Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, has anyone purchased a set of tire sensors for the wheels?? Was wondering what they are running for. Debating on whether to buy an extra set to put on my new wheels and leave my stock ones on my now winter ride tires. Any input greatly appreciated!
:)

· Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Last time I checked ther were about $80.00 each. Not cheap! Check with our sponsors; they will make you a good deal. Also check the For Sale sections here and on ClubTitan; there have been sensors listed there.

· Premium Member
1,256 Posts
The only problem with having 2 sets of wheels and 2 sets of sensors is that everytime you switch wheels, you have to go to dealer and have them reprogram computer to match up with wheels you put on.
what I do is switch the sensors back and forth between the wheels. It's a pain but it costs $50 the make the switch at a local wheel shop.

Otherwise, you gotta go deal with the dealer everytime. and they will charge you. The quoted me $80 to reprogram each time.

· Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, and Andy, I was wondering that same thing about having a set for each if the set not being run at the time would need reprogrammed, well that sux. Might as well use the set I got and not shell out more then I have too.
Thanks again guys for the input!

· Premium Member
315 Posts
When I had my rims changed along with the sensors, they guy who did it told me that he just reset the pressure amount..and he said it wasn't hard to do at all. So i'm thinking that it wouldn't be impossible for us to do it ourselves. Anyone know about this?

· Premium Member
249 Posts
Re Tire Sensors program

bowhuntnsteve said:
Thanks guys, and Andy, I was wondering that same thing about having a set for each if the set not being run at the time would need reprogrammed, well that sux. Might as well use the set I got and not shell out more then I have too.
Thanks again guys for the input!
I would like to know also.....:hi:

· Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
reason for question

this thread all started becuz I bought a set of Infinity QX 56 rims and tires off a guy that are new. I just was thinking, should these have come with sensors in them as well? Or does the QX not have sensors in their tires? I am a lil bent becuz I got them off a guy on eBay out of Texas and they are in transit right now. He then proceeds after the sale that these are new rims straight off the vehicle at the dealership, tires have less than 25 miles on them BUT they are a little dusty from sitting out in a field during this time and need some cleaning. Then he says he cleaned 1 with WD-40 to show me they are very good and will come clean. If you look at the picture on what I bought, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...em=8056725001&sspagename=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:31 , these are shiny new! Grant it, $600 for the rims & tires are a great deal, shipping I checked into and he lost under $10 bucks on that, but for me to have to clean them up yanks my chain a bit. He is profiting from these since they pimped the rides out and put new sneakers on those QX's. Maybe I am just making it more then it is.... but still pissed! :moon:

· Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Those wheels came with the sensors, so they should be there. I looked at the pictures, and I think the sensors are in place.

· Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Mamas_Armada said:
When I had my rims changed along with the sensors, they guy who did it told me that he just reset the pressure amount..and he said it wasn't hard to do at all. So i'm thinking that it wouldn't be impossible for us to do it ourselves. Anyone know about this?
I don't think this is correct. The sensors transmit the pressure to the receiver. On the nav systems the pressure is indicated; on the non nav systems there is just a light and buzzer to indicate low pressure. The low pressure point is set at 28 PSI, and can't be changed.

· Premium Member
315 Posts
scr38 said:
I don't think this is correct. The sensors transmit the pressure to the receiver. On the nav systems the pressure is indicated; on the non nav systems there is just a light and buzzer to indicate low pressure. The low pressure point is set at 28 PSI, and can't be changed.
Really? He said he set the pressure to 40psi. Got to find out about that...

· Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
scr38,
Honestly, those pictures he used on the eBay auction is the same pix he uses for every single auction! My mada flashes on my dash when my tires are low, I don't have the nav system in mine, so the sensors on the tires were my fault of ignorance. BUT I am guessing since he told me this,

"When you change over your sensors, you might just get them to spin them to make sure that they are still in balance.... I just wrapped them for ship out and noticed how dusty they were. When Infiniti ships the cars, they have a plastice covering on the wheels. When the dealership pulls that covering off, it is really sticky and then this particular dealership parks the vehicles in a dusty field. Thus, the wheels look like they are covered and all. I simply spray WD-40 on them and wipe with a dry cloth (papertowel) and it comes off so easy. I did one wheel for you to show that there were no scratches or anything wrong with them accept for a little brake dust and dust dust..... LOL... You will be very pleased with the wheels."

SO since they have valve stems, would the sensors be there or not? Should I go back & email him & say, "Ummm Hey, in the pix, they show the sensors, PLUS cleaned rims, so ship me the sensors??" I dealt with this guy thru eBay, so I have yet to leave a remark about the sale from him. This sux being a newbie to this all.. ACK!

· Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Look at the valve stems when they come in. It they are aluminum and have a nut on the stem then they are the sensors. If the stems are rubber they don't have the sensors. The wheels came from the factory with sensors, and I doubt that he took them out. If they don't have sensors in them I would sure ask him to furnish them.

· Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Mamas_Armada said:
Really? He said he set the pressure to 40psi. Got to find out about that...
I think this is BS. Why would he set the system to go off at 40 PSI? If that was true the alarm would be going off all the time. The tech I have talked to about this said that the pressure setting can't be changed, and there is no procedure in the service manual to change the setting.
Look at attachment.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,590 Posts
scr38 said:
Look at the valve stems when they come in. It they are aluminum and have a nut on the stem then they are the sensors. If the stems are rubber they don't have the sensors. The wheels came from the factory with sensors, and I doubt that he took them out. If they don't have sensors in them I would sure ask him to furnish them.
When I bought my QX wheels, they had the steel stems, but the sensors had been removed. I took the sensors from my old wheels and put them on the QX wheels, then re-balanced them.

PS - I only paid $425 for my wheels local (no shipping), including tires, no sensors.

· Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I paid $500 for 4 brand new QX56 wheels and tires.
The sensors were taken out and tires remounted and balanced.
I picked up so no shipping charges.
This was about a year ago.

· Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
necessity??

ok, I was just at the tire shop looking to get an appt. to swap up tires off stock rims for my ones that I have had on standby, plus put my new infinity rims & tires on my truck. The guy said he doesn't see too many vehicles with the sensors and doesn't know do much with them or particularly know much, I am thinking ohhhh greeaaaaaat. So that there tells me the past 2 times he has changed my tires, the sensors have never been done since I originally bought the truck.

SO my question is to you all knowing peeps, do I really need the sensors activated?? I have been going this long without them supposively, bought it 01/04 & currently on my 3rd set of sneakers @ 74,000 miles, do I necessarily need to activate the sensors, I may not be a mechanic but I do know when I see a tire going down I can refill it or check it out. It just seems like it is going to be more a pain in the butt swapping them back & forth everytime I switch sets or get new sneakers for it.
Looking forward to your help! :)

· Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Maybe you need to get a new tire guy. He should know about the sensors. Many vehicles have tire sensors, and I have heard that they are going to be a Federal requirement soon for all cars.
You don't have to install the sensors. Without them you will get a warning light after about 45 minutes of driving. It will turn off when you stop the engine, but will come back on again after about 45 minutes.

· Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup, I went to another tire guy today! He insisted that the sensors be taken off my mada stockies and put onto the infinity's. done did it. looks really sharp, he just recommended changing the stock chrome caps that came with the mada to something else, he has been seeing kinds like that oxidizing to the valve stem and then ruining the sensor, mine were not that bad but looked close from living in this northern snow region, so I will look for some new ones, he said there is a plastic grey cap out there that look chrome like and then no oxidation problems. Man I can already predict this websight is gonna impact my wallet!! :eek:) Just have to do it reasonably and 1 step at a time.. Next HID's!!

· Premium Member
424 Posts
So the only way is to swap out the stock sensors to your new wheels and tires setup. Did anyone find out how difficult it is to reprogram a new set of tire sensor for the Armada? I don't like the idea of spending money whenever I switch between my stocks and aftermarket wheels.

· Premium Member
3,590 Posts
ezemaxima said:
So the only way is to swap out the stock sensors to your new wheels and tires setup. Did anyone find out how difficult it is to reprogram a new set of tire sensor for the Armada? I don't like the idea of spending money whenever I switch between my stocks and aftermarket wheels.
Dealer has to do it, as far as I know.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.