based spray paint and finish these tires up.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I remember raised white letters were a big thing when I was in high school back in the (YIKES!!) late 70's. It kept going for a few years, maybe a decade, then people stopped doing it, and black walls were back. In the 60's, if I remember right, it was red-line tires. Funny that white letters are back. Wonder when we'll start seeing red-lines again. Or, better yet, wide whitewalls from the 50's!!

I have a 65 Buick Gran Sport. When I bought it it had BF Goodrich tires with raised white letters. When I replaced the tires, I went back and forth on whether I should keep the letters. Ended up putting them to the inside.

OP, when you get this done, post a pic of the tires mounted on your truck. Be interested to see how that looks.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started "Plan B" by trying to make a stencil today, but after getting the word "COOPER" done I realized it took me over an hour just to do that part, so "Plan C" is to just tape off the tire around the letters and spray it that way. Honestly I think it will be significantly less time consuming.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Full disclosure. After trying to tape off the letters around one of the tires I realized just how time consuming this process was going to be and also realized I was never going to be satisfied with the results. If you really have to have white letters on a tire you bought without it I'd suggest buying aftermarket tire stickers for it.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
My son used those on his Focus RS. Looked kind of cool when he first did it, but after a couple of weeks, looked terrible. He liked it, to each his own, I guess. I did stuff to my cars when I was young that I'm sure my Dad shook his head at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts