Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it seems that I am not alone and imaging all the problems I am having with this new vehicle. 40K + for a vehicle and at 16K miles it seems like it's falling apart. I have had the shimmy at 70mph, the rotors warping and brakes going south quick, and the window problem. However, I haven't heard anything on the tire sensors from anyone....so I am sending this to all who look. The tire sensors are crap. I am going on the my third visit to the dealer with this problem. After 20miles or so of continuous riding, my tire sensor light comes on and doesn't read pressure on the display. I have had one replaced already and going on the second one now (two different tires). Just wondering if the other tires are going to follow suit yet. If you are having the same problems, would like to hear if you have them resolved. Also, watch the fuel pump/sensor. It crapped the bed at 15900. Had to have the whole shibang replaced already, too.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
When I went to the dealer for my 4,000 mile check-up, they told me they had to patch a tire due to a screw. It didn't dawn on me that that my sensors DID NOT go off and had been driving around with a low tire. Ended up that I put aftermarket rims on the Mada and took off the sensors anyway...BUT...when I did take them off... my sensor light NEVER came on and they should have. Do we REALLY need them....how many vehicles have this anyway? I know the Corvette (sp?) does. Maybe they do help...IF THEY WORK! WHO KNOWS?? I could be wrong, but I just said the HECK with 'em.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
It can be a good thing

this reply is for weezr17, the pressure monitoring system is a good idea if it works properly, the reason for the corvette haaving it is because it comes standard with run-flat tires, you need to know that hey you have a whole and need to replace them and what better way thatn to have that monitoring sys. So Nissan had good intentions but maybe they just need to work out a couple of the bugs or equip the trucks with run-flats.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
OH....THERE YOU ARE! How come you never answered the posts about the CHROME TRIM?
ANYWAY.....there is no doubt that they (sensors) can only help....like I said...IF they work. My way of thinking was that all my other cars don't have this so whats the big deal. You are right though, it can be a good thing.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
weezr17 said:
When I went to the dealer for my 4,000 mile check-up, they told me they had to patch a tire due to a screw. It didn't dawn on me that that my sensors DID NOT go off and had been driving around with a low tire.
Hi,

I deliberately tested mine by letting the air out of each tire one at a time. The light came on everytime the PSI dropped to 28psi. Maybe you're tire that had the screw did not drop below that point for it to trigger the light.

What I did was let the air out of one tire and checked the light inside. it finally came on at 28psi. I then aired it back up and proceeded to the next tire. They all came on at 28psi on the nose. Not all tire pressure gauges are the same. I bought a high quality one so if you use a gauge, just make sure the light comes on at the same point.

Fred

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
HEY FRED-
I did think of that.....maybe the pressure didn't get that low. That could have been the case BUT why didn't the light come on when they took the sensors out....isn't the light supposed to come on when they are taken off too? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I changed my wheels and had no sensors at all. The light turned on the first time I drove over 25miler per hour. Then the light turned off and never came back on.
Since then, I've put the sensors in my new wheels and I think they work??? No light is on.....

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
weezr17 said:
HEY FRED-
I did think of that.....maybe the pressure didn't get that low. That could have been the case BUT why didn't the light come on when they took the sensors out....isn't the light supposed to come on when they are taken off too? :confused:
I had my Mada' idling when I did the test. I don't know if the light will turn on with the ignition on but the motor off. I'm assuming your motor was off when he took your wheel and tire off. Not sure if it has to be mounted on the vehicle in order for it to work also.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
You have to be moving for the sensors to work.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
My tire pressure light illuminated this morning and I found the left rear to be a little low. Filled the tire and unfortunately the light is still on. Guess it's off to the service department as all the tires have proper pressure in them.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
You have to drive for a while before the light will turn off. Don't make a trip to the dealer until you check pressure in all four tires and then drive for 15-20 minutes.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I take back the part about the tire being low. The light is still on, but the pressure was around 32 pounds, hardly low enough below the (35 on the placard). I thought I was low based on the tire wall max pressure of 44#. I don't want to make a trip to the dealer just for a light as i eventually want the brakes fixed so will just act like it's a Ford and always inspect carefully before driving.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Watch Out

Gunslinger 420 - Watch out about that sensor...once that they have been reported to the computer as low they don't reset themselves. I know it appears that they do, but internally they don't. At least that's the bull I am getting from my dealer. I am on my 4th venture in a month to the dealer. The first one they said...the sensors don't reset. So they reset them and I drove home and the light was on. Went back next day, they replaced the tire sensor. Drove it home and the light came on. Different sensor. Took it back again they replaced that sensor. Drove it home and guess what! The light came on again...different sensor. It starts with the first sensor on the display and works its way downward. The dealer said that they will replace the two final sensors. I guess they are tired of seeing my smiling face!!!! I am so angry with this truck I am on my way to LEMON LAW. Haven't even had it a year yet! Let it go off again! The TSBs only show a vague description of the TMS and a problem they have when they rotate the tires. I just had my tires rotated at 9000 also. GEE I WONDER!

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
grlpnut said:
Gunslinger 420 - Watch out about that sensor...once that they have been reported to the computer as low they don't reset themselves.
Thanks for the heads up Gripnut. I don't think I have a problem and seems to be OK. I purchased aftermarket wheels and tires at about 300 miles and they put the sensors in the new wheels and the light didn't come on. At about 1,700 miles I decided to do that test I did. The light came on at 28psi and after airing it back up the light went out. I did that at each wheel and the light always came on at 28psi and went off when aired back up.

On your case, it may not be the sensors. It could be the receiver that is faulty. Have you asked about that when going to the dealer?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
the Tire saga, part one

I agree that the sensors are a pain, but they have saved my :moon: more than once. I got a screw in the right rear and got the light (and audible), which made me air it up and then get it fixed later.

Downside is that I think one sensor is leaking, but only under load. Here's the story: Went to dealer on a Thursday and got tires rotated (and pressures checked). Friday afternoon, I checked the air all around again (as I have too much history with changing tires already), then we packed up for a trip and I attached the trailer. Left town, got about 90 miles before I got the light. No audible, just the light. I of course pulled over ASAP and checked pressures all around. Right rear was 20, all others 40+. Unhitched, pulled into a level shady spot and jacked up the beast. I didn't use the screw jack in the back, as it is a POS (and I don't mean Point Of Sale) - I've already bent one and had to return it. Used a much beefier one supplied by the nice rancher whose driveway I was blocking. Back on the road using the spare.

The system behaves strangely with one tire minus the sensor. After about 25 miles, the light came on. About 25 more and it went out again. Has been doing that for the last two weeks.

Went yesterday to the dealer and tried to get them to fix the problem. They couldn't find anything wrong with either the sensor or the tire (went to a tire shop for this last). Of course they didn't try it under load... I am going back tomorrow for F-2-F with the service manager.

Note: I am of course running the OEM Contis

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
More of the Tire Saga

After meeting with the service manager (nice guy with a really tough job...), he agreed to fix the problem. He called his buddy at the local Big Brand tire store. "Buddy" recommended re-doing the valve stem or re-mounting (as the tire could have been mounted a little "out-of-round". Nissan replaced the tire pressure monitor with a new part and re-mounted the tire. Been running it all week, no problem.

We are going to drive to Oregon coast Saturday (about 900 miles). This acid test will determine whether the fix is good or not. P.S. I bought a new tire gauge, too , just in case it's me...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts